View Full Version : Loose suspension

acitydweller
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
In my 2000 8g ES, ive changed all four shocks and sway bar end links to finally have a decent ride.

however the suspension still feels loose which leads me up to believe its time to change out the bushings.

Can anyone advise on the bushings to change in the front and rear suspension.

I dont mind going the energysuspension route however this is more of a daily driver than a track car and i'd fear that going aftermarket may make the ride/handling a bit too harsh.

thanks

gtx
12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
In my 2000 8g ES, ive changed all four shocks and sway bar end links to finally have a decent ride.

however the suspension still feels loose which leads me up to believe its time to change out the bushings.

Can anyone advise on the bushings to change in the front and rear suspension.

I dont mind going the energysuspension route however this is more of a daily driver than a track car and i'd fear that going aftermarket may make the ride/handling a bit too harsh.

thanks

what shocks you got? springs?

the endlinks (even if aftermarket) won't do much without a decent swaybar. Even than, that only helps you to corner better.

Before bushings, I'd go with a AGX/Eibach Pro setup, if you want something better but don't want to go crazy on your DD, lowering will make the biggest difference.

just my .02

ps, search, you will find TONS of info on how to improve handling

acitydweller
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
what shocks you got? springs?

the endlinks (even if aftermarket) won't do much without a decent swaybar. Even than, that only helps you to corner better.

Before bushings, I'd go with a AGX/Eibach Pro setup, if you want something better but don't want to go crazy on your DD, lowering will make the biggest difference.

just my .02

ps, search, you will find TONS of info on how to improve handling

Thanks for your response. I apologise if i wasnt clear in my original post.

I am trying restore the car's handling to factory and diagnose the loose handling over rough road rather than lower my car. I just installed kyb gr-2 (or something) non-adjustable shocks to replace the stock ones that were blown.

I have searched on this forum and not found any threads near to what i am asking here. Replacing the end links did resolve the loose vibration emitted in the front suspension so they really did do something. Any other advice appreciated

6G72gearhead
12-08-2006, 02:42 PM
It could be the tierod end links. I'm going to be putting energy suspension bushings on my daily driven galant come this spring when I can alighn it for free.

acitydweller
11-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Here's an update to a multi month project...

Shocks were replaced with factory shocks/struts.
Energy Suspension bushing set from the Eclipse was installed (they do not make one for the 8G galant).
front/rear OEM Endlinks were installed.

Just yesterday, the balljoints were replaced. My buddies were questioning why i was replacing these as they appeared to be in fine condition however after taking the car out for a drive, the ride was noticibly better and did finally fix that vibration problem. The car now has over 100k so suspension parts are due to be replaced regardless. This is my third car over 100k that ive restored.

I could imagine this to have a near factory ride now , though stiffer with the ES bushings. I discovered some play in the front wheels and will be replacing the tierods as the final step in my suspension restoration project.

The only thing that needs fixing is the engine brushing noise. My guess is from faulty bearings but this can wait until i have more money saved up. Its just pretty annoying as you can hear the car on from far away.

acitydweller
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Also... the sway bar bushings were terribly worn and bushing and bracket was replaced with beefier one from Energy Suspensions. The side to side handling were noticibly firmer.

RAZ_76
11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
The Galant is loose because they are like that from factory. That is why people change suspension and sway bars in them and if you go from aftermarket suspension to stock, forget it! it will feel like a crappy ass ride.