PDA

View Full Version : What's the going price of a CAI?

glinx1
11-26-2002, 06:26 PM
I been wanting to add a CAI to my 8G. But everytime I look for one, they cost $200 and up. I have asked other people ,with different kinds of cars, what they paid for theirs. They usually tell me anything from $50 up to $125. Why is it cheaper for other makes of cars and not ours? And are these quotes on the Galant an average price or are they trying to rip me off? Also, I'm looking more for HP rather than sound. Would it be a wise choice to add a CAI? And is it true, you can't drive with a CAI in the rain? Someone told me you can't, cuz the water will go up into the engine. Thanks everyone... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

hsinya
11-26-2002, 07:56 PM
yes, brand name cai's such as aem and injen cost anywhere from 220 and up(i got my injen for 220). the msrp for those things are like $300+

if you dont really care about brand, i know theres some others out there for around $100 and less. do a search on this forum,(i forgot wut it was called...) i know ther are some people that bought the less expensive ones on ebay

also depending on cars, a cai can be more or lesse expensive depending on how much material is used. the aem and injen cai uses mandrel bent aluminum that goes from the firewall all the way down to the corner of the bumper

adding a cai would make the engine a tiny bit louder, also add some hp... theres a noticable sound and hp difference IMO but just a tiny bit, nothing big

yes, u can drive w/ a cai in the rain, but it depends where u are. it will not suck water into the engine unless u completely submerge the filter into water, which means you're ok unless u like to drive into floods or giant pools of water LOL (it has to be COMPLETELY SUBMERGED in water... splashes of water from rain or small puddles wont do any harm at all). if you're still worried about water, injen gives u a heatshield(which also protects from water, somewhat...) w/ their cai, or if u go w/ a different cai you can always find a universal fit shield

hope this helps!

Fastgalants
11-26-2002, 08:23 PM
ebay has AEM cold air intakes in the box for $199plus s&h each. they're for the 2000+ eclipse 2.4L 4cyl. but i'm pretty sure they fit galant 2.4L 4cyl. perfectly. just do a search in ebay motors and type AEM.

fastgalants https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

CliptheApex
11-26-2002, 08:45 PM
mine didnt fit "perfectly", where i was supposed to bolt it on on the engine block didnt match up, but it did on the wheel well. weird.

mrjaydeeone
11-26-2002, 09:24 PM
or you can get the cp one on ebay it goes for around $85
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=1873192804 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873192804')

just do a search for eclipse intake on ebay

BlueESV6
11-26-2002, 09:29 PM
The AEM's on ebay are not really much cheaper when you factor in the $25 shipping... I think wholesalehyperformance.com has them for about $10 more that that (around 219 I think)...

Do the ebay ones rust? I was reading about the clamps rusting? etc...

pinoyesv6
11-26-2002, 10:39 PM
if you are looking for an injen, look at the group buy. if you are looking for an aem, look to adventon.com and if you are looking for something cheap (in price) look to ebay for teh cp intakes

glinx1
11-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. I really learned a lot. But a few other questions. I'm not looking to spend too much money on this, so I guess the cp would be the way to go. But is there a performance difference between the CP and an Injen or AEM? Also, I looked at the CP on Ebay (thanks for the link), it says it's for the Eclipse V6. Will this still fit on my 2000 Galant ES 4 cyl? Thanks again guys

pinoyesv6
11-27-2002, 02:03 PM
aem allows use of a bypass valve...the injen is pretty and well the cp is just str8 up plain. not a bad thing. uhm the cp has a metal mesh filter which is good. the aem and the injen both utilize k&n filters. pefroamnce wise, their gonna be pretty much the same, if any difference it should just be fractional.

as for the v6, there should be one for the i4 but the one for the v6 should fit on your car, you just can't use some fo the v6 mounting points...