PDA

View Full Version : 4g64 assistance...please...

TurboGalant
11-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey guys and gals, I am in need of some 4g64 expertise...

I am burning oil pretty nicely. A compression check this weekend has my cylinders between 120 and 155 psi. I am leaking oil out of the breather filter on the valve cover.

I am thinking about taking my car to the local machine shop and having them open it up and see what I've done to my baby. So, as long as it is open, what can I get done to it to strengthen my engine (it is turbo). I can start buying parts now and get the work done after the new year, but I am not really sure what all I can do.

I would like to get stronger valves, valve springs, and better seals (RPW?)
A thicker head gasket.
Maybe new pistons and rings (wiseco, perhaps?)
Better camshaft.
Already have a cam gear.
Perhaps go ahead with the DOHC conversion (as long as the head is off any way)

Any help/ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Richmond

Kain
11-18-2002, 02:11 PM
4g64 bottom end is "indestructable" so, beyond maybe lowering the compression and/or new rings, I'd leave it alone. Maybe getting the crank cryotreated and straightened, but yeah, it's good. You'd profit most from head work. Personally, I'd stick with the SOHC head just for the sake of being diffrent. With a DOHC head people are likely to just assume it's a 4g63 and we can't have that now can we? The SOHC is going to have just as good a flow as the DOHC. you just don't get to play with the timing as much. So, as long as you're in there I'd say do all the stuff you can afford to do, and especially do the more internal stuff like pistons and what not. dropping a cam in later is no big deal, but doing head work requires the head to be in the machine shop for a couple of weeks. Does that all make sense?

TurboGalant
11-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Well............

I just bought a DOHC from a 94 Galant GS complete with cam shaft, valaves, and cam gears, shipped from CA to OK for $250. So I am going to go with a DOHC, and if people think it is a 4g63, I'll just have to educate them.

So, for bottom end, I don't really need to do anything but new pistons. Can I bore it out so I get an even 2.5L without losing the integrity of the block? What does cryotreated and straightened mean for the crankshaft?

Then for the head...
Upgrade the valves, springs and seals. Upgrade cam shafts and gears. What else can I do? Thicker gasket, 450cc injectors (I will need a resistor pack right? What is a resistor pack?).

For the DOHC I'll need the timing belt, ECU, and harness. Can I use my AEM cam gear for the SOHC on the DOHC? Is it the same?

Can you tell, I know just enough to be dangerous? I am trying to get all the parts I will need, and then let the machine shop do the work. I really do appreciate all the help I get here. If I ever met all the people that have helped me here, I' go broke buying beer for every one. :thumbsup:

Jesse
11-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Just remember if you slap on the 4g64 dohc head with your 4g64 dohc block and stock pistons, you'll have a 10.5:1 compression ratio or maybe it's 10:1, either way, that's way to high.

Get weisco pistons set for the $495 group buy for 8.5:1 CR with .003 bore clearance.

Then use 1g eclipse/talon big rods. 1g intake manifold with throttle body, 95 gsx ecu, 2g exhaust manifold and 02 housing.

450cc injectors with resistor pack.

u do not need an apexi s-afc if you use the ecu from a 1g or 2g

Kain
11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
As long as your doing the head work, a good thorough port and polish will really make all those new goodies shine. 2.5 should be doable. I'd have to do the math (which I really don't feel like doing right now) but I think by going to the maximum overbore you'd indeed pick up that extra .1L. Cryotreating and straightening the crank is a domestic trick, since it's done (sorta) at the factory it's not totally necessary. It just ensures that your crank shaft is absolutely straight, and you're not loosing hp due to vibration. It also acts as an insurance policy. Most modern machine shops know what it is. Your SOHC gear will become useless when you go to DOHC. But, I'm sure someone here would be only too happy to take it off your hands. (not to mention the old SOHC head, I'm sure SOMEONE (Me) would like that too)

In the head area, yeah, new valves, possibly even 1mm oversized. New springs, and if you want to go that extra mile titanium retainers are very nice if you can afford them. You're engine will thank you in the higher revs. Just FYI, the SOHC and DOHC heads use the same valve train, with the exception of the extra camshaft or lack therof. And have the machine shop make all the little passage ways really smooth and open while they're in there.

As for a thicker head gasket, good luck. You're best bet is probably to modify one from the '63. Especially easy since you're doing the head swap anyway. The resistor pack allows you to run more powerful injectors or some such. Without re-doing the wiring. Or at least I think that's how it works... Uhh, I think that's everything. I'll probably think of some more stuff later. There's loads of stuff to do, it's really all just a mater of getting all the money together to do it.

Oh, and you'd not have to worry about buying me beer, I'm only 19 :wink:

cantbeatmy97
11-18-2002, 05:47 PM
personally i would do this first then do whatever u want after
if the link works
']http://www.ford-econoline.com/porting.html ('http://www.ford-econoline.com/porting.html[/url)[/url]

TurboGalant
11-19-2002, 09:02 AM
I've already got the 2g exhuast mainfold and O2 housing for the turbo.
Got the 450cc injectors.

I have read the post about weisco pistons, have sent them a few questions. They should be able to make pistons that fit if I bore out the cylinders to get 2.5, right? I think I missed the GB post for them though.

I thought I would need the ECU from a 94 Galant GS, why the 95 gsx, to bypass the need for an sfac?

I have talked to the local machine shop, I'll be getting the port and polish as long as they have everything apart already. What do oversized valves do? Any suggestions for where to go shopping for my valve needs? I will try to secure some titanium if I can. If I am getting all this done, I want it done right (the first time).

Oh, do they make better cam shafts for the Galant?

When this is installed and working, I'll post up with my stock parts for whoever wants them.

Dark Anghell
11-19-2002, 01:02 PM
contact Magnus Mororsports. They have a complete engine that was ported and polished, fully built. Ask them what parts you should get. I remember them saying that some valves are perfect for big V-8s but mess up 4 bangers because they (valves) don't have enough clearance to expand, and that's when they begin hitting the pistons. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif ...that'w when your engine stops working right.

Jesse
11-19-2002, 05:09 PM
The reason for a turbo ECU is to get by without the need of an AFC. They are used to 450CC's stock if it's a m/t 2nd gen or all 1st gen.

If you don't mind getting an AFC and having to adjust it everytime the temp drops more then 5 degrees, then go that route. It's an extra $300 and more wiring, but changing out the ECU and wiring harness will be more work but is closer to a stock 4g63T setup.

95 isn't the only ECU u have to get, but it's guaranteed to have an eprom which can be used for DSM link software to tune your car.

some 1st gen's have eprom as well. Eprom isn't even necessary at all for doing the turbo conversion, but it beats the expensive tuning options u have.

Spyder4G64t
12-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Just remember if you slap on the 4g64 dohc head with your 4g64 dohc block and stock pistons, you'll have a 10.5:1 compression ratio or maybe it's 10:1, either way, that's way to high.
Do you mean put the DOHC head on a SOHC block? If so, then No, that's not true. According to the people who have already done this conversion, the cylinder head combustion chamber size is the same between the SOHC and DOHC head. Thus, the compression stays the same.

Spyder4G64t
12-01-2002, 08:54 AM
I would like to get stronger valves, valve springs, and better seals (RPW?)
A thicker head gasket.
Maybe new pistons and rings (wiseco, perhaps?)
Better camshaft.
Already have a cam gear.
Perhaps go ahead with the DOHC conversion (as long as the head is off any way)

All good ideas. However, if you go with the DOHC head, you'll have more options. Then, you can get whatever cams you like, instead of having to have it custom made or something.

Cometic makes different thickness head gaskets for the 4G63. They should work just fine if you throw the DOHC head on there.

Several places are now selling piston kits for the 4G64. Shouldn't be too hard to find them. Just depends on how much $$$ you're looking to spend on this rebuild.

Spyder4G64t
12-01-2002, 08:58 AM
I have read the post about weisco pistons, have sent them a few questions. They should be able to make pistons that fit if I bore out the cylinders to get 2.5, right? I think I missed the GB post for them though. The stock size of the engine is 2350cc. Thus, even though they say it's a 2.4l engine, it's really a 2.35l engine. There is NO way you could bore the engine far enough (and have it run) to get 2.5l out of it. Don't try. You'll just screw it up.

If you get new pistons for your engine, just bore it out a little to clean up and straighten the cylinder walls. Nothing more is needed. They will usually sell the pistons in .020" oversize, which is more then enough to clean things up.

TurboGalant
12-02-2002, 09:17 AM
How much would need to be bored out to get 2.5L?

How much bigger would a .020" overbore be? I have to make an order for pistons today.

Spyder4G64t
12-02-2002, 05:32 PM
How much would need to be bored out to get 2.5L?
How much bigger would a .020" overbore be? I have to make an order for pistons today.
You didn't hear me the first time? You CAN NOT bore the 4G64 out large enought for 2.5L. It would have to be something like .090" to get it that large. There isn't enough cylinder wall to do that. Just bore it out .020" like I mentioned.