PDA

View Full Version : Header Design Theory/Talk

J53113
02-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Alright... well lets start out w/ me saying i'm a Honda guy... blah blah blah... i'm here to help my friend get the best amount of performance out of his car/motor as he can...

now onto the headers... for the most part, i have seen the header design for the galant & eclipse be a 4-1 design... i have been searching for a nice header for him, & the only one that really catches my eye would be this one...
http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=108&category_id=57&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

now how come many companies only make the 4-1 design, why not a 4-2-1? i know the galants have 2 o2 sensors, but this shouldn't limit the design of the header.... any one have any imput?

J53113
02-16-2007, 08:01 PM
nobody has anything to add?....

well i was searching around & all i could find are the header types and what they do... i found out that the 4-1 design offers more overall hp & is better for higher RPM.... on the other hand the 4-2-1 offers a disgn for more torque and better mid range gains.... all i have found in a 4-2-1 design was for a 3g eclipse from dc sports... their 4-2-1 race headers...
http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=431
but would it have the o2 sensor bungs?...

anyone have any comments?

DNSerrano
02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Either RPW or CMFabrications can provide you with "longtube" headers. They supposedly improve the car with 15 to 20 hp and add a little more torque. I am trying to save up for CMF. Also 4-1 provides better flow for our Galants. It's a straight through design being able to push more exhaust air out than 4-2-1

qnz
02-16-2007, 09:35 PM
you are right. 4-2-1 adds more power to the middle of the power band. torque and some hp which is better for the street. 4-1 will add more hp at the top end but will most likey sacrifice torque. the different types also sound different.

i would get the dc sports header as they are the only big name company who makes a header for the galant/eclipse and is the best design.

J53113
02-17-2007, 12:18 AM
you see... now i am glad that gnz wrote that... now you say the 4-1 will add more hp at the top end... i have been im my budies galant, & he has never taken the car past 6k... so we streatched her legs & as i was watching the tach, i noticed that the car pretty much lost steam at 5.5k rpm& was a waste of time above that or even atleast 6k...

& in the terms of racing, say u have 2 galant owners mod their cars.... lets say 8G owner A has the normal turbo set up and has about 300hp & about 200ft-lbs & then 8G B has 275hp & 250ft-lbs all motor.... i would think that the 8G B owner would get to the line first... no?i mean u can have all the hp in the world, but if you dont have the torque to get u going your dead in the water

6G72gearhead
02-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Your wrong on that unless theres a difference in area under curve, the higher horse g would win. Torque is how much work can be done and horsepower is how fast it can be done. So given the same gearing the higher hp car will win.

I'd say go with the RPW headers, buy them through tearstone (www.tearstone.com). They are of very high quality, and designed for that engine.

J53113
02-17-2007, 01:09 AM
see, now the 8G A can do the work faster, but 8G B can do even more work.... + the only way to REALLY prove this would be calculations or having it really happen

qnz
02-17-2007, 12:40 PM
you silly honda boys and your high rpms. yes, higher hp will get to the line quicker but how often on the street do you need to get into 4th gear. there was a video here somewhere of stewi vs a wrx or somthing. the wrx got off to a big lead but then when the turbo finally kicked in, stewi blew past the wrx.

for driving on the street, torque will be more practical.

J53113
02-17-2007, 01:54 PM
ok so why are u calling me a silly honda boy while i say more torque is better... i am siding w/ u....

Proto
02-17-2007, 02:15 PM
For a Mitsu 4cyl, 4 to one is better plain and simple.

ok so why are u calling me a silly honda boy while i say more torque is better... i am siding w/ u....

Alot of Mitsubishi people don't like Honda drivers :lol:

8G_GTZ
02-17-2007, 02:49 PM
as the honda dudes dislike the dsm's. I hear it all the time at our local meets. "oh a dsm made it here with out a flatbed." HAHA fucknuts. screw the headers man, talk him into buying turbo parts over the next year and put that on and shut up.

btw, why are you on here and not your friend that actually owns the galant?

