PDA

View Full Version : Reallly weird

Shadow19
02-25-2007, 09:27 PM
So i got around to putting the CAI i bought from proto on today.. I had to unplug the battery so i could install it. I get everything installed.. made sure nothing was loose or i forgot something. Started the car.. Perfect idle.. SO im like hell yea.. lets see what the CAI actually does.. I start off and suprisingly i did a decent burn out. I get down the road to turn around and the car starts acting like it wants to choke. I bring it back and look at it. MAS wasnt unplugged or anything. So reset the computer again and i take it for a longer drive id say 20 miles or so.. Come home.. Same shit.. So i put the stock airbox back on and same shit.. the car doesnt go above normal idle rpm's but it just kinda surges.. but the slightest tap on the gas it responds and doesnt want to choke itself. Im thinking that maybe (hopefully not) that one of the little tiny pieces of styrofoam peanuts is stuck in the TB or something. I checked to get them all out but you never know. Anyways.. I need some advice. Ive checked the MAS and its still good. I unplugged it and the car got worse on idle. The IAC there was no difference in idle when i unpluged it other than the RPM's didnt go as high as normal when i started the car. Im lost. right now ive completely unpluged the battery and im gonna try and start it in the morning.

Thanks,
Johnas

milo111000
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
ok once you started the engine, did you drive it right away or did you let it sit for a while for the ecu to catch it's breath??

seth98esT
02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I wouldnt think it would be possible to for one of the styrofoam pieces to get past the MAS screen. If there arent any CEL on or any loose wires on the MAS connector and if theres not any vacuum leaks between the MAS and TB, almost has to be something with the IAC. Id try cleaning the TB and see if it helps.

Shadow19
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
if i plug it up in the morning and its doing the same thing ill just rip the TB off and clean it really good...

milo111000
02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
good luck man!!!!

DOHCstunr
02-25-2007, 09:59 PM
you have a post mas air leak.
it will have nothing to do with your iac, nothing to do with anythign getting sucked in.

pics of your current setup as-is?

Shadow19
02-26-2007, 06:02 AM
you have a post mas air leak.
it will have nothing to do with your iac, nothing to do with anythign getting sucked in.

pics of your current setup as-is?

No pics. I did put the stock setup back in..... How is it possible for it not to work on either setup? It ran fine before the CAI..... Ill try to get pics up tonight.

mattalicslvr8g02
02-26-2007, 06:08 AM
No pics. I did put the stock setup back in..... How is it possible for it not to work on either setup? It ran fine before the CAI..... Ill try to get pics up tonight.

something happend to your mas inbetween taking off the stock box and putting on the cai

jake26
02-26-2007, 06:45 AM
i know what happened.....i just finally figuired it out... its not the mas nor the plugs. you said that u unhooked the battery right.. well if you unhook the battery then hook it back up even if its done for 5 seconds, the ecu will reset itself.. therefore you will idle really low!! it will seem like the engine was choking, same thing you've experienced. you have to drive for at least 15 min.. with periodic stops and cutting the engine off then cutting it back on... after say 2-3 cranks the idle goes back to normal.... trust me i know i had it happened to me after the tranny swap when my battery was unhooked for 2 days...and if you stall during the process dont be scared, crank it up again and drive. so now slap the CAI from proto back on and drive happy..

milo111000
02-26-2007, 06:55 AM
why doesn't anybody ever listen to me?!?!?!? hehehehehe.. always happen to me cause i usually go cai to short then back to cai... but normaly i would reset ecu then let it idle for 10 mins no a/c then another 10 mins with a/c... works like wonders after that.. had to learn the hard way.. actually my neighbors old integra has the same shit too.. replaced his whole intake and vacuum but idiot didn't let the car's ecu catch it's breath.. now it runs like a bitch and he doesn't know what the heck to do... of course it's a honda cuz so wtf would i bother telling him.. but good you got it fixed!!

jake26
02-26-2007, 07:06 AM
but good you got it fixed!!

well he didnt get it fixed yet...hes at work, but i called him and explained to him what to do... we had to trouble shoot everything, the first idea was the mas, then plugs, then when i actually read his post he said he unhooked the battery...so that will reset the ecu idling...its just has to run for 15-30 min, with occasional recrank.. i just remembered it when i swapped my tranny, my battery was unhooked for 2 days, and after hook up my idle was so low that i kept on stalling out for few first mins..

milo111000
02-26-2007, 07:14 AM
cool :wink:

Shadow19
02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Update... nothing has changed.. I let the computer reset itself over night.. started it up with the stock intake.. No change. So today i put the CAI back on and nothing changed. I let it idle for 15 minutes. drive it then let it idle for about 30 more minutes. I dont have a clue. Im at a loss. Now when im driving i notice that it jerks... What im thinking now is that the CAI was rubbing on the distributor cap. Maybe just MAYBE it cracked the cap and its causing it to run like shit OR seeing that everytime i do something to my car my distributor goes bad it could possibly be the problem. For now im gonna drive it and see if the computer levels itself out. I know when i pluged my EGR back in to get the CEL to go off it took like 500+ miles for the computer to notice it.... so maybe the computer is running like windows right now............................................... .......

DOHCstunr
02-26-2007, 09:55 PM
your ecu is fine.

Shadow19
02-27-2007, 05:47 AM
your ecu is fine.

What could be causing this?

Shadow19
02-27-2007, 05:04 PM
UPDATE!!! The car is fixed!!!!! The EGR valve is bad.. No CEL.. I figured it all out on my own.. Im so proud.. I unhooked it so in about 20 miles the CEL will be on..

mattalicslvr8g02
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
:smt038

jake26
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
:smt026 :smt041 :smt038

milo111000
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
did you get a new egr???? how much did it cost you.. thinking i gotta replace that one too..

Shadow19
02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
did you get a new egr???? how much did it cost you.. thinking i gotta replace that one too..

I unhooked it.... It will eventually throw a CEL.. But id much rather throw a CEL than deal with a fucked up idling car... Weird how unhooking it and it being bad and hooked up can change shit... I have a theory that might work. Im gonna try it soon.. If you dont have any wires to your EGR this may be helpful to u.. But i have to try it first before i start spitting shit out of the top of my head that im not sure works.

jake26
02-28-2007, 05:53 AM
make sure yiu get an egr valve from the dealer, i had to compare that a while ago, if you go to autozone or advanced they will sell u a 2 piece one, that can come apart, the oem from dealer is 1 piece..

frag_daddy_2007
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
if the egr valve is faulty and is stuck closed it wont affect your idle at all.
when mine went bad i just bolted a plate in place of it and i just ignore the CEL
it idles fine, damn thing doesnt do much anyway...