PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer and tachometer not working!!!

BLsGalant97
11-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Ok today i was out driving doing errands, got a pair of 6x9s installed, etc. And noticed nothing....i know for a fact that my speedometer and tachnometer (i think thats whats its called...the milleage thing) were working cause i passed a cop on the side of the road trying to catch speeders. I remember looking down and seeing that i was doing 75-80. But anyways it was working. But tonight after leaving my girlfiends house i noticed that both my speedometer and mileage counter were not moving at all......but the 3 other gauges were fine. What is wrong?!?!?! It was working all day like normal but tonight it wasnt working!!!! I want to fix this soon so i dont mess up my mileage counter to much. HELP PLEASE!!!!

BLsGalant97
11-22-2002, 12:19 PM
Anyone???? Exactly how does the speedometer work is there some type of sensor or something that tells the car how has its going and how many miles it traveled????

95G-Hustler
11-22-2002, 12:34 PM
there is a peice that goes into the tranny toward the rear of the tranny that has a pin that reads the speedometer, when i was changing my tranny i broke that and my speedometer stopped working, so that could be a problem, but for the speedo and tach to stop working, it might be something else

manybrews
11-22-2002, 06:51 PM
it depends on the year of the car, but you more than likely have a failing vehicle speed sensor.
its located on the transaxle, toward the rear. its a small gear thats driven off the differential, and it then converts the rotational movement into an electronic pulse that is read by the speedo (and ODOMETER.. the tachometer is the other gauge that is reading the engine speed).

anyway, you outta have it checked out. there are many reasons it could not be working. it may be unplugged. it may have failed electronically. it may be working, but the gauge has a problem. you could have an open in any of the 3 wires leading to it..
etc.etc.etc.

BLsGalant97
11-22-2002, 08:33 PM
ok thanks...i just wanted to get an idea of what was wrong with it...i will probably get it checked out on Monday.