PDA

View Full Version : Wind Noise... damn

wspjams
11-22-2002, 07:51 AM
I finally drove my new car with no radio blaring on the interstate and relized there is a good bit of wind noise. It seems to be coming from the top of the passenger's frint window, but I do have a sunroof, so I may be wrong.

It is a 2003 GTZ, any thoguhts? Anybody else experience the same thing?

delo
11-25-2002, 10:22 AM
it might be from the sunroof. a 2003 gtz u must post pics of it.

TJC
11-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Welcome to TGC wspjams and congratulations on your new G-ride. I'm surprised that you have much of a wind noise even at high speeds because the seals for the windows on the framed doors is pretty tight. If I remember correctly, I did see the rubber door trims near the top by the window area were poorly inserted on someones Galant and I just took my fingertips and a little bit of nail to slowly press it back into place. So that might be your problem too. There's like a metal groove that the rubber is supposed to be squished into. If it's off, you'll know it b/c it should look consistant all the way around.

New G Man
11-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Did you try closing the "cover" inside the car? I notice when I drive with the top closed but the cover inside open you hear some wind noise. Close the cover that should do it.

Ghost Beat
11-26-2002, 11:38 AM
what i did for a little noice i was getting when i put my roof rack on for snowboarding when i got a lot of noice was before and after i put it on and on a usual basis i clean the rubber molding around the door's when it gets dryish and hard it seems to make a lot of noice when you keep it in good condition u can hear a pin drop in your car but in my case you just hear the boom from the subz :twisted: hope that helps

wspjams
11-26-2002, 05:17 PM
I appreciate your thoughts.

I always have my sunroof cover closed, and my car is brand new, so the door jams, seals etc, are quite clean.

I don't get it, I think I will take the srvice managre that is at my dealer for a ride and see what he thinks.

EvoLuTioN
11-26-2002, 07:13 PM
i don't have a sunroof and i have really bad road noise (wind mostly) coming into my cabin as well... i just thought it was shitty insulation... no sounddeadening in doors... maybe i'm wrong... i'm gonna have to check my seals too...

coquibone14
12-29-2002, 03:41 PM
i own a 2000 galant and i found considerable road noise in mine as well, i did some research into it (online) and i found out on one of the reviews for galant that the galants have a tendancy to produce alot of road and wind noise at higher speeds, im not to sure where i found that article it was about a year or so ago when i found it, but im sure i can refind it for you all if you want.

wspjams
12-29-2002, 06:02 PM
I would like to see that article if you are able to find it... thanks.

Happy New Year

NRG
12-29-2002, 06:15 PM
I think that is so not true!!! I have had my Galant since 01 Jan and I have never experience any loud road noise. To my knowledge, Galants are very well insulated. If you look at our door seals, you will see not one but two very thick rubber weather strippings......

If you really do experience noise, I suggest you go through the 8G service manual and look for a section that teaches you how to elminate the noise. It tells you step by step.....

wspjams
12-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Is that available online??

NRG
12-29-2002, 10:12 PM
yes, the service manual is available in our homepage.......look for it there.....

jman380
12-31-2002, 12:03 AM
PEOPLE I DRIVE A 2001 FULLY LOADED AND TRUST ME GALANTS SUCK STUCK UNLESS YOU HOOK IT UP FROM SUSPENSION TO LEATHER SEATS
THE RIDES ARE VERY ROUGH AND THEY DO HAVE ALOT OF WIND NOISE
THATS BECAUSE THEY MADE THE CAR FOR LOOKS NOT FOR QUALITY
MITSUBISHI IS KNOWN FOR THAT
THATS Y THERES A LAWSUIT ON THEM
FOR WARRANTY FRAUD
AND NOT DOING ANY RECALLS

NRG
12-31-2002, 12:16 AM
I dunno what you're talking about.....My Galant happens to have a very very smooth ride STOCK.....No wind noise..........I have driven many other similar priced cars and I believe Galant is the winner in overall performance + looks.....

