PDA

View Full Version : New supercharger, new turbo, or 4g63t swap?

BEAST
11-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Ripp Mods is in the process of building a supercharger for our 7gs. I was wondering what you guys thoughts were on this. Do you think that I should get the supercharger. I believe that it is around $3900.00 plus I image about $900 for it to be installed. If I went this route I would definatly have to get a new tranny, different low compression pistons I would imagine, and new headers.Same with if I got a turbo put onto the 4g64. I am thinking about swaping to a 4g63t because that way I can get the tranny that comes with the 4g63t. So I am thinking that this will be the cheapest way to go.

BEAST
11-30-2002, 01:19 PM
No one has any imput?

bstnsportsfan
12-02-2002, 08:11 PM
I'd personally go for the 4g63. It would probably be less expensive and I'd think you'd have more options for mods.

Dark Anghell
12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
OK you will need new tranny no matter what, all the options above will require a new tranny.
>>>Supercharger is great for all of the low-end torque, but not good on high-end, as the matter of fact, it will give you just a little bit more hp but not a whole lot. Plus you will gain only 50LBS or so of torque.
>>>4G64 turbo is great for lots of HP. As the matter of fact I will most likely go this route. The cost for the swap is about 2K or more if you do the pistons. But there's one company that I will most likely buy my engine from, it's called Magnus Motorsport. The engine costs 4K (just a little more than the supercharger), it's fully built with DOHC head instead of SOHC. The best thing about this motor is that it's FULLY built (new crank, pistons, rods, valves, cams, etc.), there are two compression rations to choose from 9:1 and 10:1. The engine is good for 800+ HP!!!!! You probably would have to buy the turbo separately, but if you push only 300-400HP through the motor, that thing will last forever.
>>>4g63T is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Great thing about this motor is that it is made for turbo, so ned to change pistons. The downside is the crankwalk, which all 7-bolt motors have at some piont. Once again Magnus Motorsport came out with the eliminator kit which solves the problem, but in order to install the kit, you have to tear apart the bottom end, and pull the crank out of the car.
One way to escape the crank-walk is to get the 6-bolt motor which can be found in the first gen eclipses up to 93 I believe, in 94 mitsubishi began installing the 7-bolt motors. One downside to the 6-bolt is that their exaust manifolds crack very easily. But you can purchase a new/used one from DSM trader for 100 bucks or so.

I hope my writing is clear, feel free to ask more questions https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

BEAST
12-03-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks that did help a little. I figured that I would just get the stock tranny with the 4G63t so that is why I said that I wouldn't need to get a new tranny. I wasn't really aware about the crankwalk thing. I would probably be looking for an earlier year motor anyway because I think that I heard somewhere that they were a little better.