PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous setup... need info!!

1995 galant s
11-20-2002, 10:26 PM
hey guys... im looking into buying a N20 setup for my 95 galant. Its the S model... ALL STOCK just intake, and muffler... automatic... please.... give me ALLLL the info you guys know..... what size shot... maybe size of jets.... everything. Also... most importantly..... if its a tottaly dumb idea, and im going to blow my engine and tranny to pieces. PLEASE get back to me as soon as possible!

Thanks guys,
Bradd

Kain
11-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Tranny's gonna be your weak point. The engine itself can handle all the nitrous you're likely to throw at it, the transmission is gonna crap out long before that. Almost completely stock, I'd say 75 is safe, with 100 on the outside. Guys who actually run nitrous can probably tell you more, but them's the basics.

seth98esT
11-20-2002, 11:29 PM
Jesse has a 75 shot Zex kit. Im not sure all what he has done in preparation of installation. I here that the Zex kit is the easiest to install, but I really do not know much.

fstrthnu
11-21-2002, 03:20 AM
I've been running the nitrous works "wet" 75 shot for about a year now w/out any problems. The only reason I would tell you not to is that I guess the auto trannies aren't very strong. But other than that it's definately the most bang for your buck.

Jesse
11-21-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm actually running a 65 shot of nitrous from Zex and I could probably do the install in less then 30 minutes.

Here's some info

Buy a bottle warmer. This makes the outside of the bottle warm which will put more pressure on inside since that's where the cold nitrous is therefor making the shot more powerful. This is more than a recommendation, it's almost like u need one with the other. You're wasting your nitrous if you don't have it. I went through 1 bottle with it and wasn't too impressed. I took about .8 off my 1/4m time, but then I put on my friends bottle warmer and noticed a big difference. I haven't done the 1/4m since, but I'd assume instead of .8 off, it's probably more like 1.2 off.

Also, 65 shot is safe, 75 is still safe IMO (in my opinion), but I'm considering throwing in a 100 shot or maybe even 125 shot just for a few passes at the track.

The a/t are like glass, so I'm not sure how much they can be abused.

I have my setup with a switch so that while I'm holding the button down, it injects nitrous rather then the WOT (wide open throttle) system. I have the WOT system, I just re-wired it.

With the WOT system, there's a white wire which connects to your TPS (throttle positioning sensor), when you're at WOT (meaning the peddle is to the floor) then the voltage in the TPS wire goes up to like 4.3 volts or so. The ZEX unit turns on after it receives 4.1 volts, so the only time it turns on is when it reaches 4.1 volts or more and that's how the WOT system works.

What I did was connect the white wire to a switch that gives it 12V's from the fuse box, so that anytime I press the button, it shoots. I have the button mounted next to my shifter so that after I shift and hook up, then I'll hold the button down. I won't waste nitrous in between shifts if my foot is on the pedal and I also won't damage my tranny or clutch since I'm waiting till my clutch is engaged before I shoot.

if u need more explanations, feel free to send me a message and I'll fill ya in.

peas

Jesse

Jesse
11-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Oh yea, don't forget to get spark plugs that are 2 heat ranges cooler.

With NGK plugs, the number goes in the opposite direction.

For all plugs, 5 in the OEM spec. Most plugs will need to be a 3 so that they run cooler and u don't risk detonation, but with NGK it becomes a 7 since the numbers go in the other order.

The spark plugs will get hot, and if they become to hot, they turn into glow plugs which are what diesel trucks use to burn the diesel which is basically a constant hot sparl (not exactly, but think of it that way for simplicity reasons). With 2 heat ranges cooler, u avoid detonation.