PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Basics 101

spicytuna
02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
hey guys I want to add a little extra thump to my ride, nothing crazy. My questions is since I already have a semi-decent head unit connected to my factory Infinity amp. If I want to add a sub do I need to completely replace my Infinity amp?

Sorry for the dumb question. I never did anything like this before. :wink:

fatal1
02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
well you should have postyed this in the audio section but the infinity amp powers the interior speakers, for a subwoofer you would need another amp to power the sub, or a powered sub like the infinity basslink etc

Jeffylou87
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
if you want something not too loud but thumps i would look for a powered sub... that means it has an amp built in... The infinity amp is for the interior speakers... Look here on www.crutchfield.com... look for powered subwoofers... the more you spend the better it sounds...

RedGalant2k1
02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
No, you can keep the infinity amp for your interior speakers and add an aftermarket amp for subwoofers. When I had my 01 Galant (that had the infinity system) I used whats called a line level coverter that went from the rear speaker wires to the rca connections on my amp.

To give a little better description of what a line level converter is here we go:

Similar to a MITAH adapter, a line level coverter converts from normal speaker wires (high level inputs) to RCA connects allowing for use of every modern amp and its rca connections. If you aren't very confident in your skills to splice in a line level converter than let someone else do it.

Btw, here is what it looks like.

http://cardiscountstereos.com/Images_For_Catalog/LN60.jpg

Most like the one pictured also have adjustable gains just like your amp, personally I'd leave them at most at 50%.

Good luck!

Danger DANJ
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I replaced my stock speakers and I bought the Infinity Basslink years ago. I must say that I was impressed with the Basslink. I got it on ebay for $200 shipped and it's still going strong. I definitely recommend it for some extra bass. I also bought some Monster cables to hook it up to my head unit.

01blackG
02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Do you have an aftermarket radio or factory radio?

WhiteGTZ01
02-22-2007, 06:00 AM
if you want something not too loud but thumps i would look for a powered sub

EarthQuake makes a reall good one

esogalant
04-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I replaced my stock speakers and I bought the Infinity Basslink years ago. I must say that I was impressed with the Basslink. I got it on ebay for $200 shipped and it's still going strong. I definitely recommend it for some extra bass. I also bought some Monster cables to hook it up to my head unit.

Question man! How did you and where did you mount your basslink. I just got one installed just not sure how and where to mount this thing. I dont want it to be sliding and banging around.