PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem with my rear brakes

fuel
03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, my '93 VX-R is making strange noises from the rear brakes. It started out as a groaning noise when creeping slowly in other forward or reverse, then progressed to the occasional high pitch squeeling noise when driving at normal speeds.

I thought it was a stone in one of my brakes to I jacked the car up and took both wheels off and inspected the pads and rotors but couldn't see anything obvious. I put the wheels back on and with the handbrake off I spun each wheel. The left hand side would spin freely but would make a scuffing noise once per rotation or thereabouts - as if there is a high point on the disc rotor or something. I tried the right hand side and it was exactly the same, except the scuffing noise on that side was a bit louder and if the wheel was going slow enough it would bring the wheel to a stop when it reached the 'high point'.

Is this normal? The disc rotors are in good condition with no scoring and no lip on the edge of them. The brake pads both have alot of meat left. There's no play in either of the rear wheels and there's no constant grumbling/groaning noise so I doubt it will be a wheel bearing too.

I'm pretty sure it still makes the noise if I lightly apply the brakes too, so not sure how that's related (my mechanic asked if it made the noise while braking lightly).

I don't want to go ahead and replace brake parts if they aren't the problem, especially the rotors as the VX-R is the only model with these rear rotors (260mm ventilated). The rest either have solid (or drums) and the VR-4 has 280mm ventilated. The VX-R is not a common model so parts like these will be hard to come by.

Cheers for any help

Goku
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
The rear brakes like to stick on out model Galants.... but by the sounds of it, your handbrake needs adjusting to start with, then a light machining of the disc...

If the problem is still occuring, try replacing the brake pads.... weird things can make the noise for no reason at all. Otherwise, go to x-drilled and slotted discs :P

gtx
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
As said above, the "scuffing" you hear is your shoes rubbing on the rotors from inside, try to adjust the handbrake and go from there.

fuel
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
How would I go about adjusting the handbrake?

Is this something which can be done with the cable at the centre console or is it something which I need to take the rotor off for?

Cheers.

Goku
03-06-2007, 05:45 PM
They have a drum in disc system on the rear, basically, you take the wheel off and there should be a little bung, remove that and adjust it with a flat head screwdriver

gtx
03-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, remove the rubber thing from the rotor, turn it into the 5 or 7 o'clock position, than you'll see the adjusting wheel, turn it up or down with a flathead to tighten or loosen the shoes.
Than you should remove the center console, and adjust the cable by the handle as well