PDA

View Full Version : Fuel not getting to motor. Help

mikew
03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I just put a new fuel pump in my 89 sohc and yet gas is still not getting to the motor. I have no clue what else to do. I could use some help.

4-G-rim
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I just put a new fuel pump in my 89 sohc and yet gas is still not getting to the motor. I have no clue what else to do. I could use some help.

Not sure if its the same on the regular 6g's..but there is a fuel pump manual diagnostic method. There should be a 2 wire plug on the fireway near the brake booster area. You get some wire and ground it to the ground terminal and listen if the fuel pump is turning on. I will post the picture from the service manual when I get home tonight. I would do this step first..this will determine of the fuel pump is working.

Did you make sure all electrical connections are secure and/or connected?

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Its possible your MPI fuel relay may of gone bad. Get a spare working one and replace it and see the results.

Your fuel pump relay may of gone bad too...on the GVR4's its located on in the truck right under the trunk lik striker latch area. Not sure if its the same on the regular 6g's.

mikew
03-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks i'll check all that out.

Proud Galant Driver
03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I had a similar problem with my g. Thought it was the fuel pump but it turned out it was really the computer stopping it from starting.

Do you know if your fuel pump is sending fuel? Take the cap off and have someone put their ear by the gas flap. Turn the the key and they should be able to hear the pump flip on.

mikew
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and nothing is coming out when I turn the key on.

manybrews
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
the pump will NOT flow when the key is turned on.
it ONLY pumps when the engine is at 150 RPM or greater.

you probably have a failed ECM. Check the capacitors.

mikew
04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Ok so i found a clog in my fuel lines because i can pull line off from where it connects to the pump and its pumping but still not going to the rail. So the clog is pretty much in the hard line under the car. Does anyone know a good way to clear it without removing the line or replacing it?

I have already tried to blow it out with an air compressor but its just not doing the job.

4-G-rim
04-21-2007, 08:36 PM
A dealer probably has some sort of shop tool that can fix a clogged line. Try Autozone and see if they rent out some sort of tool for unclogging fuel lines. Worst case is probably to replace the fuel line.

manybrews
04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
its not a clogged line. Thats pretty much impossible.

bytchesgetstyches
05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I'd have to agree. This is improbable, but I've seen it happen.... have you checked your fuel filter?

4-G-rim
05-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Try this service bulletin to test the fuel pump on the 6g's. This should eliminate the fuel pump being your issue.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6885/fuelpumptestkh2.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3258/fuelpumptest2xe8.jpg