PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Amp & Cap

CHICAGO_ONE
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
At first I had the Amp and the cap mounted on the back of the seat that doesn't fold down, but I ran into a few problems. One was that the subs couldn't be all the way back in the trunk, so they wanted to slide around with the spare tire cover. Two, the weight and the bass began pulling the amp/cap off the seat (even with the screws into the metal). So I reluctantly put the amp and the cap on the box like so:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/DOWER_ONE/trunk2.jpg
And I also rebuilt the spare tire board out of ply wood & put hinges on it for wasy access, making the floor board sturdy. Now the subs tend to slide around, not as much as before, but Im worried about the wires being yanked off the cap if the box slides too far. SO after a long explanation, I want to get some feedback on where I can relocate this amp/cap so it's no longer attatched to the box. Keep in mind, the Amp is 18" long and 9" wide.
Here was one idea: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/DOWER_ONE/trunkSetup.jpg
Building platforms for the one amp/cap, and having a second for when I amp up the interior speakers.
My only other idea, would be to put them on the spare tire cover. Downside, I'd have the stuff right in the middle of the trunk.

What do you think?

GaLaNtKeV99
11-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Those platforms is wat i was thinking of doing with mine, but instead lying them down i thinking of placing the amps vertically :cool: That you u still have some trunk space.

kolio
11-22-2006, 04:42 PM
i have a 7g but i mounted my amp on the side of the trunk, saved me so much space. also mounting the amp on the box isn't a good idea, the pounding of the subs rattles the little components inside the amp off and it breaks. so try not to keep it like that too long, but i also like your idea.

CHICAGO_ONE
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, I went and made a moc-setup for these platforms, and neither way will work to my satisfaction. The amp is just too bigg to be layed down along the sides, because it will overlap the spare tire compartment (I like having the option of getting to it). If I stand the amp up alone, it just reaches the top of the trunk, so attatching the RCA's and power/ground cables would be a pain in the ass. It would bring the amp up even higher, potentially causing more problems.

Right now, I'm stuck.
I can try re-attatching it to the back of the seat by re-enforcing it with plywood, but that will most likely rattle and chirp.

I can stick it under the passenger side seat, but it doesn't get enough air flow, and is accessible to melted snow off a back passengers shoes.

I can also attach it directly onto the spare tire door, which kinda seems ugly to me.

Other than leaving it where it is, I could just buy 1 or 2 smaller amps. But honestly, I dont want to spend the money, especially when the amp is in great condition and keeps my subs rockin.

Any ideas on the subject?

fatal1
11-27-2006, 06:29 PM
its a cool idea but i would use L- brackets if you main goal is to support the box in just one place, plus it will make it harder for thieves to just remove it from your car. if your not worried about any of that or want to make a nicer presentation of your trunk you could also make a facial board that fills the entire contour of the trunk in the front of the box so you cant even see the back or the L- brackets etc, you could also build a side amp rack build it into the side wall and cover it with plexi, hope you can get a few ideas or pictures of what i tried to explain....good luck

pinoyesv6
11-27-2006, 10:54 PM
some thoughts.

cut a hole in the false floor and have the amp sitting about flush with the floor.

attatch the amp to that panel on the back seat, again reinforce with plywood like you said and instead of using those plastic pins to hold that panel on, use screws and fender washers. if the screws are on tight, they won't rattle, and if the panel does vibrate a lil bit, the sound of carpeted carboard vibrating on a piece of saheet metal isn't that bad. if you want, lay some dynamat on the sheet metal before attatching the panel back on.

CHICAGO_ONE
11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
So today I went for it. I began by Dynamatting the metal opening behind the seat. Cut a piece of plywood to mimic the back panel and screwed it into the metal trim that I had Dynamatted. Put the cardboard panel back on the way it always is, and put the amp onto that, getting a couple of the mounting screws into the metal as well. Then I placed the cap on the side wall, right next to the panel. Thought able doing those L brackets, still might, but for now Im trying that rubber sheet that usually goes under cutting boards in the kitchen.
So far, So good.

