View Full Version : Gutting My cat

Los
11-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Alright I've heard some of you have gutted the cats on your rides. Are there any major things I need to know before I do this. While I'm at it what else can I do to increase performance. I currently have Cai, I've done the MAS screw mod, throtle cable mod, throtle body bypass mode,got wires and plugs.
Have I missed anything I can do myself before I start moving up to headers and such.

Los

Alister_McRae
11-17-2002, 09:26 PM
Well after reading some things on club 3g, i dont reccomend gutting your cat, because here is why. "You COULD just gut your cats, but the empty shell of your cats will create <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>wonderful little vortecies (little tornados) and reduce performance</span>. Plus, when it's time to go to emissions, you'll fail miserably." "(This info is off club 3g). I would just stick with a HFC or something along those lines.

Los
11-17-2002, 09:30 PM
alright another question,.... I got a cali spec ride.... Will gutting my precat still have the same affect. I wasn't planning on doing both, just the precat. I could've been a little clearer.

los

pinoyesv6
11-17-2002, 09:40 PM
you'll pass emissions by gutitng jsut the precat here in MD. you might wanna consider getting a downpipe made up for a lil bit more peformance than just gutting out the cat

Alister_McRae
11-17-2002, 09:41 PM
I heard from a couple people said gutting the pre-cat can actually be very benifitial (terrible spelling...lol) But its only good on cars with turbo, on N/A cars, its good to have a little back pressure. If your going turbo route like me, i would if i were you, it can have gains up to about 10 HP by gutting the precat with Forced Induction.

Fishboy55
11-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Carlos, If I were you, I'd just remove the precats all together and replace them with straight pipe. You're gonna have to completely remove them anyways, so you may as well just replace them with a piece of 2.5 inch pipe until you get your headers. You'll still pass MD emissions with them removed.

Chip