PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor Failure

silver2k2
11-24-2002, 11:20 AM
I've been having idling problems with my car. I had the OBD code ran and it said it was an O2 sensor failure anyone know if this is hard to fix and if that's the reason my car keeps cutting out when I'm at a light or backing up.

manybrews
11-24-2002, 11:40 AM
it depends on which O2 sensor it is.
its either got 2 or 4, depending on the model.
if its a rear O2 sensor, then no, it cant effect the performance. the rear sensors are just there to monitor the catalytic converters.
if its a front sensor, it can definatly effect the performance, but it shouldnt be enough to cause idling issues.

have it checked out professionally.

TJC
11-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Did you have any exhaust systems put in like headers or downpipe or is it all stock and you're just started throwing the SES light?

ESdriver00
11-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Yo thats the same shit thats wrong with my car, I4, header. Its saying the first O2 sensor that is messed up, my car has almost no power when moving from a stop or backing up, my exhaust also makes a popping sound.

TJC
11-25-2002, 09:39 PM
You guys with headers, please get the second O2 sensor put in after the main catalytic converter. Buy the HFC that they sell with the bung in it after the cat, extend the wire, and install the O2 sensor properly. Throwing the SES light makes the car go into a default mode and runs like crap. If you're going to spend money on the header, spend a little more and get the HFC and install ALL O2 sensors. There is also a slight posibility that your car is too rich after installing headers and that in itself is throwing the SES light or by running super rich for a prolonged period of time you've damaged your cat.

Gizmo
11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Buy the HFC that they sell with the bung in it after the cat, extend the wire, and install the O2 sensor properly.

Hey TJC know of any sites that sell HFC with the O2 bung in them, thanks.

pinoyesv6
11-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Buy the HFC that they sell with the bung in it after the cat, extend the wire, and install the O2 sensor properly.

Hey TJC know of any sites that sell HFC with the O2 bung in them, thanks.

try vision imports

TJC
11-25-2002, 10:16 PM
First place you should check is the guys you got the headers from. If they make it, they will have the little section of DP along with the HFC so it becomes a complete bolt on solution that appends to your existing header. No cutting or welding required.

Uh..... sorry don't have an answer for you as I have the AMSS headers for the V6 that comes with the HFC and bungs and wire extensions. The other option is welding in an O2 sensor bung after the cat at a local shop. Even cat. manufacturer's don't sell cats with bungs in them; it's kind of specialized for your application.

Gizmo
11-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks Pinoy just checked it out and they have one for $135 a little too pricey but I guess its worth it.

ESdriver00
11-25-2002, 10:30 PM
I already got that with my header and had it put on at the same time.

flipz_ny79
12-12-2002, 07:04 PM
My car is a 7gen, but since not a lot of people put the RPW headers on their car yet, ill post some questions here. I installed the headers and after that my CEL keeps comming on. Everything seems like it was installed correctly. I didnt get the HFC since visionimports dont have them in yet. I also got my car scanned and showed 2 codes. They were both for my 2nd O2 sensor. O2 sensor circuit malfunction and O2 heater circuit malfuntion. Iam wondering if you peeps think if this is the same problem as the 8gen with their CEL comming on, and just moving the sensor behind the cat would fix it, Or something else. I wanna change my second O2 sensor also since I replaced the one in the front going into the header, does anyone know how to access the harness for it coz it goes up into the underbody of the car???