PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster question

GTZinprogress
11-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Over the summer, i had noticed that my temp gauge wasn't reading properly. I figured it was the rev. el gauges gettin in the way and adjusted them so they wouldn't be in the way of the needle. Well...after putting it all back together, the el gauges wouldn't light up anymore...checked all the connections, and to no avail..stilol wouldn't light up anymore. The only thing i think it can be is that the ballast went bad...AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME I WAS WORKIN ON IT!!!....go figure. Well....that day, i couldn't leave well enough alone. So, since my el gauges weren't workin any more, i took them off. Then, i decided to take the cluster out again and strip the red coloring from the needles. Apparently, while movin the needles around while doin this.......my fuel gauge is all f***ed up. It now reads about 3/4 when the tank is full. Now I have to be REALLLL careful, cause the gauge reads empty for the last 1/4 tank of gas...and by the time the gas light comes on, i better be REALLLLL close to a gas station. On top of all that, the now colorless needles.......LOOK LIKE SHIT, in my opinion. How do i go about getting a whole new GTZ gauge cluster? How much will it cost? Will the new odometer auto calibrate itself to recognize how many miles my car has? PLEASE HELP!!!!!.......I HATE THE WAY THE NEEDLES LOOK, AND I'D LIKE TO FIX THIS BEFORE I'M STRANDED ON THE ROADSIDE, OUT OF GAS.
I should have known..."Don't f*** wit it if it ain't broke."

Tiptronic
11-21-2002, 04:48 PM
i have some needles that i got from another member who didnt need them. i had been doing work on mine, and wanted to make sure that if i screwed them up, i had a replacement. you are more than welcome to them, cause mine came out great

Reelax
11-21-2002, 04:49 PM
you can recalibrate the fuel needle by pulling it off then filling up the tank and then pushing it back on at full, w/ the car on in park, after going around the block a few times to warm up the car.

pinoyesv6
11-21-2002, 04:54 PM
uhm you dont' wanan take off ur needles. thats an even bigger problem. you risk them being more outa callibration and even messing up the cluster

and chanigng out the cluster, well that involves alot of money, alot of time and alot of paperwork to do so taht u can do it legally

Tiptronic
11-21-2002, 05:12 PM
i took my needles off when i cleared mine, and when i put them back on, i had no problems at all

Lazarus
11-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeah man I had the same problem and i was driving to florida for christmas last year and my tank said full and I wasn't thinking and before I knew it my gas light came on. I was like Whoa and I just crossed over into NC and there wasn't a Gas Station for a while. But Yeah I filled the tand and put the needle back on. If it's off on Gas you would rather it read that you have less gas that you actually have that way if it gets low then you know you have a little more. but don't rely on that when your driving. just look at it like it's accurate. but for the Temp I did like Relax said and I drove around til the Car got warm and I know the needle sits right a the half way point and I put the needle on there. and The same with my Tach.

BlueESV6
11-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear about the gauges. If it's really messed up you can try to get the needles and fix what youv'e got . Or, you may want to try a junk yard/ salvage yard for a new cluster (if your lucky what you need in it). But like Pinoy said, buying from a dealer I think involves writing to your DMV and adjusting the legal mileage. I'd make some calls before you do anything and price it out....

Good Luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
11-21-2002, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>. Or, you may want to try a junk yard/ salvage yard for a new cluster (if your lucky what you need in it). But like Pinoy said, buying from a dealer I think involves writing to your DMV and adjusting the legal mileage. Â*</div>

no matter where u get ur cluster, even if your friend gives one to you, if you want to install it in your car, you still need to do all that legal work

o yea i wasn't only talking about callibration when removing the needles. you can actaully damage the mechanism that turns the needles if you remove them the wrong way or you do it too forcefully or something like that...

Xavier22
11-22-2002, 08:28 AM
my fuel guage is all fucked up also still..........it now reads half a tank exactly, when its close to empty and the light always comes on then!!

damn, i didn't know it required that much work for a new cluster or to get it re-calibrated!!
if i just get the gas needle re-calibrated, will i have to do all that paperwork still?also, where can i get that shit re-calibrated, if i do???
if i can't re-calibrate it, how much paperwork and money we talking about for a new cluster and so forth!!!!

