PDA

View Full Version : Rack and Pinion Boot Replacement

rir74
12-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Rubber boot (bellows?) on right side of rack and pinion is busted into two halves. It appears that rack may still be OK, so I need to replace asap. Is this something that I can replace on my driveway? Any suggestions, tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Car is 97 galant ES, SOHC, 2.4L inline 4 in otherwise excellent shape. Thanks.

95vegasgalant
12-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Rubber boot (bellows?) on right side of rack and pinion is busted into two halves. It appears that rack may still be OK, so I need to replace asap. Is this something that I can replace on my driveway? Any suggestions, tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Car is 97 galant ES, SOHC, 2.4L inline 4 in otherwise excellent shape. Thanks.

ok take the tire off loosen the lock nut on the tie rod take the cotter pin out of the outer tie rod now loosen the nut on the outer tie rod when almost on the tip of the thread hit the knuckle were the outer tie rod goes in until it comes out make sure you leave the nut while hitting with hammer so you dont damage the thread unscrew the outer tierod count how many turns and put it back the same amount take the lock nut off and pull the boot its about a 15 minute job

rir74
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
ok take the tire off loosen the lock nut on the tie rod take the cotter pin out of the outer tie rod now loosen the nut on the outer tie rod when almost on the tip of the thread hit the knuckle were the outer tie rod goes in until it comes out make sure you leave the nut while hitting with hammer so you dont damage the thread unscrew the outer tierod count how many turns and put it back the same amount take the lock nut off and pull the boot its about a 15 minute job

Thanks for the excellent step by step info. Now ..... I think that I have racked up enough courage to tackle this job.