ewgiii
12-31-2002, 01:01 AM
same here, i have a 2002 es 4480 miles. great ride, no sound from sunroof, shitty brakes. even though i got it used w/ 3500 miles, i still dont think the brakes should have been squeekin as loud as they were. It was under warantee, though. saved me $300 to repair the brakes. (mitsubishi's too cheep to give me new pads, they just repaired them) but what do i know? i'm 16.
just my 2cents

Fishboy55
12-31-2002, 07:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jman380)</div><div class='quotemain'>PEOPLE I DRIVE A 2001 FULLY LOADED AND TRUST ME GALANTS SUCK STUCK UNLESS YOU HOOK IT UP FROM SUSPENSION TO LEATHER SEATS
THE RIDES ARE VERY ROUGH AND THEY DO HAVE ALOT OF WIND NOISE
THATS BECAUSE THEY MADE THE CAR FOR LOOKS NOT FOR QUALITY
MITSUBISHI IS KNOWN FOR THAT
THATS Y THERES Â*A LAWSUIT ON THEM Â*
FOR WARRANTY FRAUD
AND NOT DOING ANY RECALLS</div>
First, learn where your caps lock key is located. Second, I also have a 2000 GTZ and it rides just fine stock with no wind noise to speak of. Third, the lawsuit against Mitsu is regarding the brakes, it's a class action suit and has yet to make it to court. There have been a number of recalls for non brake related issues, which were all resolved. So before you come on here and hate, get your facts straight, please.

(I'm Sounding like Burthold :laughing:)

Chip

ChromeGalant
12-31-2002, 08:43 AM
Yeah Dog... find the caps lock key and unlock that shit..

If you are that unhappy with your Galant, SELL it..

anfield
12-31-2002, 12:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coquibone14)</div><div class='quotemain'>i own a 2000 galant and i found considerable road noise in mine as well, i did some research into it (online) and i found out on one of the reviews for galant that the galants have a tendancy to produce alot of road and wind noise at higher speeds, im not to sure where i found that article it was about a year or so ago when i found it, but im sure i can refind it for you all if you want.</div>

mine is 02 es, overall I think galant is pretty quiet. the only thing that I notice is the tire noise on some coarse pavement.

Dominicano
12-31-2002, 02:09 PM
same here on the tires when i am driving i hear them, but i always have my music up so the noise it gone https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

BlankMan
01-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Just my .02...

I agree the Galant has excessive WIND noise at highway speeds. ROAD noise is not bad, unless you drive on concrete-paved highways - then it, too, is far excessive.

My thoughts could be biased, though. I have an older (94) Lincoln Continental that I base my observations from. To anyone who thinks the Galant does NOT have WIND noise - ride in a 94+ Continental or Towncar for a few hours then switch back to the Galant. You'll notice it then!

But, still, I love my Galant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

J

NRG
01-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Well, that might just be your Galant then. I've riden in many cars after I got my Galant and it is better than most.

When you are talking about road noise from coarse pavement, well that could be your tires...Try changing your tires. Any experienced drivers here will tell you tires makes a lot of difference on performance and noise.

luxcrusr2000
01-02-2003, 12:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>When you are talking about road noise from coarse pavement, well that could be your tires...Try changing your tires. Â*Any experienced drivers here will tell you tires makes a lot of difference on performance and noise.</div>

To piggyback on what NRG said, if you have the stock Goodyears they will make a lot of noise. Trust me, if you can, get some better tires on your car and you'll notice a huge improvement.

jman380
01-04-2003, 01:48 AM
sorry people about the other day of what i wrote about the wind noise didnt for any body to get mad but what i said is true my salesman and the service man. told everything aboutthe lawsuit. and mitsu was fined for those type of actions last year. im just frustrated cuz this is my working car and its nothing like like my fam car