PDA

View Full Version : belt problem

galant96s
11-19-2002, 06:22 PM
i just changed all 3 f the belts on my car and now its squealing all loud when its cold or the ac is on.....what should i do
i tightened them once already is it just the ac belt
please help
thanks

Kain
11-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Are you sure you tightened them? Grab the belt in the middle of the longest distence between two pulleys and twist it gently. If you can get it past 90 degrees using moderate force, you need to tighten them a bit more. You may also have over tightened them. They should deflect slightly when pushed against. It's a nice balancing act. Squeeling is pretty common, especially using certain cheap belts. I advocate always using good quality belts. Goodyear is good, and they're not too expensive. OEM belts are nice, but overpriced and not all that much better in my opinion. Check for proper tension first. Than see if the problem persists.

TJC
11-19-2002, 06:49 PM
You can also press the belt down btwn the pulleys and if the deflection is more than 1/4", it's probably too loose. And even though the original manufacture belts maybe expensive, I wouldn't just put any make of belt on. That is the lifeline of the engine (well, the main one anyway).

queball
11-22-2002, 09:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant96s)</div><div class='quotemain'>i just changed all 3 f the belts on my car and now its squealing all loud when its cold or the ac is on.....what should i do
i tightened them once already is it just the ac belt
please help
thanks</div>
I have the same damn problem and its just wehn its cold and you first start the car.. and ive also replaced all 3 of my belts and now im realy getting ticked about it, makes my car sound all gheto..

manybrews
11-23-2002, 09:35 PM
either the belts arent tight enough, or the crank pulley is seperating.

queball
11-23-2002, 11:54 PM
Ive tightened the belts as tight as i can get them and i inspected all the pullys and couldn't see any problems i even thought that may be my power sterring pump was freezing up but it turns nice and easy and as a matter of a fact that was the main belt that was worn out when i changed them you could see the mettle core on the underwide of the belt in the groves.. so i think its something in there.. but then also if im stopped at a drive up window at night and its cold if i turn on my head lights i can here a light sweeking noise and then if i turn the lights off or the heater or something to reduce the power its pulling the noise goes away..

manybrews
11-24-2002, 08:37 AM
are they aftermarket belts, or mitsu belts?
i ask because ive seen LOTS of aftermarket belts not be the correct size. theyre too long, rendering the tightening pulleys useless.

do you have aftermarket pulleys on it? if so, thats definatly the problem, as the crank pulley will be smaller in diameter than the factory one, also making the belt too long for its application.

IllestGalant
11-25-2002, 09:39 PM
Check for debris on the pulleys and also double check the tension. these guys are right. if the belts squeak it is 99% due to improper adjustment
especially now that you say loading them up makes it worse.