PDA

View Full Version : Body Kit Prep?

619 CUSTOMS
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey everyone, im getting ready to prep my bodykit for paint. What grit sand paper will work best to get that green gel coat off without leaving any deep scratches? whats the most effective way to get this done? thanks

Danger DANJ
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Why do you want to remove the gel coat? It's not supposed to be removed.

pinoyesv6
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
the key to sanding is to learn how to use the sandpaper.

i mean you can sand the kit all day with 1000 grit paper and eventually get it all off.

or you could start with a heavier grit, work your way up and you'll never know that those scratches were there in the first place.

619 CUSTOMS
03-29-2007, 02:09 AM

I heard that the gel coat needed to be removed because it will cause the paint to chip and look bad...is that right? please let me know, I really wanna get the kit on asap. Thanks

Danger DANJ
04-02-2007, 01:36 PM

I heard that the gel coat needed to be removed because it will cause the paint to chip and look bad...is that right? please let me know, I really wanna get the kit on asap. Thanks
That's the first I've heard of that. The gel coat is the finishing layer over the fiberglass to make it smooth, so when you paint it, the paint is smooth. The only reason I would see to be taking off the gel coat would be if the bumper was cracked and you needed to repair it with fiberglass... you would need to sand away the gel coat so the new fiberglass adheres to the old fiberglass. As far as chipping goes, pretty much all fiberglass bumpers can chip easily from road debris and rocks. As long as the part you are painting is primed properly, the paint will stick fine. Any good body shop will know what is supposed to be done.

Cali
04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
what color is your car? if you want, i'll take a look at it and have it painted for you. PM me.