PDA

View Full Version : a simple question concerning my transmission system

Mind raider
11-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Hello I bought a 1999 Galant super Saloon 1.8
from my friend..
Well I dont know if its normal, cause Its the first Japanese Automatic car i drive:

I notice that in the transmission, i feel taht the transmission change gear.
Well no glitch or something, I just feel the change of speed.

I hope you know what I mean.
And tell me If my transmission is ok.( I HOPE ITS NORMAL THING OR I WILL CRY)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
11-18-2002, 11:51 AM
do you mean it bogs down when not on the gas or what...more details please.

Mind raider
11-18-2002, 11:54 AM
well no

While ima pressing gas, iam increasing my speed
when its shifting from first geat till the secong gear U feel it... u feel the rpm went down and thecar changed gear

Jeff
11-18-2002, 11:58 AM
yeah...that's normal, atleast mine does that, I love that feeling. You're just floating down the road watching the tach waiting for it...you'll learn to like it. actually, every car in the history of cars should do that. that's what shifting is, the transmission switching gears, just like a mountain bike.

pinoyesv6
11-18-2002, 02:02 PM
i'd jsut leave it as be for like a week or so. or to speed things up, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. the transmissions on our adapt to our driving styles and if your friend was an agressive driver, then u car would shift agressively....

creativ73
01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't knw if this is the problem you're having, but I question the shifting on my '00. It seems to hesitate before it goes into the next gear. It reminds me of when someone is driving a manual transmission. When they go to shift their gears and they don't quite get it shifted into the next gear right away, but thinking they did and they hit the gas again. The engine justs revs up because it is basically stuck in neutral. It seems very unnatural on my Galant. Does anyone have any clues why it might be doing this?

Auto-9
01-10-2003, 04:57 PM
I think that hesitation is very common on the Galant/Eclipse. Mine did for a while but as of late my tranny has been fine. I just did my 30k service though which included a tranny flush and the service department claimed to have fixed my hard 3-2 shift by reflashing the computer which might have influenced things. My old 4 banger was plain horrible at shifting...it usually took a full 2 to 3 seconds to decide and when it did shift it would shift twice.

creativ73
01-10-2003, 05:04 PM
I see. Dang, I guess that's why one reason why you can Galants cheaper than the Accord and Camry

creativ73
01-11-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking a little more about the poor shifting the Galants have. If I installed one of those $400 superchips, would that eliminate the problem?

Gilhuly
01-12-2003, 10:10 AM
The shifting hesitation can be corrected by Valve body work and torque converter. Some of the chips do claim to be able to affect stiffness of shifting, though. This is something I'd love to get a really authoritative answer on from some real tranny people who weren't just trying to take our money. They always make it like black magic or something that kicks in when you write a check.

Auto-9
01-12-2003, 10:37 AM
I know what you mean...there seems to be a chip for everything.