PDA

View Full Version : question about lowering my car

streetracer
11-21-2002, 03:35 PM
i sometimes see cars lowered to like an inch above the ground and I was wondering what to use to get my car that low. I've heard about adjustable lowering springs and coilovers but i dont know which ones to get. Certain springs only lower your car a specific height but i want to almost ride on my wheels, without damaging the wheels or something else. Are adjustable springs the way to go or is there something else. I have a 95 galant s. No body kit.

pinoyesv6
11-21-2002, 03:55 PM
if you find regular springs that drop really low that would be an option. like u said there are adjustable springs. then u got the fat guy in teh car, that'll lower your car. but talking more seriously, air bags or hydrolics (for that old skool touch) are another option

Dark Anghell
11-21-2002, 05:11 PM
There are couple of ways to drop your car that low.

One: Get lowering springs and cut them (I did that). Mine springs dropped the car a little under 3" off the ground, and with the kit, it was 1.5"-2" off the ground. I still have the springs, so if you wanna buy them we can talk about that. They are intrax springs, and not very bouncy either.

Two: Get coilovers from Ground Control or Skunk 2. Those should lower the car at least 3". (what i have now)
The two options above are cheap and easy to do. But my suggestion is to get new shocks that are adjustable. If you just slam your car, you will scrape everywhere. But if you have the right setup, the car can be low and don't scrape. When my ride was 2" off the ground I didn't scrape.

Three: Full coilover susp. this is the best way to go, it is also the most expensive way to go 1.5K. But it's worth it.

Four: Hydraulics, but I've heard the cornering/handling sucks ass.

RydnClean
11-21-2002, 05:59 PM
pavel......is that what u used to lower ur car in that pic?....if so is there anything wrong with them and how much do u want?.....i have some cheap ebay coilovers right now but i want something more quality.

streetracer
11-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info pavel. How much are u selling those lowering springs for? Also, why did u decide to buy the coilovers? Also, do u think my car would look dumb if i only had the shogun front bumper and not the side skirts or rear?

laosboyroy
11-22-2002, 02:12 AM
they make adjustable shocks what are they called cuz sears side there no such thing but tell me what they called and where to get that would be awsome thanks.

Dark Anghell
11-22-2002, 09:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(streetracer)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the info pavel. Â*How much are u selling those lowering springs for? Â*Also, why did u decide to buy the coilovers? Â*Also, do u think my car would look dumb if i only had the shogun front bumper and not the side skirts or rear?</div>

No it will look [retty good. The front will look kind of heavy because the bumper hangs very low. I had only front bumper for at least half a year.

As for the springs: I installed coilovers because I had no other choise. The sideskirts sit lower, so they were like an 1" or 1.5" off the ground, and I couldn't pull into my house. Pretty much I had no choise.
The springs I can sell for 60 bucks, and whoever buys them will pay for the shipping. I can even include the rubber pieces that go on top of the spring (if I still have them https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif )
As far as the quality goes: At first my car had Eibach springs cut, and the ride was very bouncy, but the wheels were tuckin' front and back. Then I got the Intrax, and cut those but not as much as the Eibach. The ride is fairly smooth, and the car doesn't bounce. So if anyone is interested, PM me.

RydnClean
11-23-2002, 01:31 AM
if u still want to sell those springs, ill take em off ur hand for ya.........jus let me know how much for shipping and all [email protected]

2True
11-24-2002, 01:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(royboyv)</div><div class='quotemain'>they make adjustable shocks what are they called cuz sears side there no such thing but tell me what they called and where to get that would be awsome thanks.</div>

KYB- AGX are sold here.... www.tirerack.com

Or anywhere you can get a deal. I got mine from there, best price I have found. :wink:

laosboyroy
11-24-2002, 02:15 PM
cool do they work good does it get pretty low with lowering springs it do i need a pro to innstall or can i do this myself probably not but who installed yours

2True
11-24-2002, 02:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(royboyv)</div><div class='quotemain'>cool do they work good does it get pretty low with lowering springs it do i need a pro to innstall or can i do this myself probably not but who installed yours</div>

I installed my AGX's and my Skunk2 coil-overs myself. Had to have a friend help me out, to pull the axle/rotor area away from the car and use a spring compressor to get the OEM assembly off. The coil-over's and the struts were a cinch to put on after that.

I have my car raised up almost to stock right now for the long winter and it's nice to be able to "dial" in your ride. Right now (almost stock height) I have them set at 3 in the front and 5 at the rear.
When I slam it in the summers (3" or so), I usually go with 2 in front and 3 for the rear for a stiffer ride.

Do you have springs or coils?

laosboyroy
11-26-2002, 02:14 AM
yah man i got the eibach pro kit installed on mine right now so you think i should get the shocks or just get coilovers.

2True
11-26-2002, 05:49 PM
That's up to you man, whatever you want to do... meet your needs.

I got coils so I could raise my car up in the harsh winter months, if it weren't for that I would have just gotten springs.

I had the Eibach + GR-2 setup for nearly a year and it rode perfect.

Personally I do not see the point in having adjustable struts with springs. I mean you will most likely just set the struts once and then forget it.

Unless you go to the dragstrip or off-roading er something :wink:

o0 XeRO G 0o
11-28-2002, 06:04 PM
alright.. i found coilovers for the galant on ebay, and i was wondering if anybody here has any experience witht them... are they worth the money? it's a lot cheaper than skunk 2 etc., so i was considering them.. i just dont know if i should go with those, or with skunk 2.. thanks

o0 XeRO G 0o
11-28-2002, 06:07 PM
BTW - the ones on ebay are by Springtech... thanks

2True
11-28-2002, 09:53 PM
You get what you pay for IMO

:wink:

BEAST
12-01-2002, 11:57 PM
That's up to you man, whatever you want to do... meet your needs.

I got coils so I could raise my car up in the harsh winter months, if it weren't for that I would have just gotten springs.

You have just convinced me too get coilovers. I hadn't even thought about that point until you brought it up. Here in Kansas we have hella rought winters and pretty clear summers.

2True
12-02-2002, 05:30 AM
You have just convinced me too get coilovers. I hadn't even thought about that point until you brought it up. Here in Kansas we have hella rought winters and pretty clear summers.

Hey BEAST, remember that an alignment may be necessary every time you raise or lower your ride. Just take that into consideration... me, I just roll with the negative camber during the summer :roll:

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>OMG this picture is hilarious!!</span> X7eyeHATEyou7X, you tha man..

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/images/avatars/d1f0130c3dd7a717e5832.jpg That's in the avatar's section?