PDA

View Full Version : engines

rogue_squirrel
11-18-2002, 06:25 PM
ok, im a heaps big newbie when it comes to cars, and you always talk in code, like a 46g71 or some thing. what i want to know is, my freind said you can stick evo motors in galants, is this true, and or, is it good, imporve power etc

thx for your time

jluv97
11-18-2002, 07:37 PM
First off welcome to the board. The engine codes (typically in a 7G is 4g64), this info can be found on the sticker under your hood. It's right above the throttle body.
An engine swap is possible, but pricey and it is much more envolved than just bolting up a new 4g63T (the EVO engine) onto a stock 4 speed auto tranny. Search the boards and you are bound to find tons of great info.

Kain
11-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Oooh, an Aussie....You already have the nice Galants :twisted: The beauty of the Japanese automobile is it's basic design. Just about any engine can/will bolt into any car by the same manufacturer. Of course you can bolt in an Evo engine. The trick is finding one oriented the same way as the engine found in your car (I.E. if your engine is on the left, and the tranny on the right, you need an Evo engine oriented the same way) Or else things start getting complicated. Basic things you're gonna need are engine, transmission, wiring harness (in my experience, the one that comes with the "new" engine is generally trashed beyond repair) and ECU. Of course, you're also gonna need a Xerox box full of miscelaneous crap to go along with it, but that comes with the territory. As for power, you'd see a doubling of power. More if you feel like modding the engine (bigger turbo, better intake/exhaust, new cams, etc). All in all you're looking at a cost of around $2000 U.S give or take. It really depends on what you are gonna drop on the donor engine. And if you're going to go the cheap installation route (shade-tree style) or have an actual shop do the install. The guys in the International forum are likely to be a bit more helpful for you, but anyone will probably assist as much as possible.

rogue_squirrel
11-20-2002, 02:55 AM
ta, i wasnt considering an engine swap at the moment, mabey in about a year, dont have teh funds atm, id cheak my engine code if it was for the fact that my aunt is borrowing it at the moment, and she is 3 hours away, oh well, the thing that bites is that i just got my p's a week ago (means i can drive by myself, not with a perant etc), im unhappy https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

next question, i was thinking, just to start, exhaust and intake, does it matter about teh egine, like, wot else has to be changed to handle it