PDA

View Full Version : torque converter

ct96mitsug
04-08-2007, 09:15 AM
ive been doin some research on some possible transmission changes do to now my galant is boosted. im not sure if i want to do a 5sp swap just yet because ill be short on cash for a while but i was wondering if anyone new much about torque converters. i know that upgrading it would give me more hp potential and i know a little about them from installing them on go-karts but if anybody had some info on a torque converter for the galant i would appreciate it. tearstone has a street one for $450 but i can get one for $350 on ebay (but i wouldnt trust that one). thanks

bronxbombr
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
For that amount of dough the 5spd swap is feasible.

DNSerrano
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I was thinking about this same question. I mean it does say that the street one can handle up to 300hp, while the Pro series gets you up to 500hp. I wouldn't mind having one. Maybe it shifts quicker or extends the rpms a little. I do not know for sure.

seth98esT
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Sure the torque converter could handle that power but theres no way the stock 7g auto trans itself would. Your best bet is a 2g GST auto trans.

Joaltava
04-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Bro for that price you can get the whole 5 speed swap for your galant, i am currently selling my additional 5 speed tranny that comes with everything you need to make the swap, the only thing i suggest is getting yourself a new clutch and flywheel since the stock ones have some miles on them. Let me know if you are interested in the tranny.

ct96mitsug
04-08-2007, 07:06 PM
na, im not gonna do the 5sp swap untill next year, im goin to college soon so i cant afford much and i need my car. plus i would have to pay someone to install the 5sp which i dont have the time or money to do. the torque converter idea was just floatin in my head because i could afford just that and i could have my brother install it in less than a day. and also if i were to do the swap, i would want one with very low miles and good parts in it, preferably a rebuilt one with all new parts. thats why i want to wait for the swap, so i can save for a good tranny and when i have more time.