PDA

View Full Version : weird whining sound

Tiptronic
11-22-2002, 08:37 PM
i just came from picking up my brother, and i was showing him my intake, and when i opened up the hood, i started hearing this low tine whining. its hard to describe. im sure everyone remembers that race track you had as a child. well its sounds like the motor for those little cars. or maybe even like that annoying low tone sound that bees make when they are buzzing around your hear. it is a constant tone. when you stand on the drivers side in the front, it sounds like its coming from somewhere behind the area of the spark plugs. can anyone think of what it may be, or have possibly heard this sound. it is the first time that i have heard it.

i have noticed that the car seems to be a bit sluggish, but that might be from changing octane from 89 to 93, but the engine light hasnt come on.

HELP!! i'm really worried.

Fishboy55
11-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Don't get all worried. I bet you it's your PCV valve buzzing. to check, just pinch the hose that connects to the PCV and see if it stops. As for how to solve it, I haven't figured that out yet. I tried replacing the valve twice, moving it around, everything I could think of but the damned thing still buzzzes. nothing to be concerned about though, if that's what yours is Anthony.

Chip

Tiptronic
11-23-2002, 12:22 AM
whatever it is, its coming from the behind the block and in front of the firewall. just not sure what side. sound echo at night. i will check in the morning for a better look. thanks for the info.

BTW, as far as the octane difference. how long do you think it will be after i go back to the old octane that my car will go back to normal.

toc8g
11-23-2002, 01:24 AM
yeah,..it made that sound in my 2000 and my 2002. It comes from the UFO looking thingy on top.

Prophet
11-23-2002, 02:32 AM
Yeah I hear the same thing. Expecially when I turn the car off I hear it also. I called Injen about it and they said it is normal. I have had that sound ever since I got my intake so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jason

RedGalant2k1
11-23-2002, 02:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toc8g)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah,..it made that sound in my 2000 and my 2002. It comes from the UFO looking thingy on top.</div>

i believe its for the cruise control, its just confused because of the larger intake of air....but i could be wrong https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

toc8g
11-23-2002, 10:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I hear the same thing. Â*Expecially when I turn the car off I hear it also. Â*I called Injen about it and they said it is normal. Â*I have had that sound ever since I got my intake so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jason</div>

I think the noise I am talking about is a little different but the one you are talking about yes,..it is normal thats the hissing noise from the intake.

Prophet
11-24-2002, 01:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toc8g)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I hear the same thing. Â*Expecially when I turn the car off I hear it also. Â*I called Injen about it and they said it is normal. Â*I have had that sound ever since I got my intake so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jason</div>

I think the noise I am talking about is a little different but the one you are talking about yes,..it is normal thats the hissing noise from the intake.</div>

No I know about the hissing sound from the air intake. I get a weird sound like something is winding down when I turn my car off. Sometimes when I am working on the car and I disconnect the battery I hear that sound also.

Jason

Tiptronic
11-24-2002, 01:37 AM
i went out there earlier today, and didnt hear the noise right off. but after driving around for a while, and the engine really got warm, i started to hear it again. whatever it is, normal or not, is very annoying

toc8g
11-24-2002, 04:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I get a weird sound like something is winding down when I turn my car off. Sometimes when I am working on the car and I disconnect the battery I hear that sound also. Â*
</div>

Yeah thats the shit i am talking about,...that buzzing sorta noise. It comes from that ufo looking thingy..

Galant01
12-11-2002, 01:26 PM
i have the same think when I hit the gas.

BGR
12-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Sound something like a crackling noise, huh? Yeah, I heard that on mine, too.

Xavier22
12-11-2002, 02:42 PM
i've experienced something like that, also!!! when i'm driving normal after i just turned on my car and i start accelerating to about 30-45mph, i can hear a sound in the engine, very low, but i notice it!!! maybe, its because i don't let the car idle and warm up at times when its cold outside!!! but it concerns me at times!!! i mostly hear it when accelerating, like its struggling!!! what do yall think - its 02 w/ 41 k on it!!!

as for the buzzing sound, when i go outside at times to smoke a cig., i turn the radio on, but thats it, and every like 2-4 minutes, i hear a buzzing sound towards the battery area, and it briefly lasts for like a good 3-4 seconds and then goes away!!! only problem is i'm bone-stock mostly!!

suggestions, help

BGR
12-11-2002, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinGAzteK02LA)</div><div class='quotemain'>as for the buzzing sound, when i go outside at times to smoke a cig., i turn the radio on, but thats it, and every like 2-4 minutes, i hear a buzzing sound towards the battery area, and it briefly lasts for like a good 3-4 seconds and then goes away!!! only problem is i'm bone-stock mostly!!

suggestions, help</div>

Yep. that's the noise i'm referring to. Sometimes it makes this noise without the radio being turned on.

Xavier22
12-11-2002, 02:54 PM
thats true, Rich - what concersn me mostly is when i accelerate at times, i can hear like a little whining in the engine, like its telling me something!!!! i mean shit, i'm just talking a smooth take-off!!!

damn, oh well, maybe we can figure out the root of what causes these different noises and if it affects our engines in a bad way!

Gilhuly
12-13-2002, 04:15 PM
I have had a distinct rather loud buzzing noise come from of the fuses or relays in the fusebox there near the battery. It went away though.

Eclipse97526
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
i recently took a trip to SAC . And now i am experiencing this same issue, or close to the same issue. Except it is noticbly coming from the passangerside. Where the belts are. Best way i can describe it is as if i have installed a Turbo... Everyone is like. You got a turbo finally !!!! lol... But infact it seems to be coming from either my power steering , or my AC. Anyone know if there is a way to add oil to your AC condenser ? I know in old ass cars sometimes the AC pump just needed a little oil. or if it is just a belt issue or something. Seems to get ALOT quieter when i turn my AC on. But when the AC is off, It sounds like a supercharger or a turbo spooling up. PM me with any ideas. Thanks

SkylineG1
07-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I have that whining noise too. It's definately from the belt area but I have no idea what it is. My car idles around 800-900 rpm. if I go higher I don't here it but at low rpm I hear it.

boochieboy
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I got that sound today,,,,,I was working under the hood and that shit surprised me,,,I was looking for a damn beetle or bug in my engine bay ... "looks around all confused ". When it did it like 3 more times a few minutes apart, I went to turn the car on to see if something was wrong and realized the key was on the accessory position. I turned it all the way off and it stopped.

IHateMyGalant
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
This happened to me today. I smelled a faint odor, sort of like nail polish remover. I get home, shut it off and there is a buzzing sound coming from under the fuse box area. I completely disconnected the battery and the buzzing sound continued for about another 2 or 3 minutes.

oakrdrs187
08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Reading back to the discussion between the admins and OP, it sounds like there's was the odd but normal clicking sounds you get when the engine is off and the key is on. But in your case and since you heard it from fuse-box area, possible bad relay.