40Cal
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I mounted my 1000W amp and cap to the part of the seat that doesnt fold. To keep it from rattling the trick is to get it completly snug. Removing the rear seat to get to the work space is the best way. Even with my system pounding nothing mounted shakes. To keep the subs from moving around a really easy fix is to go to a craft shop and buy velcro. Sounds funny but it works perfect.

HungarianHunter
11-15-2009, 02:53 PM
also mounting the amp on the box isn't a good idea, the pounding of the subs rattles the little components inside the amp off and it breaks.

Is this true??

I better move my amp...

SPD_FRK
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Is this true??

I better move my amp...

Yea, you should never ever mount an amp on the sub enclosure. If an audio shop did it, make them redo it and give you a new box immediately. A lot of companies won't warranty a fried amp if it was mounted on the sub enclosure. I know for a fact that Pioneer and USAccoustics would ask where it was mounted and void warranties in such cases.

The small capacitors on the circuit boards can get rattled pretty good and it will ultimately crack the soldered connections and cause a short and the amp will go dead.

Also mounting an amp on the box you still have to try and create a ground connection as short as possible (ideal is less than 8" length), it can be done but if the box moves it can disconnect the ground wire.

HungarianHunter
11-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Damn, I did my own install, and the amp is on the side of the box. I have the box bolted to the metal behind the back seat, so that box doesn't move at all, the ground wire isn't a problem, but the point you make about the small components makes me nervous... guess it's time to figure something out.

CHICAGO_ONE
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
wow, this was an old ass post. LoL
Well, here's what I ended up doing. This was a year or more ago and its been solid. No issues. Clean set-up, and still using the same equipment that I've had since I bought the car almost 4 years ago.

Sub Amp it on a plywood panel behind the seats.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/DOWER_ONE/9.jpg

HungarianHunter
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey man. Did you just like build an L shape out of plywood, and screw it to the side of the trunk, where that little "gap" is? Like between the wheel well bulge and the tails?

CHICAGO_ONE
11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah. L shape from 3/4" wood. If you fold back the carpet on the sides, you'll notices two little vertical walls. One has a ground wire on it, I think. Don't mess with that. But I attached them with L-brackets and hid all the wiring behind the carpet. One goes to the floor, one goes to the wall. Stays solid.

hhp8008
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Very nice my man, looks like a professional did all that work.

HungarianHunter
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
yeah. L shape from 3/4" wood. If you fold back the carpet on the sides, you'll notices two little vertical walls. One has a ground wire on it, I think. Don't mess with that. But I attached them with L-brackets and hid all the wiring behind the carpet. One goes to the floor, one goes to the wall. Stays solid.

Cool man, I'll have to give this a go, thanks a lot.

CHICAGO_ONE
11-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Very nice my man, looks like a professional did all that work.

Thanks a lot. It's a simple set-up but Im pretty happy with it.

HungarianHunter
11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey man, quick question.

Where did you get the carpeting to wrap the pieces in? I think I can figure the rest out, I was just wondering where you got the material from.

Galante
11-20-2009, 04:38 AM
nice clean install man

CHICAGO_ONE
11-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey man, quick question.

Where did you get the carpeting to wrap the pieces in? I think I can figure the rest out, I was just wondering where you got the material from.

I got a roll of it at a local auto parts store. Murrays I think. Im sure autozone, pepboys, etc would have it. it's real cheap, just use good adhesive, like a 3M heavy Duty spray

ZigenScarface
11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
http://a993.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_b0ef6943ec19a72e7fbb13f3137d6ad0.jpg

HungarianHunter
11-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I got a roll of it at a local auto parts store. Murrays I think. Im sure autozone, pepboys, etc would have it. it's real cheap, just use good adhesive, like a 3M heavy Duty spray

I got some at this place called fabric depot, used black felt, did basically the same thing you did but at a slight angle, I'll post pics in a bit.

HungarianHunter
11-22-2009, 07:52 PM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/AdamThe1337/IMG00490.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/AdamThe1337/IMG00489.jpg