PDA

View Full Version : Im new

redlobster
11-29-2002, 11:46 AM
I just bought a 96 galant, and i was wondering about air intakes. I read one post that said to buy an integra intake and use it. Is that true that it would work and if its the price that the bid said it was a whole lot cheaper than the weapon r intake i saw.
thanks

Mr. E
11-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Im from the dub too 8) dont know about the intake :?

seth98esT
11-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Welcome to TGC. Well id say that Weapon R intake is a waste of money. I would get this ('http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871980742') off of eBay. You will hafta cut it a few times to make it 2 pieces like this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pbc7491897678190395899a0fdb4027da/fd46da45.jpg

but it is not hard to do. also you will probably hafta stop by home depot and get 2 rubber fittings like the ones in that pic. you will also hafta take out ALL of the factory airbox from the MAS down to the vent thingy on the side of the battery. after that u can now move your battery all the way over and there is a nice hole for your new CAI

hyer717
11-29-2002, 09:05 PM
You could just make one out of pvc!?!? :roll: It's cheap too!

redlobster
11-30-2002, 08:53 PM
is that middle section where the the two chrome tubes meet at that black thingy with the yellow tube coming out is that part of the stock intake or is it extra? I dont know becuz I havent looked at my stock intake in a long time.

BLsGalant97
11-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Yeah that black thing is the MAS..you already have that in your car.

redlobster
11-30-2002, 11:00 PM
alright cool thanks
what should i cut the pipe with? also is there any site or anything
that has a step by step guide to it?

seth98esT
12-01-2002, 12:13 AM
This ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1922&highlight=cai+tutorial') should be helpful. You can either get those pipes off of eBay or u can get the short ram extension for a 92-95 civic at autozone for $39.99 and use it as the cold air extension(only bad thing about this is u do not get the short ram pipe as u woul if u bought the eBay one). so that one long piece that is kinda long and has one bend looks the same as the civic short ram tube u would buy at autozone and that littler piece u would hafta cut a little bit and use it as your short ram

evil-G-nius
12-01-2002, 01:25 AM
um aint pvc plastic piping!? that is real ghetto and in high heat areas plastic can and will melt. especially if it moves and touches something hot. My opinion, dont use it.

TJC
12-01-2002, 02:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimya)</div><div class='quotemain'>um aint pvc plastic piping!? that is real ghetto and in high heat areas plastic can and will melt. especially if it moves and touches something hot. My opinion, dont use it.</div>

Actually PVC can take quite a bit of heat but subjected to lots of heat, I guess it can melt; however, I think plastic is actually a better insulator of heat and therefore will not transfer the heat so easily from the engine bay to the inside of the piping where the air flow is either.

fstrthnu
12-07-2002, 03:29 AM
Hyer717 and myself built a intake out of pvc for my galant like 2 years ago and it's still holding out. Painted it black and it looks like it belongs there.

seth98esT
12-08-2002, 01:07 AM
hey fstrthnu, u have any pics of your car? and your engin bay?

fstrthnu
12-08-2002, 10:23 AM
No. No scanner or digital camera...the only pic I've got is the one you see...and I got that one b/c I checked the coverage of a car show at dropjawmag.com and saw a couple pics of my car. I'll take a some pictures next week and scan them at my bro's after I get the turbo on there next weekend. I'll let you know when some are available.

BTW...I got 2nd in "mitsubishi untamed" at that particular show. Got beat by some 2g eclipse....