PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm, where to mount tachometer......

Calipso
12-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I know, people think it's ricey. I need an aftermarket tach because my RPM guage is WAY off. I can shift and such according to the sound of the engine and even then I don't need to, I just shift according to the speed I'm going.

I will be going to the track this spring, so I will need to get my RPM's right so I can shift before redline, but high enough to not bog down. So I'm thinking, I can mount it on the black gauge cover on the dash, but it could block the stock Tach and not look too good.

Mounting it on the dash in the center above the vents isn't an option, would look like crap and plus I'm going to be getting a radar detector there.

So where else? Perhaps on the left side of the dash near the vent by the pillar? I know I can mount it on the steering column, but again it would be blocking the speedometer/gauge cluster.

It's 3.5" and it comes with a mounting bracket. I can use the bracket, or somehow mold the gauge alone itself somewhere in the dash.

And no I don't have an automatic. :laughing:

Kalamidad
12-03-2006, 09:28 AM
why don't you get yourseld a A pillar pod? I mean, you'll only be looking at it when you're at the track right?

what year is your car? Another option is to hook it up and keep it stored away where the ashtray would be. When you need it, you can place it on top of the dash with velcro or something...

just some creativity on my side. I don't know if you like it.

thebirdman13
12-03-2006, 09:30 AM
how about... fix the one you have...

Calipso
12-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Have tried adjusting it, still off about 500-750 rpm's. Maybe more. Not going to waste money at the stealership for them to adjust it.

why don't you get yourseld a A pillar pod? I mean, you'll only be looking at it when you're at the track right?

what year is your car? Another option is to hook it up and keep it stored away where the ashtray would be. When you need it, you can place it on top of the dash with velcro or something...
just some creativity on my side. I don't know if you like it.

I actually am getting a pillar pod, but the tachometer isn't 2" it's 3 1/2". Not to mention I'm going to be putting other gauges in there.

Ashtray is going to be taken out and I'll be putting an SAFCII in there.

6G72gearhead
12-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Maybe in a vent.

pinoyesv6
12-03-2006, 11:49 AM

+1 on that.

plus the fact that it would look really funny having two tachs showing two different readings.

Kalamidad
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
how about, printing an adjusted gauge for your stock gauge? if you have stock gauges it'll be easy. If you have the S7, it' be a bit more challenging...

i remember someone posted a link to how to print your own gauges.

4g63lover
12-03-2006, 12:34 PM
My corolla didnt have a stock tachometer so I installed a 5" autometer tach with a idiot light and mounted it on the pillar. It has a little bracket on it and you can install it anywhere. Mine was crooked tho since it was intalled sideways. I didnt like having that big old thing plus a two-gauge pod. it gives you a really big bliindspot. If I had to get another tach Ill just custom mount it in the cluster along with new speedometer fuel and oil temp gauges.

seth98esT
12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Have tried adjusting it, still off about 500-750 rpm's. Maybe more. Not going to waste money at the stealership for them to adjust it.
I actually am getting a pillar pod, but the tachometer isn't 2" it's 3 1/2". Not to mention I'm going to be putting other gauges in there.

Ashtray is going to be taken out and I'll be putting an SAFCII in there.

How do you know its off? Why dont you take is to a shop to be calibrated?

I say two big thumbs down on the aftermarket tack. I dont even have a working tack right now, I think its more important for me to have one then you, just go buy the sound of the engine.

Xska55
12-03-2006, 02:38 PM
What kind of tach is it, Auto meter?

Calipso
12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
How do you know its off? Why dont you take is to a shop to be calibrated?

I say two big thumbs down on the aftermarket tack. I dont even have a working tack right now, I think its more important for me to have one then you, just go buy the sound of the engine.

I can tell it's off when I get it to 1,500 rpm's to start off in first gear and nearly stall out. That's sign number one. Sign number two is when I know it's redlining in 4th yet the tach has it @ 5,500.

Take it to a shop, pay some cash to have it calibrated when I'm going to clear my needles soon. And do it all over? You guys really don't like aftermarket tach's do ya?

What kind of tach is it, Auto meter?

