PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Outlander NON MIVEC Engine

Three O Five 8g
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I was looking and searching through several threads/post due to the fact that my intake manifold off my 1999 4G64 decided to crack once again (2nd Time replacing). So after looking at the threads, I indeed came to the conclusion that the intake manifold off the 2003 4G64 Mitsubishi Outlander NON MIVEC will swap right in to our 8g 4G64.

Parts that will be needed for the swap are:

Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
Throttle Cable
Throttle Position Sensor
Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Injectors
EGR and all sensors attached to the manifold

The install/swap is pretty straight foward and all you need to modify is the wiring of the sensors by extending the wiring to fit the manifold/connections. The benefits of installing this intkae manifold is that it looks alot strong and sturdy compraed to the OEM intake manifolds on our cars and also performance wise the openings are 60mm compared to 54mm that are on our 8g's. here are pics of the intake manifold installed on our cars:

http://public.mojobox.org/uploads/1.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1887/pict01570gi.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1787/pict01640fa.jpg

My question is this, since we are able to swap the intake manifold from the Outlander to our cars and it has a 60mm opening. Does that mean or do you think it has bigger cams that we can swap into our cars to give us better performance?

I know RPW makes camshafts for our cars and they are highly modified camshafts but financial situations do not allow me to purchase any of these right now.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/f3650935e94382b2a0812e64cbf2500f.jpg

Here is the website where the cams can be purchase: Click here (http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=236&category_id=64&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31)

Anyone have any information or comments on this?

DOHCstunr
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I indeed came to the conclusion that the intake manifold off the 2003 4G64 Mitsubishi Outlander NON MIVEC will swap right in to our 8g 4G64.

You weren't the first.

the intake manifold is the only difference.
although there might be other slight bolt on variances between the engine bays.
the motor and all of its components are identicle between the outlander eclipse and the galant.

cams will be identical.

DryBear
11-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Here's a tutorial of the swap by Underated/4G64T:
http://www.galantforums.com/downloads/Gala...anifoldSwap.pdf (http://www.galantforums.com/downloads/GalantOutlanderManifoldSwap.pdf)

G-spot
11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
I can those pics without my glasses. wow!

neepar
11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Supposedly, Mitsu has changed part number for the galant intake manifold. The new part number cross references the 03 outlander manifold. Got this info from the dealer, and also from mitsubishiparts.com. You might want to confirm this before buying. According to dealer everything should swap over with no mods. Not sure about that last statement though.

DryBear
11-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Again, this has already been successfully done on at least 2 8G Galants, one of them even being turboed (the author of the tutorial I posted above).

underated
11-11-2006, 02:24 PM
haha thanks Len for posting that i havent been on the boards for awhile

but the swap is very easy... there are a few other things you need that are not on that list on the first post... and some that are there that you dont need....

you dont need the fpr, fuel rail or injectors

but you do need the manifold support bracket, and you do need to bend you stock dipstick tube and you do need the outlander throttle cable or you can place washers under the gas peddel to bring it out farther... if you dont do this the throttle will only open 75%

als you have to swap the 2 outer wire on the throttle position sensor clip or you will get incorrect readings

Read the tutorial i covered everything in it with pictures

Three O Five 8g
11-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all your help and all your info...

One question though... my car is dropped and I have a body kit and all.. Do I really need to lift up the car with jacks and all that to work on the manifold or can I do all this work from above only?

neepar
11-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, I recently replaced mine with the stock manifold and I didn't have to jack it up. But I didn't need to remove the bracket holding the manifold.

underated
11-13-2006, 03:05 AM
its possible to do it with out jacking up the car swivel (sp) joints for your sockets will make it easier tho

Kalamidad
12-01-2006, 07:44 PM
wow, that's a great tutorial underated. I just broke my intake mani again. I'm going to the Junk yard tomorrow. I'll try to get my hands the Outlander mani. I've done the OEM swap before.

bronxbombr
12-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Ya its worth a shot instead of throwing your money away for another flimsy manifold.

Kalamidad
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm reading the tutorial now. It's really good man. I'll try to take some pictures so you can add them.

neepar
12-01-2006, 08:14 PM
wow, that's a great tutorial underated. I just broke my intake mani again. I'm going to the Junk yard tomorrow. I'll try to get my hands the Outlander mani. I've done the OEM swap before.