Gizmo
11-22-2002, 08:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinGAzteK02LA)</div><div class='quotemain'>my fuel guage is all fucked up also still..........it now reads half a tank exactly, when its close to empty and the light always comes on then!!

</div>

The gas light will come on only when your tank is almost empty. The light is not connected to the gauge at all, there is a sensor in the tank for the light. My gas gauge has been fucked up for the longest, I just rely on the light and watch the mileage. Need to get it fixed though, trying to make friends with one of the service advisors at the dealership. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Xavier22
11-22-2002, 09:00 AM
what'cha talking bout' gizmo - i know the light is not conncected to the needle - i specifically stated that the when the tank is almost empty, the gas needle is on the 1/2 tank mark and thats when the gas light comes on, to let me know i need gas!!! but i dont really rely on that, i just set my tripometer, when i get some gas and keep track by it like that!!!

Gizmo
11-22-2002, 09:12 AM
My bad King guess I misread your post, I thought you meant that the light was always coming on when the needle was on E.

Yeah I always reset my trip odometer also, not a biggie.

Xavier22
11-22-2002, 09:33 AM
NO DOUBT, YO - its just a pain in da ass having to keep track by the tripomoter, know what i mean!! - i took the guages and the speedhut bezel back out, so maybe i'll do like pinoy said and take it to the dealership and see what the fuck they say!! o shit, but i passed the 3yr 36k warranty, im at 40k on my 2002 - what warranty would the stock guages and the cluster be under???anyone

Gizmo
11-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey King you have 40k miles on a 2002? DAMN!!! Where do you go?

Xavier22
11-22-2002, 10:29 AM
yeah 40k - i go to south. fl about every 3-4 months - 1500 miles each trip and i drive about 80 miles a day combined to and from work!
not a georgia person - imo ------>Georgia is boring n dull-weather is nasty-mad pollution; lots of country etc. !!!but, i'm stuck in this state til this time next year cuz of prob.!

im a fl person - u know - gotta be by the palm tress and the ocean down south -

Fishboy55
11-22-2002, 10:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinGAzteK02LA)</div><div class='quotemain'>NO DOUBT, YO - its just a pain in da ass having to keep track by the tripomoter, know what i mean!! - i took the guages and the speedhut bezel back out, so maybe i'll do like pinoy said and take it to the dealership and see what the fuck they say!! o shit, but i passed the 3yr 36k warranty, im at 40k on my 2002 - what warranty would the stock guages and the cluster be under???anyone</div>
Your gauges and clusters are covered under your standard 36/36 warranty. I can tell you it's about $500 to replace the cluster with a new unit.

Chip

Xavier22
11-22-2002, 11:33 AM
36/36? - 36k miles or 36 months - so thats long gone 4k miles ago!
k, so figure bout $500 for a new cluster!! y can't they just recalibrate the gas guage only?? everything else is fine, except the gas needle!!!damn but $500, maybe i'll just wait!!

cluster, cluster, cluster, its a motherfucker
u try to do it some good by adding some style n color
and the shit just acts like a sucker......................

GTZinprogress
11-22-2002, 01:09 PM
It's just my gas gauge that doesn't read the proper level. All the other needles read correctly. It's just that they all look like crap because i removed the red from them. Mitsu I4:Thank you...i'd love those needles. I sent you an email..plase respond, and we can set it all up. Now a few questions for everyone else......Does anyone know how much it will cost me for the dealer to replace and recalibrate those needles, when i get them from mitsu i4? Also, if it is the ballast that is broken on my rev. el gauges, can i get a new one from GDI? - that's where i got them from. Will i have to buy a whole new set of el gauges? I remember a bunch of people complaining about their ballasts breaking. Did GDI replace them for free? Maybe i'll just wait for AC Autotechnic to make those S7's for our cars and buy them....i don't know :roll: