PDA

View Full Version : Importing Legnum from Japan - feasability

Mangoman
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok -

A lot of people here like myself, love the Legnum VR-4.

In fact - its probably the perfect car for me - sporty, fast, large trunk space and it has proper roof-racks !

I was searching around a little online and came accross a couple for sale by some Japanese car export companies. Then I started thinking - how difficult would it be to import and convert for US usage?

Granted - if I was living back in Ireland - it would be no problem having the RHD, but in CA thats obviously going to be a problem. I have heard that its possible to get it converted to LHD, and I would estimate it to be in the $1000-$1500 range to do so.

Anyone else know what else would need to be changed to meet US specs? (I know the crashbar, windshield and lights all need to be DOT approved, and in Cali, the Cat would need to be changed out). I know there are a bunch of taxes too - totalling about 10% of the value of the car if IIm correct.

Heres an example of what I am talking about - a 99 Legnum VR-4 TT type S, 44k miles, total price at 690,000 Japanese Yen = 5,779.41 US Dollar. (And I believe that includes shipping - but if not - add about another $1200 on for that)

http://www.bestjapancar.com/mitsubishi1111.htm

So, for a total investment of about $8k - It would be possible to have one of the most unique cars on the road that has all the parts readily available for it if anything breaks down.

Can I get peoples thoughts on it?

G-spot
10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.bestjapancar.com/MITSUBISHIS/vr4INC.JPG
TV included is an awesome deal, but considering the importing price and the conversion price doesn't add up correctly as you stated. $3k for shipping and conversion? What about the title and the custom agent junk. And don't forget the emmission dealie too. If that was the real price then most of the members would be driving one right now. Better do some more research on this cuz I sense "hidden fees" somewhere.

Xrs2
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
You could do a VIN swap, and hope no one notices its not a USDM 8G Galant. Haha I would ask Mante, he can give you specifics on the cost and what needs to be done.

pinoyesv6
10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
there was a guy i believe on the cvr4 forums that did a lhd conversion on a 8gvr4 and since the legnum vr4 front end is identical you might want to look for that and see what had to be done.

cardude03
10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
i can tell you, i am 85% sure that you can legally own a RHD car in California, because i have seen several around my area, including R34 Skylines, silvia's, and Roll's Royce's

Mangoman
10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
TV included is an awesome deal, but considering the importing price and the conversion price doesn't add up correctly as you stated. $3k for shipping and conversion? What about the title and the custom agent junk. And don't forget the emmission dealie too. If that was the real price then most of the members would be driving one right now. Better do some more research on this cuz I sense "hidden fees" somewhere.

I shouldve said about $8k if shipping was included - if not - then about $9-$9500.
Yeah - Im not too sure on how much all of the duties and taxes are - I was going through the list on the DMV site and the various regulatory sites - but none of them give actual amounts.

Thats partly the reason Im asking. Has anyone imported a car here before - and if they have - what sort of costs were involved.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You could do a VIN swap, and hope no one notices its not a USDM 8G Galant. Haha I would ask Mante, he can give you specifics on the cost and what needs to be done. </div>
Hahaha - yeah - probably get away with it too :)

Ill PM Mante soon and see what he says.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>there was a guy i believe on the cvr4 forums that did a lhd conversion on a 8gvr4 and since the legnum vr4 front end is identical you might want to look for that and see what had to be done.</div>

Ill have to check that out - do you have a link ? (cvr4.com is not working for me)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i can tell you, i am 85% sure that you can legally own a RHD car in California, because i have seen several around my area, including R34 Skylines, silvia's, and Roll's Royce's</div>

Yeah - its not so much the legality as it is the comfort to drive on a LHD road. Ive seen RHD cars around and am pretty sure you are right about it being legal - but to enjoy it more - I think a swap would be in order.

Thanks for the comments guys !

shaneb
10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
actually it wouldn't need to be converted to left hand drive
as they import skylines to the us and keep the rhd

fatal1
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
thas cool bro hope it all goes good

Reelax
10-24-2006, 11:46 PM
if you can do it for less than &#036;25K total then order me a 8gvr4 facelift model. i'll pay cash.

Sillyasianz
10-25-2006, 01:38 AM
^^^yea, he's a rich whore
I always wanted to import a Legnum over a regular VR4. Image you gut the whole back and roll cage that sucka, then have only a driver bucket seat and to be ballsy, put a baby seat in the middle rear of the car. Everytime you spank someone they see a babyseat in the back surrounded by a rollcage and crossmember bars....awesome!

Dominicano
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
From my understanding there are only three things that need to be changed on the VR-4 to have it legal for US, Crash bar, windshield and headlights that is it. handing RHD is not illegal but the latter must comply with us crash test.

DOHCstunr
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
its going to be a bitch to have that car in cali.

you will have to register it as a kit car.
and they only allow i think like 2000 of thos special registrations a year.
and guess what.
they on average are depleted in the first day of the new year (jan 2)

Mangoman
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
DOHCstunr - why would it have to be registered as a Kit car? I was under the impression that a kit car is one where a certain % of it has been altered/modified so it doesnt conform closely to any single manufacturers specs. This one would be treated a a "grey" import would it not? Its the exact same car as a USDM galant except for a few minor changes (and obviously the fact its a wagon and not a sedan!). I know when ppl in the military import their foreign cars they are treated as a grey market car.

Reelax
10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
DOHCstunr - why would it have to be registered as a Kit car? I was under the impression that a kit car is one where a certain % of it has been altered/modified so it doesnt conform closely to any single manufacturers specs. This one would be treated a a "grey" import would it not? Its the exact same car as a USDM galant except for a few minor changes (and obviously the fact its a wagon and not a sedan!). I know when ppl in the military import their foreign cars they are treated as a grey market car.

do the resaerch and get back to me.

Proto
10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
www.evolutionimports.com

major importer right there

Mangoman
10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with a seemingly very knowledgable person at the DMV.

Kit car registrations as I suspected are for when a car is heavily modified from original manufacturers spec, or built from scratch. Any modifications for the import of one of these would not fall under that category (since as Dominicano mentions and I also read elsewhere, it is limited to Crash bar, windshield and headlights).

Also, the paperwork they need is: cars documentation, Customs declaration, and Smog info. They also need to verify all the paperwork on the car (fee assesed to do so) and physically inspect it. Obviously there would be some elements that would have to change to pass the smog, but wouldnt be a huge amount I would think . . .

I think Im going to give this a bit more serious thought.

Dominicano
10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
oh yeah and if it has AYC it has to be disabled or removed I think.

Mangoman
10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Ok - now I see where the problem arises.

According to the NHTSA - proof has to be submitted that the RHD version of the car would perform the same as a LHD US version. And this is part of the documentation that is needed at the customs inpection.

Im guessing that the Galant would be an acceptable comparison - since its basically the exact same except for the trunk area (which makes the car more rigid anyway).

Of course Mitsu america doesnt have that info - but they did provide me with the email of someone at Mitsu Japan. I will be emailing them tomorrow I think.

cardude03
10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
if you do this, you will be my idol! and i will drive to your house right away to see this baby, and give you 10 dollars for your effort and the joy and hapiness you brought to many galant enthusiasts

Sillyasianz
10-26-2006, 02:51 AM
hell, id drive there and steal it....LOL

seanske99
11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I found this place. They Import to the US. I don't think that other place you had does.

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/2374/Mit...r-for-sale.html (http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/2374/Mitsubishi/Legnum/car-for-sale.html)

8gpricele&#036;&#036;_toy
11-10-2006, 02:14 PM
you have to be a member and have prior experience in importing a car to do business with that company.... read about it on there site.....