PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap or Mods

JohnnyBass
11-19-2002, 11:57 AM
I have the stock engine in my '96 Galant S and I was wondering would it be smarter to just get a 4g63t or just mod my current engine. I guess I'm asking is if my old engine will hold up or not or will I pour money into it and it's gonna take a dirt nap halfway through the process. It's got 109100 miles on it.

Jon

Inexperienced but enthusiatic newbie. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Dark Anghell
11-19-2002, 12:50 PM
It depends what you want out of the car. Both ways will give you more HP. If you get a 4g63...you have to replace the wiring harness and ECU. But you get more HP very easily.
If you go turbo on the 4g64...it would be a good idea to get new lower compression pistons, like 8.5:1 or even 9.0:1 will work just fine. With the 4g64 you can have a lot more hp than you would with 4g63.

Currently a lot of the DSM racers a going with our motor, and some of them are pushing 700HP (magnusmotorsports.com). If you don't feel like messing with rebuilding the motor, etc. Get one for 4K from Magnus. That thing is good for 800HP+. So if you run only 400, the engine will last forever.

My friend talked to the owner of Do-Luck, the guy builds up skylines. Hi's advise was this: As long as you don't push your car, run it at 80% the car will never brake. When you upgrade/add turbo to your car, you HAVE to build up the motor. On a skyline it's 15-20K, but on a Galant it's a lot cheaper.