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ProductImages/tinted7color/GS-T709_TINEDTACH.jpg

My corolla didnt have a stock tachometer so I installed a 5" autometer tach with a idiot light and mounted it on the pillar. It has a little bracket on it and you can install it anywhere. Mine was crooked tho since it was intalled sideways. I didnt like having that big old thing plus a two-gauge pod. it gives you a really big bliindspot. If I had to get another tach Ill just custom mount it in the cluster along with new speedometer fuel and oil temp gauges.

Yea, those autometer's are gigantic. This one is actually decent sized, and doesn't create any problems with observing anything on the road.

4g63lover
12-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I can tell it's off when I get it to 1,500 rpm's to start off in first gear and nearly stall out. That's sign number one. Sign number two is when I know it's redlining in 4th yet the tach has it @ 5,500.

Take it to a shop, pay some cash to have it calibrated when I'm going to clear my needles soon. And do it all over? You guys really don't like aftermarket tach's do ya?
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ProductImages/tinted7color/GS-T709_TINEDTACH.jpg
Yea, those autometer's are gigantic. This one is actually decent sized, and doesn't create any problems with observing anything on the road.

that dont look half bad. But i dont think you need it. clear your neeled then just get it recalibrated. do you knw why it went off?

SkylineG1
12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Why don't you just listen to your engine & that way you know when to shift & then after you clear your needles then after that you can get it recalibrated at a reputable shop.

seth98esT
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
get a new cluster? Probably cheaper then getting it calibrated and y ou dont have to look at a tacky tach.

Its your car, do as you will, just giving suggestions.

mindwerkz
12-04-2006, 12:00 PM
get a new cluster? Probably cheaper then getting it calibrated and y ou dont have to look at a tacky tach.

Its your car, do as you will, just giving suggestions.

My suggestions, in order are:

1) Just get the one you have fixed because as was stated previously, it'll look silly to have two tachs with different readings.

2) Buy a whole new cluster on eBay if you think the problem is with the tach itself.

3) Cut a hole out where the tach is now and put your new one right there. I'm telling you, there are few problems in the world that a dremel can't fix.

bronxbombr
12-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Damn MindWerks, you a car butcher yo. :)

Darkkend
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
If you must, cut a whole in one of your A/C vents and mount it there and when you dont need it anymore buy a new AC vent for like 5 bucks and its new again.

Serstylz2
12-04-2006, 03:21 PM
My gauges are here, maybe wouldnt want a Tach here tho cuz u would take ur eyes too much off the road:

mindwerkz
12-06-2006, 03:17 AM
Damn MindWerks, you a car butcher yo. :)

You think that's bad, you don't even wanna see the napkin blueprints for my carputer.

Serstylz2
12-06-2006, 08:37 PM
You could always get Defi VSD Basis, I was gonna get it but I think I'll wait till my next car

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/basis/images/image.jpg

6G72Galant
12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
SpeedHut custom gauges (http://www.speedhut.com/default.asp?bhcp=1)

Calipso
12-08-2006, 08:53 PM
SpeedHut custom gauges (http://www.speedhut.com/default.asp?bhcp=1)

Wow, um....what is your point? You posted a link, but no reason why? :roll:

Proto
12-08-2006, 09:20 PM
My tach hasnt worked since i switched to a SOHC cluster. I've been using my MPH to know mine. A used cluster is about the cheapest way to go. Just remember what your car idled at then put the needle there.

Calipso
12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
My tach hasnt worked since i switched to a SOHC cluster. I've been using my MPH to know mine. A used cluster is about the cheapest way to go. Just remember what your car idled at then put the needle there.

Last time I remember it was 750 @ idle. Perhaps some further adjustment may help.

6G72Galant
12-09-2006, 02:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Calipso Posted Today, 02:53 AM
QUOTE(6G72Galant @ Dec 8 2006, 04:56 PM)
SpeedHut custom gauges

Wow, um....what is your point? You posted a link, but no reason why?</div>

Maybe you didnt browse the site. I wish you would though, i plan on purchasing from there when i get some &#036;&#036;&#036;. I posted that website so you and other members can check it out. Theyve got some pretty cool gauges on there. And you can custom build your own set of gauges. Theyve got logos you can select, or logos you can personally design, various color arrangements, etc... Besides if your stock tach doesnt work, order a whole new custom gauge cluster instead. It would look much better than having 2 tachs. You ever check out the S7 gauges? Those look pretty nice too. But i think Speedhut has a very nice gauge cluster selection.

6G72gearhead
12-10-2006, 02:42 AM
We need a mod fast.