PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

WhiteGTZ01
02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey guys ive been looking on here for a wile but i couldnt find anything in the search about an after market alternator or one with a higher wattage..
Do they even make them for the 8G

Jeffylou87
02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
It's best not to go aftermarket.... I got screwed like that once.. If your doing it to get good wattage for your sound system then get a capacitor... they have good cheap ones on ebay for like 60 bucks... I got a 3 farad cap from power akoustik for like 80 on ebay and it works like a miracle...

Prophet
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey guys ive been looking on here for a wile but i couldnt find anything in the search about an after market alternator or one with a higher wattage..
Do they even make them for the 8G

Only place I would get my HO alty from...

2001 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L

“Dominator” Series
180 amp / 90 amp idle $279.00
200 amp / 80 amp idle $299.00

Comes with 90 day warranty, add Lifetime warranty & Exchange program for $99.00.

“Amputator” Series
180 amp / 120 amp idle $369.00
200 amp / 110 amp idle $389.00

Comes with one year warranty, add Lifetime warranty & Exchange program for $99.00.

Let us know which alternator and/or warranties along with your zip code for a total including shipping.

Thanks, Iraggi Alternator

You can find them on eBay....

By the way stay away from caps... there useless.... upgrade your alty first before even thinking about getting a cap and if you decide to go with a cap look for a bat cap....

00GalantMan
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
You could go to a reputable shop and get them to beef up your stock alternator. There's a couple of shop's around here that do that. It's cheaper than buying on off of eBay, but unless you have another way around while the shop's got it, you're going to have down time until you get it back...

01blackG
02-15-2007, 10:33 PM
What do you need a HO alt. for anyways? Knowing the application would help for the best reply.

WhiteGTZ01
02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks, wat do you guiys think about the optima battery for the trunk with the new system ii plan on getting i need a bigger alternater or atleast an 8 farrid cap.

Would it be easier to get a second battery

01blackG
02-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Unless your planning on going with an over kill professional car system, use a cap, It wont play on your electrical system. Ive heard of to many people using extra batteries and then they just start to have more electrical problems. Its just better to play it safe at first. Then if the cap doesnt work out good then start to look in to other options. Not to put the battery down, the optima bettery is the one that caused the problems for them all.

WhiteGTZ01
02-16-2007, 06:10 AM
i heard some people loved them and some hate them, im planing on getting 2 12" cadence tripple X and bigger amp to power them, my friend told me toget a bigger alternater, get a big cap liek a 8 farid or get a 2nd battery.

Thanks man youve been a big help :D

RedGalant2k1
02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
i heard some people loved them and some hate them, im planing on getting 2 12" cadence tripple X and bigger amp to power them, my friend told me toget a bigger alternater, get a big cap liek a 8 farid or get a 2nd battery.

Thanks man youve been a big help :D

I would use the HO alternator as a last resort. Most peoples systems don't run nearly enough power consistently to warrant the use of a HO alternator. Now if your amp pulls 100amps and you are in sound competitions you'll probably benefit from the HO alty.

Personally I'd run a capacitor before a second battery or HO alternator. Its a lot easier to install than a battery and can still let most people use their factory alternator.

WhiteGTZ01
02-16-2007, 04:56 PM
alright man sounds good thanks

galant2k0
03-26-2007, 10:24 PM
People were probably having problems with two batteries because, they didn't isolate the battery in the trunk properly from the one up front. A battery isolater only allows the spare battery to charge from the one in the front, it does not allow the car to take power from the secondary battery. I used a Hight Current alternator in my old boss's cavalier and it worked great.

He was running two 1000 watt rockford phosgate mono amps and one 600 watt alpine 4 channel. one phosgate was for 2 10" Xtant subs, and the other was for the 2 12" Xtant subs. the 4 channel was running four soundstream components with 4 extra boston acoustic tweeters. with a 5 farad cap in the back. When his subs would hit his car would drop down to 9 volts and his car would almost stall. We put in a High Current alternator and it hits twice as hard and only drops to 11.6 volts BTW he was hitting 172db [/url]

WhiteGTZ01
03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
172 damnnn the record i think is 185...my friend has cadence ud's and he wa htiing low 150's and this other kid has 4 cadence supper tripple x's hitting around 160

RedGalant2k1
03-27-2007, 12:25 AM
People were probably having problems with two batteries because, they didn't isolate the battery in the trunk properly from the one up front. A battery isolater only allows the spare battery to charge from the one in the front, it does not allow the car to take power from the secondary battery. I used a Hight Current alternator in my old boss's cavalier and it worked great.

Even with a battery isolater its much more difficult an install not to mention drains your stock alternator like crazy. If you have a large enough system you need two batteries you also need a HO alternator.

He was running two 1000 watt rockford phosgate mono amps and one 600 watt alpine 4 channel. one phosgate was for 2 10" Xtant subs, and the other was for the 2 12" Xtant subs. the 4 channel was running four soundstream components with 4 extra boston acoustic tweeters. with a 5 farad cap in the back. When his subs would hit his car would drop down to 9 volts and his car would almost stall. We put in a High Current alternator and it hits twice as hard and only drops to 11.6 volts BTW he was hitting 172db [/url]

Well thats why he was pulling his car down to 9 volts. The last Rockford BD 1000 I knew pulled at least 80 amps. Times that by two plus another amp on top of that you thats major amperage drain.

Btw, I doubt that car hit 172 dB.

galant2k0
03-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Sorry i meant to type 162db not 172 my fault :shock:

mindwerkz
03-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Worth noting that if you get an alternator that's going to be pushing out over 15volts, I understand that can cause some batteries to emit hydrogen gas. And I'm no chemist but that seems like something you wouldn't want wafting out of something that could make a spark.

Double check that though. I am to electricians as Forest Gump is to astrophysicists. The neighbors that saw me replacing my battery realized this tonight when they saw a shower of sparks accompanied by a girlish scream and a bolt flying out of my garage.

BIGMONEYDAY
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Worth noting that if you get an alternator that's going to be pushing out over 15volts, I understand that can cause some batteries to emit hydrogen gas. And I'm no chemist but that seems like something you wouldn't want wafting out of something that could make a spark.

Well I'm a chemist, and I can tell you batteries can and do emit explosive gases. That's why they are mounted under the hood on most cars and or vented to the outside if mounted in the trunk. If you have a sealed battery or gel cell battery, like Optimas, you don't have to worry about this too much, plus they can be mounted in many different ways without leaking. Also using an isolater is needed to keep strain off your stock alternator. Adding a 2nd battery does have it's benefits, but the major use of running a second battery is for those who play their high powered systems while the car is off. People have mixed review on caps. They are meant keep power in reserve for quick burst of power for the amps needed for sudden bass drops. Some people swear by them others curse them, so people would have to test them for themselves. Another options in something called a "Batcap" that are a hybrid of a capacitor and a battery. These are used primarily by those who compete with large systems for "burping" and SPL contest. Do a search on the net of them and read up on them to see if that sounds like something that would be useful for you. But when it comes to most audio systems, once you start upgrading you car with high powered stereo and other electrical items it does put a severe drain on your car's alternator, so an upgrade their will always be beneficial if you can afford it. Also remember to always use proper size wire when doing your installs.