PDA

View Full Version : Recent Purchase

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 01:47 AM
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">The Story</span></span>

I saw an add in the paper for a 1994 Mitsubishi Galant S for 1200&#036;, and I have been needing a car so I decided to check it out. The car is in pretty good condition, 122k miles, no dents, perfect interior, everything intact, etc.. I was really interested in this car, drove it around the block, no problems with the manual transmission nice smooth transitions, except the constant ticking, I know it's the lifter, and I don't want to replace it, too expensive. (just wondering, it may be annoying, but is it harmful?) So I took it to my mechanic, and he looked at it, and he saw nothing wrong with it, except for the oil, the owner flat out told me the two problems this car has before the car was even turned on, first, the ticking, and second it burns oil, he had to replace the oil, every like, fourth time he filled up his gas tank, so I didn't really think about it much.

I really like this car, when idle in first gear at a stop light, it is so quiet, first time I noticed it, I thought I killed it.
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">My Questions</span></span>
How long does that average engine last in a 7G Galant, I need to know so I can figure out how long I should depend upon this car.. I was thinking about customizing it, but my buddy thinks that it has too many miles and that I should just drive it as is, because it will end up dying out on me in 2 or 3 years, I'm not much of a car person, but I've always really been into them, maybe race, heh yeah, I'm 16 years old, have a job that pays 10.5 per hour and I work about 20 hours per week, so I make a decent amount of money, and since this is my <span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#000099">FIRST CAR</span></span> :D I want to make it last at least a little while :P.
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">My Questions in short</span></span>
1.How long will this engine last if I don't do anything to it?
2.Should I not do anything to it? I want to upgrade it, but don't know if it will be worth it in the long run...
3.Any cheap way to fix the lifter noise?
4.Any thing I can do about the oil burning problem?
5.Did I get a good deal on this purchase?
5.Any other comments/tips about my new Galant? :D
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">Pictures</span></span>
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7083/1022419tw5.jpg
Needs new hubcaps, one of my friends came over and saw it... and he thinks that I should just buy some spray paint, and spray paint the hubcaps, and get glossy white spray paint and fix the small spots on the hood where it needs it, I'm kind of wanting to skip that... but I don't know yet.. advice?
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/110/1022427lt5.jpg
This part of the car makes it look worse than it is, this is the only part with any paint chips, except for the hood, has a few spots
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4554/1022421pk6.jpg
Standard
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5080/1022420gl4.jpg
Interior, CD player was "stolen" they just pulled on the face plate and ripped it off and they even stole the chapstick out of the car lmao , cant be repaired I don't think, gonna buy a new deck next paycheck
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9/1022425ku9.jpg
low res under the hood, dirty, gonna clean it tomorrow
High Res picture (http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9048/1022425hv1.jpg)
Yeah, help is appreciated, thanks in advance
I wish I could show every angle of the car, seems like these pictures show more bad then good.

4g63lover
11-18-2006, 02:00 AM
looks like you bringin in a decent amount of cash for a 16 year-old. BUt here is my advice. Im also 17 and planning to buy a 7G for a beater. I say If you really want to keep the motor til it dies, when it dies swap the 4G63T from the Eclipse or VR-4 6G Galant. Make sure its a six-bolt. Or if you don't really care about the current engine. Just yank it out and go ahead with the swap. but then, considering if you don't have any experience with engine swaps then it can be difficult. But modding a 7G is hella lot cheaper than modding an 8G so atleast funds for any project or modification to the car wont be a problem, at least for you anyways.

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Heh, looks like I better run down to the parts store and buy myself my car manual, heh, yeah, this car has only had 3 owners :D I'm glad I got this car it's all perfect except for the lifters and cant fix that untill tomorrow

G-spot
11-18-2006, 02:27 AM
I see you have a 5-spd. Just take care of your maintenance an you're good to go.

JPM0887
11-18-2006, 10:51 AM
nice car! After you clean up that engine bay it'll be looking even better!

peanotation
11-18-2006, 12:41 PM
i turboed my car at 150K after running nitrous for 15K miles. right now she's at 177K.....the 4g64 will last over 200K easily if you take care of it....

