PDA

View Full Version : [b]My car won't start![/b]

Golden Child
11-23-2002, 06:37 PM
I was driving down the expressway when my car suddenly jerked then lost power and just died. It wouldn't start after that. There were no warning signs. I had someone look at it and they said it was the fuel pump. I go get a new one installed and the same thing as before. The car will turn over but won't start. The fuel pump wonn't come on so therefore no fuel is getting to the engine. What else could it be? :? :cry: [/b]

cantbeatmy97
11-23-2002, 07:22 PM
if its fuel related the injectors could be cloddged or the fuel rails is u can tell if the fuel pump is workin turn the key in the on position and listen to see if u hear a sound if u dont it could be the pump or the relay.

manybrews
11-23-2002, 09:34 PM
what year is it?

there are only 2 real common failures.
one is that the timing belt has broken. this would of course give you no fuel and no spark, but would also severly damage the cylinder head in the process.
hopefully thats not it.

the other common failure (usually only on 94s and 95s, but a few 96s got it too) was a failed distributor. the coil actually cracked inside the distributor, and would arc to the housing. the ONLY way to fix this was replace the assembly.
either way, it should be checked by someone who knows cars. i would have to say whomever looked at it for you was not to smart about the current state of automotive tech.

4G64
11-23-2002, 10:28 PM
I have a 95S.. this happened to me this February...... one morning my car just refuse the start.. and it was the distributor......... but if I were you.. I were check the distributor cap and rotor... as well as wall your ignition wires and stuff.... and then try to start it.. when the engine turns over.. run to your muffler.. see if u can smell fuel mixture coming out of it... also.. once u try to start the engine..... take out the spark plug.. usually you can either smell or see some fuel left over on it... this just proves that your fuel system is working and it is not getting spark... if u really wanna find out... (warning.. not recommended unless you really know what u r doing".. take out one of the spark plug.. plug into the igniton wire and then start the car.. ...... see if spark come out of the plug.... make sure the spark plug is in contact with metal parts..... my friend who is a mechanic tried that on my car.. and there were no spark at all.....

most likely it is the distributor.... it is cheap either.. but if you have to get it replaced.. check some aftermarket ones.. like MSD or Crane... I remember one of them made one for our car..... it should improve the ignition system a bit... being it is a stronger spark and u can run external coil on it as well... might as well do it the right way.... if u don't want aftermarket ones then just replace it with OEM.. but make sure the shop actually order and install a new one in it... the shop I went to charge me for a new one but when I got the car.. the distributor has couple letters stamped on it "REMAN"..... and I was pissed so I make them refund me money... just be careful most shops are pretty sneaky.....

Golden Child
11-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Okay where is the relay for the fuel pump. There is nothing labeled or even mentions fuel pump in the owners manual. Also where can I get a service manual from? By the way it is a 96S.

2True
11-24-2002, 07:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Golden Child)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay where is the relay for the fuel pump. There is nothing labeled or even mentions fuel pump in the owners manual. Also where can I get a service manual from? By the way it is a 96S.</div>

Pretty sure it is under the backseat cushion on the passenger side. I have a 98 so I'm not positive... should be a WHITE connector once you remove the cover over it. Take the back seat cushion out and you'll see what I mean, use the pull clips between the floorboard and the cushion to remove the seat.

Chilton's is what I use... got it at AutoZone *yay*