PDA

View Full Version : Body kit issue

619 CUSTOMS
03-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Hey whats up everyone, so I got my kit(cyber II) in today, but it showed up with some cracks and small chips/blemishes. Shipping insurance is supposed to cover the damage, but is it going to be hard to fix the cracks? I plan on doin some of the work myself...I dont know if anyone has been in this situation? if so whats the best way to go about this? any tutorials or advice would be great...thanks....peace

SinSere
03-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm not a pro but I thought I'd chime in. My kit too arrived unwrapped and thrown in a box. Had several chips. Chips are easily filled and sanded. Cracks, depending on how big will have to be re-fiberglassed and then sanded back down. A crack will spread with vibrations. If its your first time using fiberglass, I would not suggest doing your kit as a learning experience. You should probably start more simple, but to each his own. Any decent body shop would be able to prep the pieces before fitting and painting. Your kit may have to be trimmed down a bit in places as well depending on the mold. good luck and enjoy.

Shadow19
03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Go to wal mart. Buy a fiberglass kit for like 12 bucks. Sand the back of the crack down a little bit. Cut 2 pieces of the fiberglass mat to cover the area pretty good. Mix the resin slap some resin on the bumper then slap one layer of mat then put another layer. If you have to add resin at this point then do so. For the cracks in had to repair in my kit the 2 layers were fine. Now while that shit is settling sand the front of the crack a little bit then use more resin to fill in the crack. Once it has dried sand down the resin that covers the crack and you are done. Its simple shit man. Good luck!!

blownoffvavle
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I was hoping I could deliver you one personally and guarantee you no cracks =)

SkylineG1
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I was hoping I could deliver you one personally and guarantee you no cracks =)

Do you still sell kits?

GaLaNtKeV99
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Go to wal mart. Buy a fiberglass kit for like 12 bucks. Sand the back of the crack down a little bit. Cut 2 pieces of the fiberglass mat to cover the area pretty good. Mix the resin slap some resin on the bumper then slap one layer of mat then put another layer. If you have to add resin at this point then do so. For the cracks in had to repair in my kit the 2 layers were fine. Now while that shit is settling sand the front of the crack a little bit then use more resin to fill in the crack. Once it has dried sand down the resin that covers the crack and you are done. Its simple shit man. Good luck!!

That was great advice i will try this during the summer on my cracked front, Thanks. 8)

ericbla03
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Anytime you have a crack in plastic, or fiberglass. The first thing you should do is drill a small hole (1/4'') hole at the very end of the crack. This will prevent the crack from getting worse.

Also to elaborate on what Shadow said, you will DEFINATELY need to rough up the area REALLY well with some 80 grit so the F/G will stick. But its also very important to widen the crack to about 1/8'' wide, essentially making it a long gap instead of a crack. A dremmel is perfect for this. I know it sounds drastic but beleive me, this is the only way to make sure that the crack wont reappear. Ive done it MANY times on factory bumpers, ABS, and fiberglass.

After you groove it out you can sandwich it with some F/G mat and resin like shadow said.

Good luck.