PDA

View Full Version : Sub enclosure

racesnos
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I was wondering, and i'm sure this is going to be a stupid question to ask, but what effects do different enclosures have on the sound of the subs? i am mainly for the overall fullness of bass in the car, but at times, i would like to have the bass projected outside the car, when necessary. my buddy has an RSX with 2 10's and it projects like theres no tomorrow. i know its a hatch back, but is that all that matters? openess in the car?

WhiteGTZ01
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
hatches r brtter for sound but subs sound goon in the g's. for a sub box get a slot ported the ones that look liek they have a vent or somting they are the best for sound i think, i have slot ported for my cadence tx and it sounds really good

SinSere
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
All depends on space and subs. Ported boxes require more space than sealed. Sealed boxes are best known for their all around sound at all low frequencies. Ported boxes will hit harder on rap/r&b for sure. Lots of things determine what box and sub is best for each person. hatchbacks really do make that much of a difference. I had 2-12" RF in the G for a while. Practically took up the whole trunk but pounded hard. all a matter of taste.

racesnos
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
yeah i have a ported or vented box right now, and i am running a Lightining Audio 4 channel amp. should i maybe look into a Mono Sub amp? if so which brands? i was looking at an infinity 611a

fatal1
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
well the mono amp is more ideal for a subwoofer setup in general....but depending on the specs of the amp and the subs some people run 2 or more chanels, it all depends on the specs if you post them it may be a little more helpfull for you

01blackG
03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
If you ever plan on opening you trunk and playing the bass, the best box to get is a banpass box. Otherwise just stick to the specs of the subs. They should instructions usally tell the best application for the subs.

SinSere
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Honestly, bandpass boxes are the worst you can pick. Bandpasses are made for one thing, pounding bass. It is not a good choice for all around music/sound. Its for the lowest, deepest bass and thats it.

As far as the amp goes, it all depends on what sub you're using. Like I said, matching your sub and amp is important. You should not be using a 4-channel amp. A solid 2-channel is more ideal. A mono amp is good as well, but not completely necessary. Depends on if you plan to run 1 or 2 subs as well and at what power output on the amp.

Having a ported box correctly made is important too. Some subs like the round tubular ports at a certain length to sound optimal. Others as mentioned like to be a single slotted port at a specific length. There are lots of options and choices out there.

fatal1
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Honestly, bandpass boxes are the worst you can pick. Bandpasses are made for one thing, pounding bass. It is not a good choice for all around music/sound. Its for the lowest, deepest bass and thats it.

As far as the amp goes, it all depends on what sub you're using. Like I said, matching your sub and amp is important. You should not be using a 4-channel amp. A solid 2-channel is more ideal. A mono amp is good as well, but not completely necessary. Depends on if you plan to run 1 or 2 subs as well and at what power output on the amp.

Having a ported box correctly made is important too. Some subs like the round tubular ports at a certain length to sound optimal. Others as mentioned like to be a single slotted port at a specific length. There are lots of options and choices out there.

yep but depending on what your ohm loads are on the sub/ amp wattage etc

bmxmike
03-09-2007, 11:41 AM
On boxes if you just want to feel like the bass when it hits go with a sealed box. Sealed boxs are a great idea as they dont take up large amounts of space and produce all frequencies pretty well. I have a single 10' and have gone with sealed, ported, vented, bandpass and out of all the sealed was the best and i ran a rockford 325.2 with a bass controler and had the speaker bridged. And that thing hits hard most ppl dont delive that its a single 10. 2 of my friends have subs one 2 12' pionerrs in a vented with the same amp, the other 2 p1.12's rockfords with a alpine. And mine hits just as hard as there's. Though the p1's hit alot harder but p1's and p2's are some hard hiting subs.