PDA

View Full Version : Coilover vs. Lowering Springs

thispartoftown024
11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Well the holiday's are here and that means everyone wants to know what I want for gifts. I want to lower my I4 2003 G in the spring and I've been trying to figure out how to go about it... Coilover or just some springs. I was wondering what the difference is? I've heard that only getting springs is just one part of the situation, in that you will eventually need to change your struts too sometime down the road. So is a coilover set just combining the springs with the struts? I've read that most on here are running on the KYB AXG or the GR2's with some springs usually tein, megan, eibach. I'm just trying to get educated about the subject before buying and I thought I'd tap into this knowledge-filled group to get some answers and opinions. Thanks guys/gals for your answers.

shortdogg2k05
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
A coilover is basically an adjustible spring. Tru coilovers like Tein, Megan and JIC are one piece designs and replace you existing shocks and springs definately the preferred choices if you have the money. Ground control coilovers replaces you springs only so you would have to mate it with some shocks/struts KYB or Koni is a good choice. People go coilovers to get the exact ride height they are looking for. Springs at most will give you a 2" drop and coilovers are I believe 3"(dont quote me, but it is substantially lower). Hopefully I have answered your question.

seth98esT
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Coilovers let you adjust the height of the car where as springs are a set height.

If you go with springs, its recommended to upgrade the struts as the stock struts arent made to handle the extra load that the lower springs will put on them.

If you go with a coilover system, theres two types of coilovers. THeres the Ground control coilovers which just slide over the stock/aftermarket strut just like your springs, they will give you height adjustability, but they usually ride very very stiff.
http://www.teamunemployment.com/gavin/suspension/ground%20control/DSC01988.JPG
Ground Control coilovers, they just slide over your strut.

Or the best way to go with coilovers is to get a full coilover system where teh coilover perch is built into the strut. Megan Racing, Jic, Tein, all make a true coilover system. IMO its the way to go, it will offer you the best adjustability and comfort and only a few hundred more then a good set of KYB AGX struts and lowering springs.
http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/coilovers4.jpg
Tein vs some stock strut/spring