PDA

View Full Version : EBC Brake Pads, a waste!

shadow83
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I recently replaced all of the brake pads on my G8 with EBC standard black pads and what a mistake it was. Within a week my rotors warped, even the rear and I had them all resurfaced. They all squeal like a stuck pig. I like to have an extra set of rotors to limit the down time when doing brakes (don't need to wait for them to be turned) so I ordered a set of good ones, not slotted or drilled but good quality Raybestos. I changed the rotors this past Saturday and even sprayed the pads with disc quiet. Within 2 days I could already feel the rotors shimmy and the squeal hasn’t changed. I must say that they do stop much better with little pressure but the rest is not worth it. I would have to get my rotors turned every month.

This weekend I am going to replace the EBC with some good aftermarket pads and trash them. Buying EBC is like throwing money out of the window. They’re trash!!! :smt013

6G72gearhead
02-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Hawk HPS's thier designed to be a more streetable performance pad.

pinoyesv6
02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
also if you don't torque everything down to spec and break the pads in properly you can run into trouble.

Da_silvagride
02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I had the same experience with EBCs. Great for stopping, but warped the hell out of my rotors. Had to resurface them to the bare min. I need some heavy duty stuff. I drive pretty hard on the brakes. Any good setups besides the powerslot and Hawk pads. I am grinding now so I need some new ones soon. I was looking at Baer brakes, where would I find it for like $300. Thanks.

6G72gearhead
02-09-2007, 01:23 AM
What dont you like about the powerslot/hawk set up, I dont really know what baer hs to offer but they do make good stuff.

qnz
02-09-2007, 07:59 AM
i have a brembo/axis setup. very quiet, excellent stopping power, but very dusty. i have to clean my rims every other week to keep them looking good. with the brakes and tires as the most important parts of the car, why buy the cheap stuff?

Titanium03G
02-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised to hear all the negative things about EBC. I put green stuff pads and slotted/dimpled rotors on my wifes Envoy XL and have had no problems. I also just put green stuff pads and sloted rotors on the front of my G and have the matching rear setup ready to go on as soon as I can get the time to do a rear drum to disc conversion.

6G72gearhead
02-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I wouldnt touch EBC's with a 10' stick, if you talk to people in the racing community they have nothing good to say about them with reason to back it up.

Titanium03G
02-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I like my EBC's.....so far anyway :lol:

But then again I don't race my car. But for daily driving I don't notice any brake fade or warped rotors.

6G72gearhead
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
They just dont hold up to the abuse other pads will, and when it comes to my brakes I want something that wont fail no matter how much I abuse them.

pLUGSNEt
02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree but i wouldnt just roast a set of brake pads because they dont hold up on a track... if you do daily driving your brakes dont heat up nearly as much as a track car would.... are they ceramic pads....

pinoyesv6
02-10-2007, 11:21 AM
factory rotors warp so easily that i wouldn't even resurface them. you guys complain about how they warp so easily but my resurfacing them you're just making them thinner and easier to warp. using "peformance" pads and factory rotors is even worse since warping is caused by heat and well, these "peformance" pads heat up hotter than the factory pads. again, easier to warp the rotors.

but yea, if you do decide to get the rotors turned, get them turned on the car instead of off the car.

6G72gearhead
02-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree but i wouldnt just roast a set of brake pads because they dont hold up on a track... if you do daily driving your brakes dont heat up nearly as much as a track car would.... are they ceramic pads....
I know, but I've just heard enough bad things about them with evidence to back it up that I really wouldnt consider them.

AVERAGE
02-10-2007, 03:40 PM
but yea, if you do decide to get the rotors turned, get them turned on the car instead of off the car. How? I've never heard of this method

Danger DANJ
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
but yea, if you do decide to get the rotors turned, get them turned on the car instead of off the car. How? I've never heard of this method
Turning rotors is the same as cutting the rotors. Basically, you take them to a brake shop and have them cut down the face of the rotors until they are perfectly flat again. You can only do that a couple times before they are too thin to use anymore.

4-G-rim
02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I have heard mixed review on EBC brake pads..but more bad reviews than good. The general consensus though I am getting is that they don't last very long espeically for the price too.

Hawk brake pads though I hear are great and are strongly recommended among the AutoX / Circuit enthusiast that I have come to contact with.

shadow83
02-16-2007, 12:39 AM
They just dont hold up to the abuse other pads will, and when it comes to my brakes I want something that wont fail no matter how much I abuse them.

My Dad always said, "It's an inconcenience if your car will not start, but it'll ruin your day if it will not stop".