PDA

View Full Version : eBay coilovers

deejunx
10-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Maybe some of you here have come across to this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03-Mitsu...045130307QQrdZ1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03-Mitsubishi-Galant-Coilover-Low-Springs-00-01-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ017QQitemZ 270045130307QQrdZ1)

Just like it says, they are no-name coilovers for 8G. In the ad, the seller claims "Great to work with ORIGINAL stock shocks or any high performance aftermarket shocks with the SAME size as the stock one."

My question is, is it really that safe to use coilovers/lowering springs on original stock shocks? I know that it's best to upgrade the whole package, but when you're tight in budget.. it gets you to think alternatives hehe..

Anyway, to follow the rules.. my ride is 99 Galant ES BONE STOCK lol :lauging:

pinoyesv6
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
with those coilovers, it doesn't matter if you have factory shocks and struts or aftermarket ones just because 9 times out of 10, you're gonna hate those coilovers not only cuz the ride sucks, but also cuz its probably gonna break things, including your shocks and struts if you keep it there for a prolonged period of time.

deejunx
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
yeah i would thought so too.. but it's so tempting that you can drop it more than 2". I really hate the way the front end looks with the big gap between the fenders and the wheels. I guess go with the recommended setup: tein + GR-2? How about just tein springs with stock shocks? will that bust the shocks at some point? thanks

4g63lover
10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah i would thought so too.. but it's so tempting that you can drop it more than 2". I really hate the way the front end looks with the big gap between the fenders and the wheels. I guess go with the recommended setup: tein + GR-2? How about just tein springs with stock shocks? will that bust the shocks at some point? thanks

anytime you install lowering springs on a car, youre gunna have to replace the stock shocks because it will bottom out if you dont. when your car is lowered you most likely need short bodied shocks. how much is your budget?? cuz Megans coilovers are here.

deejunx
10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
anytime you install lowering springs on a car, youre gunna have to replace the stock shocks because it will bottom out if you dont. when your car is lowered you most likely need short bodied shocks. how much is your budget?? cuz Megans coilovers are here.

for now i'm looking at 200-250 for my budget. aren't megans expensive?

4g63lover
10-27-2006, 11:07 PM

oh aight yea megans are kinda out of reach for your budget. Theyre not as expensive as SS-P's. About the same price as the Tein basics except it has more functions i think. you can run on stck shocks with tein s-techs but youll have to replace the shocks sooner or later. and stay away from the counterfeit teins on ebay.

deejunx
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
oh aight yea megans are kinda out of reach for your budget. Theyre not as expensive as SS-P's. About the same price as the Tein basics except it has more functions i think. you can run on stck shocks with tein s-techs but youll have to replace the shocks sooner or later. and stay away from the counterfeit teins on ebay.

cool. thanks for the info man.. i'll look into them some more

Calipso
10-28-2006, 06:21 AM

Bring your budget up a tad, it'll make a difference.

Like 4g63lover said, stay away from eBay for Teins.....unless it is a trusted seller. (Very few of them on eBay)

-Tein S-Tech's ($100 shipped from a member on TGC)
-KYB AGX's ($320 shipped from eBay, I bought them from him because the guy's feedback is 8,000+ and 99.9% positive)

Would I do anything different? Yup, I would have gotten the GR-2's instead of the AGX's. For me AGX's were overkill, but I felt like indulging into some good struts for my car. If I could do it again, I'd get just the basic GR-2's though.

11-01-2006, 03:01 PM

Your budget will not allow you to get quality coilovers. I would either just settle for springs. Or save some money and get yourself some tein coils of some sort.

Skillz911
11-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Me^