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks, so it's reliable, that's good.. it runs really well, idle is very stable, only problem i have is that it's burning oil, and the ticking

4-G-rim
11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I have owned 2 7gs...a 95 and currently my 96. They have been very good to me...NO major problems, I really and honestly love the 7th gens. I can pretty much tear a 7g apart and possibly put the thing together with my eyes closed. :cool:

Now to answer your questions:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>1.How long will this engine last if I don't do anything to it?</div>
The 4G motors are tough motors...I believe just as good as any other Japanese motor out there as reliabity. As long as you change the oil when its due and once in awhile add some additives to the fuel system etc etc..it will run a long time. There is a recent 7g owner that recently posted that he just hit the 220,000+ mark on the original motor. I had 130,000 miles on my motor in my 96 Galant it was turbo for a good 15,000 miles and its ran fine, no leaks, and perfect compression all across. Normal maintance and oil changes it will run for a LONG time

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>2.Should I not do anything to it? I want to upgrade it, but don't know if it will be worth it in the long run...</div>
Unless you plan to put some some serious power and plan to run the motor HARD...I mean real hard, then I suggest not to go too extreme on the motor. If you just want to add a intake and exhaust and maybe some headers you'll be fine. If you want something more serious...you need to invest into the motor to install new stuff and making it stronger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>3.Any cheap way to fix the lifter noise?</div>
I had lifter tick on my 96 Galant when I first bought it and it was pretty loud. I suggest getting a few bottles of "Marvel Mystery Oil" from Autozone, Pep boys, etc etc and adding it to your oil...BUT do a fresh oil change first. I say depending how bad the lifter tick is...mine totally disappeared after 1 oil change and using synthetic oil. Another method is adding a quart or less of ATF and running it with the oil. The detergents in the ATF will help clean the lifters and hopefully rid it. Though..I suggest the Marvel Mystery Oil since it worked for me and a couple of friends.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>4.Any thing I can do about the oil burning problem?</div>
Burning oil could be caused by a couple of things...either bad piston rings or valve seals or you may have a leak somewhere. This could resulted in some neglect over time from the previous owner. Unfortunately depending how bad it is...it may require replacing. There are additives you can buy over the counter to stop "burning oil" but I don't suggest using it...they are only really a temporary fix.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>5.Did I get a good deal on this purchase?</div>
I think you did. The car looks REAL good for its age. I would of bought it in a split second if I had the cash on hand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>5.Any other comments/tips about my new Galant?</div>
You got a nice 7g...its in great shape. Just take good care of the car and it will do the same for you. Welcome to TGC and its good to see another 7g owner that is proud of theirs...we are a dying breed here on TGC.

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the informative response, gotta buy myself an owners manual today, and I don't know what to do, because I think the previous owner mixed new oil with the dirty burned oil, and I might ask for an engine flush as long as it wont hurt my car, but if I don't get it flushed I'll just have my mechanic change the oil and stuff

thebirdman13
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
nice buy... change the oil yourself... and don't skimp on it either... this could eliminate the lifter tick, maybe not... but good oil sometimes does... that and you aren't getting really cheap oil and filter, you are getting quality. do a search on here, there's a tutorial for changing it, plus there's tons of threads about what oil to use... good luck

mitsueclipse2019
11-18-2006, 02:56 PM
welcome to TGC and nice looking G looks exactly like mine but mines a 95 S :P and of course welcome to the 7gen :D

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 02:58 PM
my grandpa's mechanic he has gone to for 40 years will let me sit and watch him work on my car so I can learn, and he'll probably let me help change my oil, he's a cool guy, and I can use my own oil.. so I can be sure that it's quality oil, when I first took it into him... before I purchased it, he said somthing about putting some Automatic transmission fluid in with it, and that might fix it.. lol Yeah

and hey luke :D yeah thanks for the welcome

mitsueclipse2019
11-18-2006, 05:01 PM
my grandpa's mechanic he has gone to for 40 years will let me sit and watch him work on my car so I can learn, and he'll probably let me help change my oil, he's a cool guy, and I can use my own oil.. so I can be sure that it's quality oil, when I first took it into him... before I purchased it, he said somthing about putting some Automatic transmission fluid in with it, and that might fix it.. lol Yeah

and hey luke :D yeah thanks for the welcome

yeah i kow how that is, my grandfather trusts my uncle more than a shop and hes a mechanic so thats a good reason and i trust him aswell and he also teachs me things about cars and stuff

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I just got back from driving it, the first time I drove a manual was the night that I got it, and yeah, it's pretty easy once you get going but going from stopped to moving, is a bitch, well was a bitch, I've got it down now, I was getting frustrated because I couldn't get it to go, I killed it like 12 times in a row, and then I glanced down, and saw it was in second, I felt like a retard.
haha, but i've got it down pretty good, but today blah gonna go post a tech problem..

mitsueclipse2019
11-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I just got back from driving it, the first time I drove a manual was the night that I got it, and yeah, it's pretty easy once you get going but going from stopped to moving, is a bitch, well was a bitch, I've got it down now, I was getting frustrated because I couldn't get it to go, I killed it like 12 times in a row, and then I glanced down, and saw it was in second, I felt like a retard.
haha, but i've got it down pretty good, but today blah gonna go post a tech problem..

ask as many questions as you can trust me it has helped me out ALOT

Moodyb4
11-18-2006, 10:00 PM
go to "weird noise" in 7G probs forum for the problem