Ummm, I am going to repeat myself again. Supposedly the design has changed for the intake manifold. The new part number cross references the outlander manifold. The old galant manifold known to crack is no longer manufactured. The dealership told me this recently, and he said the new design that cross references the outlander will need no modifications. He stated everything will swap over. You might want to check on this before buying from a junkyard.

Kalamidad
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
well, this manifold that broke today was purchased that the dealership in FEB of this year. So i think i still wanna try my luck with the outlander from the junk yard.

thanks though.

neepar
12-02-2006, 12:21 PM
well, this manifold that broke today was purchased that the dealership in FEB of this year. So i think i still wanna try my luck with the outlander from the junk yard.

thanks though.

The manufacturer's design was changed within the last 2-3 months. Just my 2 cents, it won't hurt anything to check.

Kalamidad
12-03-2006, 10:42 AM
The manufacturer's design was changed within the last 2-3 months. Just my 2 cents, it won't hurt anything to check.

oh ok. Thanks. That changes things. They should make it a recall. Bastards!!!!

I'll look into it. But still, an outlander from the junkyard would cost me less. I won't be able to find the redesigned Mani in the junkyard since the 8G hasn't been produced for over two years now.

Kalamidad
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
i was the the mitsu dealership earlier this week picking up the gasket seals. The mitsu tech had no idea what i was talking about when i asked him about the Manifolds being crossreferenced. i didn't spect much more from them...

krispy03
12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
im selling the outlander manifold.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...mp;hl=outlander (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index.php?showtopic=51021&hl=outlander)

underated
01-16-2007, 05:13 AM
how did the swap go Kalamidad?

Kalamidad
03-17-2007, 11:05 PM

my swap went well. No SES light or anything. but it is now three months later and it cracked again, thus i'm in these old threads again. I ended up using an 8g intake mani back in dec. i really wasn't planning for this, but i'm going to have to try something different. The reason i think they keep breaking on my is because i broke the bolt that hold the intake to the block and just have it zip tied to the battery clamp so there is too much movement.

maybe i just need a new car. *shakes head in disappointment*

krispy03
03-18-2007, 01:36 AM

my swap went well. No SES light or anything. but it is now three months later and it cracked again, thus i'm in these old threads again. I ended up using an 8g intake mani back in dec. i really wasn't planning for this, but i'm going to have to try something different. The reason i think they keep breaking on my is because i broke the bolt that hold the intake to the block and just have it zip tied to the battery clamp so there is too much movement.

maybe i just need a new car. *shakes head in disappointment*
woah woah, you broke the outlander manifold?!?!?!?

underated
03-18-2007, 04:00 AM
naw i think he broke another stock manifold, it would take alot to break an outlander manifold

Kalamidad
07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
it was a galant. You reading drunk again? lol

AVERAGE
07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Is it me or are you guys with CAI doing more breaking of the intakes? I definetly think Ill stick with my ebay filter and adapter now. :lol:

jonk8123
05-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I did the swap, but the tps that came with the TB is bad and i have the galants on right now. And when i step on it my car is slow! what would cause it do be slow? Is that because of the tps or i read u need the throttle cable and idk if the auto shop knew that but does any one know why it would make my car have very bad accel.??????

Edit: When i step on it 1 out of 3 times it will give good accel. but it will jerk and rev. which sounds like tps, any of you that had ridden on ur galants tps have the same things or did you still get your accel all the time just revs and jerks?

jonk8123
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
anyone know? Im ordering the tps tomorrow just want to make sure putting the outlander mani didnt make my car slow forever:(

underated
06-02-2008, 03:59 AM
you need the the outlander or evo TPS and you need to swap the wires around inside the connector or else your car will not run correctly

Arty_Harvy
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Where is the best place to find all these parts? My intake mani ate shit 2 days ago and none of the junk yards in my area have a 2003 outlander. I know the dealership is gonna charge me an ass ton of cash for all of these so thats out of the question.

krispy03
07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
www.car-part.com
www.carparts.com

IVORY_G
09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Prob a NOOB question, but why is it that we can only use the 2003 Non-Mivec IM?