PDA

View Full Version : Gauge installation...

GalantPride09
08-13-2002, 08:11 PM
I was looking through the "how to" install gauges part of GC, and I saw they used Radio Shack "Tap-In Squeeze" connectors to connect the gauges to the dimmer control. Well I went to Radio Shack and didn't find the connectors. Does anybody know what else I can use instead?

GalantPride09
08-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Also could some one tell me the difficulty of the installation of the GDI reverse indiglo gauges? Thanks in advance.

Supernova
08-13-2002, 08:40 PM
I still haven't gotten any new guages. -.-

But I don't know what to save up for, new guages, or preformance mods...

T.S.
08-13-2002, 08:45 PM
I just installed mine 2 nights ago, it was pretty easy, the how-to wasnt working so I had to figure it out, but it pretty much explained itself once I got started on it. The only slight difficulty I had was getting the gas/temperature one carefully over both needles. but they both still work, so I couldnt have done too bad.

Radio shack normally has those connectors in 2 different sizes even, some are blue and some a red. I don't know what else I would recommend using.

pinoyesv6
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
i've installed 2 sets of indiglo gauges. one on my car and one on another members car. 30 mins tops job if you follow the directions. took me about 3 hours to do mine (i did mine the second time) but yea, i played around while installing the gauges on my car.

as for the tap in connectors, haha don't buy them. i bought them, installed them into my car and guess what, they didn't tap at all, didn't pierce the insulation all the way. so yea i got rid of those and just stuck the wires to the holes for the wires for the dimmer switch. much more reliable. a lil bit of wire ties or electrical tape and i was set.

o yea another tip with the screws, if you tighten them up too much u'll wreck the guages, so you tighten them til they are snug, then u back em off like a quarter or half a turn.

Fishboy55
08-15-2002, 08:01 AM
Yep, I did the same basic thing as Allan. Skipped the connectors and wired directly to the dimmer switch wires. And what Allan said about the screws is absolutley correct. The install is pretty easy and straight forward. Couple of things to watch for:
1) When removing the four gold screws that hold the bezel, use a magnetic screwdriver. If the screw drops in the steering column, it's lost forever.
2) After the gauges are in and screwed down, make sure all your needles move freely before screwing the bezel back in
3) Make sure you tap into the correct wire on the dimmer switch and be sure you connect the dimmer connector back up before you test the gauges, otherwise they won't work.
4) The color/ brightness switch connector is not idiot proof. If you hook it up and it doesn't work, reverse the connector. Some versions of the gauges had two red dots to match up. Mine didn't.

They're one of the best looking mods I have on my car. Even had a cop pull me over to admire them. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Good luck.

Chip

Bregorb
08-15-2002, 09:24 AM
Do u have to use the tap in squeeze

Fishboy55
08-15-2002, 09:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bregorb)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do u have to use the tap in squeeze</div>Nope. As Allan and I stated all you have to do is make sure you have a secure connection to the dimmer switch circuit. Use whatever method will provide that secure connection.

Chip

pinoyesv6
08-15-2002, 11:15 AM
1 more thing, when pluggin in the controller, make sure the power is off. or you're gonna get a nice tingly feeling and in my case a broken controller too

4G64T
08-16-2002, 10:37 PM
yah allen the lil green cover came off of mine and so now when i flip the turn signals my knuckle will rub up against it and ill get a lil shock lol i wakes me up tho lol