J53113
02-17-2007, 11:19 PM
stereoti[ical are we? hahaha... no... i give credit where credit is due... i'm not a fag bag like alot of guys on honda-tech... as for a turbo, that alot of work & time to save up.... headers are much more cheaper than a whole turbo kit... right now he's just looking for some more go which is totally reasonable no?

he is also on here... but i know more or alot more about cars than he does, so i am trying to find out more info about as much as i can to help him. also i do alot if not most of the work on his car... the more info i receive, the better the out come is. are you still going to crack on me?
as of now, we are trying to put his new megan exhaust onto his car, but the bolts at the cat are holding us up & we hare having to drill them out...
u cant hate on someone for wanting to know more can you?....

& how is the 4-1 better than the dc 4-2-1? u say its better hands down, but where's your written proof? one says 4-2-1 & another says 4-1

dont hate the playa, hate the game.

lonestar22
02-17-2007, 11:30 PM
cant rag on the guy he has his points. i dont take sides with hondas or dsms becasue ive seen what both have potential of doing. i hate toyotas but thats just me. toyotas suck. we all have our points to make but theres no reason in making this a honda vs. mitsu topic

J53113
02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
cant rag on the guy he has his points. i dont take sides with hondas or dsms becasue ive seen what both have potential of doing. i hate toyotas but thats just me. toyotas suck. we all have our points to make but theres no reason in making this a honda vs. mitsu topic

very true... lets TRY to keep w/ the topic.... cuz i am intrested in this... for an all motor car... that is as of now...

xcman1206
02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
btw, why are you on here and not your friend that actually owns the galant?

sup. i'm the one that j53113 is talkin about. i'm "run1206" in www.galantforums.com, most of the time i'm there. i own a 2002 Mit. Galant DE 4cyl. with CAI and currently installin my Megan exhaust.

talk him into buying turbo parts over the next year and put that on

i'm thinking about puttin a 16g in later on in the summer or during the fall, gotta save up money for a kit and pipes. was also trying to find out if anyone had a supercharged i4 as well, but that's besides the point.

i'm gonna get a header for my 8g next, trying to find which header is best for me, 4-1...or 4-2-1 :?

qnz
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
here is some light reading

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/9912scc_intake_exhaust_systems/

you should know how car car works before you try to mod it. i mean, anyone can say, "buy this cuz this is the best" but if you dont know why its the best, is it REALLY the best?

why get a header if yur gonna go turbo, you wont be able to use it after you get a turbo

xcman1206
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
why get a header if yur gonna go turbo, you wont be able to use it after you get a turbo

very true, which is why i'm trying to decide which is better for me i'm down for gettin more power for now (headers) , but i can just save up until i have enough (turbo). plus i'm also wondering if i do go with the header mod, can i use it with a supercharger, or do i need a new setup for the supercharger as well? :?

shiznit013
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Headers are pretty much a requirement for going super charged. There's no point in forcing all of that air in there if you can't extract it.

mindwerkz
03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
RIPP makes some decent headers I understand. They seem to be backing off the support for 8G Galants but they DO make a supercharger kit for it and they suggest you use their headers with it.

n3oAcid24
03-02-2007, 04:04 PM
i am also looking into buying some headers for my I4. i read that the DC Sports headers eliminate the Catalytic Converter. now, is this true? i live in Chicago and its illegal to drive without the Catalytic Converter here. what about the RPW headers? do they eliminate the Catalytic Converter?

n3oAcid24
03-02-2007, 04:21 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh forget it... i got my answer. DC Sports eliminates the Cat. Cov. but cost $400 and RPW leaves the Cat. Cov. but cost $550..... damn. well im guessing i am going to have to go with RPW design since im not going to want to be taking them off and on for emission test and stuff.

n3oAcid24
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
sorry. messed up.

RedGalant2k1
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
A 4-1 longtube header is the most effective method of header design. That is used on hotrods and imports alike.

4-2-1 typically lose bottom end performance not to mention take up quite a bit more space. Thats another reason 4-2-1s aren't used on most imports or hotrods.

qnz
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
A 4-1 longtube header is the most effective method of header design. That is used on hotrods and imports alike.

4-2-1 typically lose bottom end performance not to mention take up quite a bit more space. Thats another reason 4-2-1s aren't used on most imports or hotrods.

i beg to differ. the reason why most headers are 4-1 are because theyre cheaper to make. seriously, read this

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/9912scc_intake_exhaust_systems/