PDA

View Full Version : Side skirts ??????

SilverKnight
02-12-2007, 12:28 AM
i was sitting in the garage test fitting the side skirts on the G and i started to think how ugly and problematic it is riveting bodykits on and i got an idea. Instead of riveting the side skirts on what if i mold them on to the door sills to make them look good. now here is the question.. has anyone done this before and does anyone see any problems i might run into or any ideas throw them at me as i want it to look clean without the rivets showing or having the bondo start to crack where the rivets were placed.

milo111000
02-12-2007, 02:06 AM
dang!!! what happened to your G??? not really sure about your ??? but pretty sure some body here have had something like that done.. good luck.

pinoyesv6
02-12-2007, 08:46 AM
im guessing you want to do something like this (https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32610&highlight=)

SilverKnight
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
what im really trying to do is get the plastic doorsill like in the picture below and mold it to the sideskirts that way i wont have to get the car repainted just the bodykit parts.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/352000-352999/352741_148_full.jpg

fatal1
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
it could work if you just mold them in but then you would still have that problem in the other areas that the door sill doesnt cover, basically if you mold them you do it on the car and get at minimum that whole area of the car painted, otherwise if you plan on going the cheaper easier way you will more then likely have to rivet bolt or srew them on, but normally you wouldnt do it in that area anyway, you would do it at the ends where there already are bolts

8G_GTZ
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Alright, a question in my field.

Ok you have 3 routes of doing this:
-Rivet/Screw not molded and painted sideskirts not having to paint the car.

-Mold on sanding the least amount possible of the actual body and having to blend the paint form the sideskirts.

-Mold on and re-paint the entire car.

Now, which ever you choose to be the easiest is up to you. As far as doing the actual molding you don't want to use bondo. That will crack over time reguardless. What you want to use is flexible parts filler made for plastic bumpers. Use that to fill majority of it and on top of that you can use a layer of fiberglass resin which will make a nice hard surface and will cure rather smoothly. What I ended up doing was that alnog the door sills, but before you go and mold the sills, be sure that the sideskirt sit where you want them in the wheel wells. If you don't get them to sit flush with the body you may end up having to fiberglass a small section between the sills and sideskirt. While you add layer after layer, be sure to check that the door clears it. If not, you will get it painted and then go to close your door and see that the bottom of the door is scraping your paint away. You want to have a good strong build up, but not have a high layer to where this happens. Hope that answers most of your questions.

Steve

Reelax
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
mine are molded and the entire car was resprayed. cost about $3500 for install and prep (all minor dents fixed) and paint (which is actually a very good price).

2kgalant
02-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Hey Reelax, was that $3500 including the door jambs, inside the trunk, and under the hood? Damn, some of the well known shops where i live are asking around 5-6 grand for a complete paint job.