PDA

View Full Version : upper/lower Radiator support

g-ridda
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
i want to replace my upper support because of a past accident i was wondering if anyone has done this on there own if so was it hard?anything i need to watch out for or do to make it easier for me and does anyone kno if it is welded on anywere??

milo111000
03-14-2007, 05:37 AM
upper support is screwed on.. lower i believe is welded... my radiator broke and i replaced it with a temp one.. just fabricated a piece of metal and drilled a whole for the screws and for the radiator.. i don't have pics of em' but they quite simple..

g-ridda
03-15-2007, 12:56 AM
koo,do i have to remove the hoses and the radiator completely or is it possible to prop the radiator up? i wont even need to replace the lower support jus the upper.

Ed
03-15-2007, 03:00 AM
koo,do i have to remove the hoses and the radiator completely or is it possible to prop the radiator up? i wont even need to replace the lower support jus the upper.

No you don't...there are four(14mm) bolts that connect the supports to the car. Just take those off and the supports come off too.

Stewi
03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
upper support is screwed on.. lower i believe is welded... my radiator broke and i replaced it with a temp one.. just fabricated a piece of metal and drilled a whole for the screws and for the radiator.. i don't have pics of em' but they quite simple..

I dont think he is talking about the actual brackets that hold the radiator, I think he is talking about what the mitsu manual calls the radiator support, which is the actual metal frame that is welded to the upper rails (underneath the fenders) and welded tot he main frame rails too. If your just talking about the brackets that bolt on up top, those are just brackets, not the "radiator support"

milo111000
03-16-2007, 07:45 PM
oops... then what upper support is he talking about????

g-ridda
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
im refering to the frame were the headlights and grill are screwd and clipped on to."metal piece"

SkylineG1
03-17-2007, 01:06 PM
im refering to the frame were the headlights and grill are screwd and clipped on to."metal piece"

It's the radiator support of which Stewi speaks you need.

Stewi
03-17-2007, 01:26 PM

It's the radiator support of which Stewi speaks you need.

Yes, and its also not something you should be messing with changing yourself and this is why. The entire alignment of the grille, headlights, hood, bumper and fenders rely on that thing being put on PERFECT. Its a welded on piece, not something you want to tackle yourself without experience. The cost of the part and labor for a body shop to install it will probably run you about $700. Thats assuming your having them replace it with a genuine mitsu support, you can probably get it done for about $450 if you used an aftermarket support, but I highly recommend going OEM due to the role this part plays with alignment of virtually everything else.

Qs
03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
stewi is right, when i bought my car totaled, i had to replace the radiator support and to realigne the frame

most of the support is to be welded ONLY after all the mesurements for the frame are correct, otherwise the vehicule will be ...well not too sure on this but it wont be aligned by the factory settings anymore and u might get a weakness in the frame because of it

if i remember correctly a brand new radiator support costed me about 300 bucks at dealers,

and u do need to remove the rad and AC cooler

its basically the skeleton for the front ,