PDA

View Full Version : Engine Vibrating!!

JohnnyBass
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
My engine vibrates quite bad. I think it may be the tranny or engine mounts. Possibly broken or poorly attached. Anyone have any ideas or similiar stories?

JohnnyBass
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
It only happens when I'm in drive and idle.

mbssbm
11-17-2002, 07:04 PM
i would suggest having the motor mounts checked, thats what it sounds like to me.

Kain
11-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

1. Motor mounts

2. Low tranny fluid

3. Bad spark plug/wire causing a mis in one cylinder.

4. Faulty injector in one cylinder

5. Harmonic balencer needs replacing

I've listed them more or less in the order of liklyhood. I've had experience with all of them causing vibrations. On a Galant though, the top two are gonna be way more likely than the rest.

IllestGalant
11-25-2002, 09:29 PM
It rattles in drive but not in reverse or both?
When you put it in neutral it is gone?
Engine mounts and tranny mounts not a likely cause without the movement of the vehicle. A bad injector would cause a misfire and would
be noticeable at all times.
I had the same concern in my car and i found that the turbine pump in the torque coverter had taken a crap on me. Was expensive because the flywheel is part of the torque converter. So prepare to pay up or suck it up.

Aussie Galant
11-28-2002, 08:22 PM
I had a similar problem, when I put the car in drive the engine would vibrate and when I put it in neutral or reverse it stopped. I had just had the tranny replaced so I took it back to the shop to get them to check it out. I turned out that one of the bolts in the engine mounts had snapped. If you stand in front of your car with the bonnet up and look down the front of your engine you will see your front engine mount, check that the bolt has not snapped and fallen out.

Hope this helps 8)

redlobster
12-07-2002, 12:21 PM
my flywheel bolts were really loose and my car engine was vibrating an it sounded like metal on metal, my mechanic checked balancer and belts and thats what it was.
dont know if it will help at all but thats just my 2 cents