PDA

View Full Version : manybrews: tuning the Galant

TJC
11-27-2002, 08:01 PM
Nothing looks like it's adjusted manually anymore and any type of tuning always refers to plugin tools like the MB991502 (MUT-II) in the service manual. Besides getting readings does this thing actually allow you to make adjustments to the car? Also is this a generic tool meaning I can get other decent OBD-II scan tools that will work like the factory one. Thanks.

manybrews
11-28-2002, 12:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nothing looks like it's adjusted manually anymore and any type of tuning always refers to plugin tools like the MB991502 (MUT-II) in the service manual. Besides getting readings does this thing actually allow you to make adjustments to the car? Also is this a generic tool meaning I can get other decent OBD-II scan tools that will work like the factory one. Thanks.</div>
theres nothing you can adjust, period.
the basic idle speed (which is still controlled by the pcm.. you just set a case for it), and the TPS (which never needs to be changed unless someone screws with it, or it breaks).

thats it.
all you do with the MUT is communicate. However, a generic scan tool will NOT show you everything that is available. it only shows you what the government says everyone has to know for emmisions purposes.
seriously, its not of much use unless youre repairing something. the baud rate isnt really fast enough to watch live data accuratly enough to tune the mixture or anything like that.

TJC
11-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Thanks. Looks to be a great tool for diagnostics but cost too much to justify that and not much use otherwise. How about timing though; what's the process involved?

manybrews
11-28-2002, 10:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks. Looks to be a great tool for diagnostics but cost too much to justify that and not much use otherwise. How about timing though; what's the process involved?</div>
cant adjust it.
completely computer controlled. has been since 96. even on the cars with distributors, it was unadjustable as the distributors only had one position.

TJC
11-28-2002, 12:08 PM
So would I be correct to say our cars are constantly self adjusting to correct just about everything like idle speed and timing and all these tools is just to make sure that the computer on the car IS doing it's job correctly.

manybrews
11-28-2002, 11:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>So would I be correct to say our cars are constantly self adjusting to correct just about everything like idle speed and timing and all these tools is just to make sure that the computer on the car IS doing it's job correctly.</div>
yep.

the timing is preset and always changing, and usually pretty much at the best setting for whatever conditions youre under. the idle shoots for 750 during a warm idle, and these tools are just that.. tools.

Fishboy55
11-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Good discussion guys. Thanks for the answer manybrews. I've asked the same good question, Gordon and gotten the same answer. Our computers are really sophisticated for a US product. As long as Autozone is closeby and pulling free codes, and as long as the board is up I've got all the free resources I need.

Thanks,
Chip