PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Glove Box Rattle/Gap Fix

shiznit013
02-23-2007, 09:02 PM
My car, like so many others on this forum, began rattling obnoxiously at idle. Maybe it was the polyurethane motor mounts, and perhaps it was just time. I tried the "bend it" fix described on club3g, but all it did was make it impossible to close my glovebox.

It seems that the weight of the glove box actually causes the plastic support that the hook mounts to to sag. The glovebox no longer mates with the rubber supports on the dash and starts to rattle.

The first thing I did was to remove that 8 lbs. metal plate in the glove box door. Hopefully that will stop the hook from sagging even more in the future.

Next, I removed the hook, put it in a vice grip, and hit it with the side of a chisel and a mallet. Be careful; the metal is very malleable. I went back and forth from the glovebox to the vice, test fitting it.

Eventually I bent the metal in so far, that the hook would hit the back of the glovebox before the latch could close. To fix this, I used a table grinder to take some metal off of the hook. I continued test fitting, until I eventually got a good fit.

Then, I took a dremel with a fine grinder and smoothed the hook out so that I wouldn't cut myself reaching into my glovebox. I added a little black paint, and the job was complete--no more gap, and no more rattle.

The finished product:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/shiznit013/DSCF0194.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/shiznit013/DSCF0193.jpg

pvu_rida
02-24-2007, 12:55 AM
pics of the box wit no gap????

lKoRTy
02-24-2007, 02:47 AM
pics of the process????

Kalamidad
02-24-2007, 08:48 AM
pics of the process????

yeah please. Although, if you didn't take them while you where doing it it's probably too late.

oh, and thanks for the heads up.

g-ridda
02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
awww man if i was chik id suck yo d*%k right now lol no homo great tutorial did it last night i must say it was perfect perfect perfect!!! everyone should do this with the glove problem.all i did was remove the lock and the latch got a hammer place the horizontal park ok the latch on the corner part of the curb(yes the curb on the street)or anything solid and TAPED it lightly and continued test fitting into the lock till i couldnt move the latch out of the lock up and down.no triming or anything.i removed the metal plate also i can not figure out why in the hell that thing is in there.hope this helps the tutorial no gap by the way

shiznit013
02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry guys, no pics of the process. I did this at my parents house on a whim; the camera was at my apt. I'll get some finished pics up next time I see daylight (probably this weekend).

shiznit013
03-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Fixored... Wish I had a before pic to show you, but you all probably have a fine example of the problem at home if you're reading this thread.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/shiznit013/DSCF0195.jpg

Jeffylou87
03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
ur my savior!

mindwerkz
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I love you and I'm doing this ASAP. If you all would like, I'll provide a before pic.

ricky_db
03-24-2007, 08:28 PM
great quick fix thanks

4-G-rim
03-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Good tutorial man! I will be doing this fix next weekend. My lady will be surely happy..because that glovebox rattle irritates her.

Cheekz185
03-25-2007, 03:21 PM
The first thing I did was to remove that 8 lbs. metal plate in the glove box door. Hopefully that will stop the hook from sagging even more in the future.

What 8lb metal plate are you talking about??

Gladiator
03-26-2007, 01:49 AM

What 8lb metal plate are you talking about??

its a big metal plate that is 'inside' your glovebox door. you have to take it out, unfasten all the screws and you'll the a huge heavy metal plating

4-G-rim
04-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Did this fix last weekend and it fixed the problem. Removing that glove box plate makes a huge weight difference too. Great tutorial!

low sittin 8g
04-07-2007, 05:14 PM
sweet

Russdogs
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
my glove compartment actually broke because of all the weight, so i cant open the glove compartment now, does anyone know where i can get a replacement glove compartment, already went to salvage yrd and this is the second one that has broken on me...

boochieboy
03-25-2009, 04:13 AM
its a big metal plate that is 'inside' your glovebox door. you have to take it out, unfasten all the screws and you'll the a huge heavy metal plating

First time a friend of mine got in my car, I told him to get in the glove box to get something for me, he pulled the latch and that heavy shit slammed down HARD! I thought he broke it right off the hinges. I never knew why the hell the glove box weighed so much......my mom's car's glovebox is one finger open and close. And I never knew you could take that weight out. Even if you don't care how heavy the glovebox is,,,,it's really good to know if you're looking for weight savings. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...8lbs. GONE!

Asierra_999
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
my glove compartment actually broke because of all the weight, so i cant open the glove compartment now, does anyone know where i can get a replacement glove compartment, already went to salvage yrd and this is the second one that has broken on me...

Are you still looking for a glovebox??? Ill sell my spare for 20$$ + shipping?!

boochieboy
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I just did this today. BEST free and beneficial mod EVER!!!! Took like 10 minutes, and all you need is a philips screwdriver and a T20 torx bit.
Here's pics of the metal plate you will be removing:
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/boochieboy/0326092023.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/boochieboy/0326092024.jpg
Just be sure to not overtighten the screws when you put it back together or the plastic may bend or crack. Thanks Shiznit013 so much for this info!

EDIT: I think that metal plate has something to do with protection from the passenger airbag, but oh well if it does,,,,there are plenty of cars w/passenger airbags and no 8 lb. armor protection in their glove boxes.

Russdogs
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
yea im still looking for one, what color interior is your g?

krow
03-29-2009, 05:35 PM
This thread is so simple but is really helpful. Thanks.

krow
03-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Just took mine out and adjusted the glove box. What was the purpose for the metal plate?

therev
03-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Boochieboy previously stated that he thought that the metal plate has something to do with protecting the airbag. an 8 pound metal slab seems like a nice protective shield

~Gabe

boochieboy
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Boochieboy previously stated that he thought that the metal plate has something to do with protecting the airbag. an 8 pound metal slab seems like a nice protective shield

~Gabe

Yeah, I just took a guess that it might have been to protect the passenger from the airbag maybe deploying accidentally out of the glove box instead of on top the dash........that was just a guess though.

keith6110
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
This deserves a bump. The rattle doesn't bother me as much as the door just not lining up.

tamim13
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
For some reason, I've done all of this in the thread, but in winter the rattle always comes back fiercely. I've driven taking my glove box out but it still comes, so the rattle in my car is pretty much from the dash and not the glove box per say.

beam514
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
For some reason, I've done all of this in the thread, but in winter the rattle always comes back fiercely. I've driven taking my glove box out but it still comes, so the rattle in my car is pretty much from the dash and not the glove box per say.

yeah there are so many things that rattle in my dash that I kinda just want to take the whole thing out lol

89bri
01-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Well lets just say I can't wait to start this tomorrow with that stupid metal plate. I mean seriously? No wonder people bitch when I hit them with the glove box...I almost feel bad about it now lol

yhkwok
02-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Just lose that 8lb. on my G, haven't even done the second half, and it is magically working! Yay

Sorry for digging this up :roll: