PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan wont turn on

Renton777
11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Took it to mitsu for a engine support replacement. Now the auxilary fan wont turn on. Where could the culprit be? Im hoping to find a loose connection somewhere. Please help. Thank you.

Checked fuses (ok)

98ACR
11-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Took it to mitsu for a engine support replacement. Now the auxilary fan wont turn on. Where could the culprit be? Im hoping to find a loose connection somewhere. Please help. Thank you.

Checked fuses (ok)

It sounds stupid, but make sure your primary fan is plugged in. I had the same problem. I tracked it to the fan (no power at the motor) so I shelled out $25 for a junkyard fan. When I went to put it in, I noticed that the connecter was not completely together. I popped the connector back together until it clicked and it worked fine. Also if it's an automatic, make sure leaking trans cooler lines haven't deposited trans fluid into the connector. There was a little in mine that I cleaned out at the same time. Dunno if it made a difference, but something to look for.

Also check your coolant temperature sensor. There are two of them, the one for the ECU (it's a two wire) and one for the guage (a one wire) If the two wire one goes bad, it won't turn the fan on. At operating temperature, unplug the sensor. Your CEL should come on and the fan should start working at the same time. If so the sensor is bad, if not the sensor is working. The sensor is like $20 from the dealer. Be sure to put teflon tape on the threads, total instalation will take you all of 10 min w/ a 12mm wrench.

Swap the fan relay with another relay (I think the A/C relay will work, there are several I just don't know which ones off the top of my head) if the fan starts working, replace the bad relay. $6 from the dealer.

If still nothing, check the power at the connector and at the motor itself. If you have power at the connector, replace the fan/fix the broken wire. Junkyard fans can be had for under $30, cheaper if you luck-out at a U-pull. If there is no power at the connector you need to find the broken wire (I'd let an electritian take over here, the $70 or so you'll pay is well worth it if you're not too fimiliar with electronics)

bronxbombr
11-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Cosigned!

pinoyesv6
11-25-2006, 10:31 AM
if i ever take my car to get repaired by someone and when i get it back, something else is broke, i take it back and tell them what happened. im not gonna waste my time fixing something someone else broke.