PDA

View Full Version : 3rd brake light

Armageddon Sunset
02-27-2007, 12:04 AM
2 things really. first off I got the 3rd brake light cover off and I've made a template of the red brake plastic, Im planning on covering that light but with the tri-star symbol so light will shine through it (due to the actual height of that light I think I might but a big one in the center and two smaller ones on either side of it) question is should I use the stock brake light or can I use an LED....which one would be brighter/ look better?

whokilledhoughes
02-27-2007, 12:05 AM
LED would be brighter....show pics when your done :)

mindwerkz
02-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Problem with the LED in the 3rd brake. it points the bulb down instead of back, thus most LED bulbs will be dimer unless the LEDs are all around the sides of the bulb housing or put mylar or something like that in there to reflect the LED light up and back.

Armageddon Sunset
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
ok so then the stock brake light is a 921 bulb, so them I need to find an 921 LED with the lights all around.....and I'll take pics as I work on it. right now all I have is a piece of cardboard cut out to that exact shape. then I'll draw the mitsu emblem, cut that out then transfer the whole design to the final material, which I think I'll use 1/8 piece of wood and I'll paint it black.

pinoyesv6
02-27-2007, 09:41 AM
autolumination has a 921 bulb http://autolumination.com/906.htm the first one on the list would work.

if you are keeping the red reflector, i'd go with a white led bulb. if you are not, then i'd go with the red led bulb.

quicksilver22
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
i've done this. just be aware that you need your film cover to be dark enough to keep other light out...

mindwerkz
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
That autolumination 921 would be perfect. In fact I think I need one myself....

And he's right about the color. white comes out brighter and still shows as red through the red plastic.

Armageddon Sunset
02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for that link, I was just going to wander around pepboys or autozone to see what they had. and I'm keeping the red plastic in for now so the tristar will still look red when the brakes arent on. I've got my template cut to fit so no light should shine through at unwanted places.....hopefully it turns out really nice when I finish it. my brake light bulb just burnt out the other day so its even a better time to do this.