PDA

View Full Version : 7th gen rear disc conversion idea

Jesse
11-19-2002, 05:16 PM
OK, hit me hard if this is the most obvious or stupid thing i've yet to say but doesn't the 94 dohc GS galant have all wheel disc brakes?

And if so, since they're obviously 4 lug, why isn't the conversion being done?

and if not, then why am I still alive to say dumb stuff like this?

seth98esT
11-19-2002, 05:41 PM
94 does have all 4 wheel disc brakes...as y nobody does the conversion? i have no clue. i am going to want to do it sometime

Kain
11-19-2002, 06:33 PM
I'm about half way there.... I just keep getting sidetracked. I'll probably do it this summer if all goes well. I think the biggest limiting factor is the fairly high cost. It's gonna run me about $400 total to do the swap, and the braking probably won't be noticably improved. Also, since the Galant uses a drum style E-brake with rear disks, you can't use your emergency brake as it's name implies. The tiny shoes would bake in an instant if applied at any speed over about 25. I'm doing it mainly for appearance reasons myself. I also have a thing about rear drums....I don't like them.

Jesse
11-20-2002, 12:19 AM
i need the e-brake since I have a m/t and often park on hills

pinoyesv6
11-20-2002, 12:30 AM
there is a way you can get an ebrake with the swap. uhm check out club 3g and see waht they did to retain the ebrake when doing the swap. it should be similar for you guys too

Kain
11-20-2002, 12:46 PM
Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear... You don't loose the e-brake per-se, rather it becomes more of a parking brake. With the drum set up, there is a cable attached to a bar in the drum. When you pull up on the handle, it places tension on the cable and expands the shoes just as if you were stepping on the brakes, but it's a mechanical system as opposed to a hydraulic one. When you go to disk brakes, there is still a little "drum" inside the "hat" of the disk. This acts as the parking brake, but if you try to use at as an Emergency brake (I.E. try to stop the car with just the E-brake or try to use it for turning assist) the tiny shoes in there will not be able to handle the strain. Of course you'll still have a parking brake. But unlike many other vehicles where the calipers are manually closed when the handle is pulled, there are "2 brakes" in the back. Does that make sense? I know it seems silly, but it's done in the name of efficiency, as there do not have to be 2 diffrent knuckles for drum and disk brakes. On many Jeep Grand Cherokees I've had to replace the entire parking brake assembly when kids would play with the E-brake trying to make the car handle like on TV. The whole thing sorta disentigrates under heavy strain.

TurboGalant
11-20-2002, 02:00 PM
I'll be doing the brake conversion too. As soon as I get the engine squared away. Hopefully, others will have it figured out and will be sharing their experiences.

nitegsrider
11-30-2002, 02:54 AM
I have a 94' GS and yes i do have 4 wheel disc brakes https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

TrevMill
11-30-2002, 02:01 PM
I have a 94GS and don't have rear discs. But in my manual it does show you how to maintain your disc brakes, front and rear, so they exist i guess.