PDA

View Full Version : TIMING BELT

nitegsrider
11-30-2002, 12:28 AM
My dad and i replaced a water pump and a new belt. And in order to get to the damn water pump we had to take off all the belts. When we put everything together the damn timing was off. I was wondering if n e one can tell me how to fix this?? Thanks
:shock: NICK :shock:

manybrews
11-30-2002, 09:44 AM
nothing but take it apart and do it again correctly

this is NOT a job i recommend for someone in their driveway.

chances are VERY good that you also have the oil pump balance shaft out of time, as you CANNOT just line up the marks on it and have it be in time. you need to make sure the balance shaft is at the bottom of its bore by removing a plug on the side of the engine and inserting a screwdriver to verify the shaft is indeed at the bottom of its bore.
there is the chance of lining it up 360 degrees off, as the balance shaft spins at 1/2 the speed of the oil pump sprocket.. if its wrong, the balance shaft will actually ADD vibration to the vehical instead of removing it.

also, if the timing is off by more than 2 teeth, chance are REALLY good that you have bent valves from contace with the pistons.

this is not a job for you average backyard mechanic.

evil-G-nius
11-30-2002, 04:08 PM
there should be timing marks on the belt to match up, I just had this done too and I watched th guy do it. He found the marks and lined em up. You guys probably did not do that and that is why it is off

Dark Anghell
12-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Now it's nearly impossible to get the balance shaft matched up correctly (I couldn't). Best thing you can do is to get the rest of the stuff matched up with all the timing marks. As for the balance shaft, you can eliminate it, and gain about 8HP. Check DSM club for more details on the mod.

After you remove the balance shaft, the motor will vibrate at idle, but that's about it, no damage done to the car https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

manybrews
12-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Now it's nearly impossible to get the balance shaft matched up correctly (I couldn't). Best thing you can do is to get the rest of the stuff matched up with all the timing marks. As for the balance shaft, you can eliminate it, and gain about 8HP. Check DSM club for more details on the mod.

After you remove the balance shaft, the motor will vibrate at idle, but that's about it, no damage done to the car https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

that is COMPLETELY wrong.
you will not gain 8 hp.. you may gain 1

the car will not shake at idle, but DOES shake INCREDIBLY as the RPMs increase.

do not under any circumstances remove the balance shafts.

paulbunyan
12-04-2002, 10:09 PM
All,
I have the 1990-2000 Diamante/Galant
book by Chilton. The book has a
great set of instructions. I read
it and I am confidant that I can
do it. I have only worked on V8s
before and VW Rabbits but I'm prety
sure I can do it. Buy the book, I
got mines at Borders but Amazon has
the same one.

paulbunyan

Kain
12-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Yeah, you should always check the timing before putting everything back together. Especially on an interference motor. And if you think a Mitsubishi is tough, take a crack at a Honda sometime....you'll give your vocabulary of four letter words a whole new workout. I had to do a H22 4 times, and that was with the engine on a stand. I don't think I'd ever remove a balance shaft. That's one of the greatest inventions ever! I can't imagine you'd pick up even one hp... I think the power lost through vibration would outweigh the power gained through elimination of paracitic loss. I've never done the Galant, but as it's a SOHC I'd think it'd be really easy as you only have one cam to worry about instead of two. I know on my g32b, I just draped the belt in place and the timing was perfect. Just leave the timing alone. Play with the other, less engine destroying, things.