PDA

View Full Version : First car...

komodo
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey, for some time now I've been cross-referencing between either getting a 'oo-'o2 Celica or a '99-'o3 Galant.

I'm interested in both vehicles equally and have already found quite a number of ads. The only problem is that I'm not fully aware about the Galant, as I am about the Celica, so I wouldn't know what would be a good price for an ES(non-v6) or a GTZ.

I know I'm asking quite a biased group but.. what do you have to say?
I'm out of my province for the rest of the year so I probably won't pick up either vehicle till then but it would be nice to know which to finally decide upon.

seth98esT
04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Depending on year, condition, mileage an 8g could go from $4k-8k. I really wouldnt pay over $8k for a stock GTZ, thats top quality and low miles.

Ive driven an 00 Auto celica and I didnt really care for it. I liked the seats though, they are what I have in my car now haha.

komodo
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
8K American? That would probably be just about 9.2k Canadian. The ONLY GTZ I found available so far is a used 'o3 GTZ, I believe everything is stock, and it has about... 75,000KMs which is about 46,000miles going for just about 13k [which is about 11k American]. I found several 'o2 (or it might have been 'o1) ES (nonv6) averaging about 8-9.5k Canadian which is just about 7-8.3k American.
I must say, though, most of the time I prefer the Galant over the Celica due to its more aggressive styling---but the Galant doesn't come in a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission to start with =[

edit: How much is the insurance on the ES, non V6, and the GTZ on average per year?

mitsueclipse2019
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
8K American? That would probably be just about 9.2k Canadian. The ONLY GTZ I found available so far is a used 'o3 GTZ, I believe everything is stock, and it has about... 75,000KMs which is about 46,000miles going for just about 13k [which is about 11k American]. I found several 'o2 (or it might have been 'o1) ES (nonv6) averaging about 8-9.5k Canadian which is just about 7-8.3k American.
I must say, though, most of the time I prefer the Galant over the Celica due to its more aggressive styling---but the Galant doesn't come in a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission to start with =[

edit: How much is the insurance on the ES, non V6, and the GTZ on average per year?
get a galant and stick around here and theres people here who can hook you up on a 5speed swap 8) :) :wink:

komodo
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM

get a galant and stick around here and theres people here who can hook you up on a 5speed swap 8) :) :wink:

lol That would be pretty sweet. I'd probably need a conversion IF I do, by chance, get a Galant. I was hoping to get an Evo 8 engine swap..

By the way it just occured to me, has anyone seen the Prototype X? Do you think someone/a company might make a Prototype X body kit for the Galant?

seth98esT
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
FrankMB is selling his v6 5spd 8g. He was asking 14k but Im sure if you let him keep his suspension or wheels, you could get it for cheaper! Considering you might end up spending 7-9k on a stock i4/v6 :)

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=55419

komodo
04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
That's a pretty hot 8g. I would've purchased it but I have issues of my own at the moment so... that's out of the question. It's only in a matter of time. Thanks for the information though, I appreciate it =]

anticon
04-12-2007, 01:42 AM
that gen celica is a pretty nice car with more aftermarket support than a galant. plus, you dont see 372 of them on the road daily unlike hondas, etc. 5/6 speed manny tranny takes a lot of hassle out of the deal too, if you're partial to manuals or dont like being slow. i love my G, but i won't hate on a GT-S

gtx
04-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I was hoping to get an Evo 8 engine swap..

-If you want to swap in an EVO engine later on, you need to get an I4
-You can do a 5speed swap from an Eclipse
-Insurance is different for everyone.

I looked into Celicas back in the day, they are nice cars, but the Galant won :lol:

qnz
04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
the celica was never an option to get for me. its a chicks car, like how eclipses are girls cars too.

ive driven that years celica too. i liked the low feeling in the cabin, but the damn wing in the back blocked 1/2 the rearview mirror. i coudlnt look at the tops of cars to see if they were police cars (the lights). i could only tell there were a car behind me but not who was driving it

anticon
04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
QUOTE:
"but the damn wing in the back blocked 1/2 the readview mirror"

hey they make great wingless wonders though 8)

dknight3
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
the celica is 500 pounds less.

Jet Black
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
the celica is 500 pounds less.

700 lbs for the V6.

komodo
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM

I looked into Celicas back in the day, they are nice cars, but the Galant won :lol:

I'm sorry but wht is the 'I4'? Like I stated above I'm not fully educated about Galats. And about the insurance, I know it's different for everyone.. I was jost hoping or an average insurance quote, like... what they would generally charge.

Having auto/manual isn't that big of a deal for me, but I'd prefer a manual vehicle over an automatic.

neepar
04-12-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm sorry but wht is the 'I4'? Like I stated above I'm not fully educated about Galats. And about the insurance, I know it's different for everyone.. I was jost hoping or an average insurance quote, like... what they would generally charge.

Having auto/manual isn't that big of a deal for me, but I'd prefer a manual vehicle over an automatic.
I4 is short for inline 4 which meaning the orientation of the pistons being in a line. I4 is 4 cylinder engine and is what you want if you plan to swap the 4g63t in which is also a 4 cylinder engine, and will require no major mods to get the engine in.

komodo
04-12-2007, 06:33 PM

I4 is short for inline 4 which meaning the orientation of the pistons being in a line. I4 is 4 cylinder engine and is what you want if you plan to swap the 4g63t in which is also a 4 cylinder engine, and will require no major mods to get the engine in.

Oh, so I supose a GTZ would be out of the question in that case then wouldn't it? Hmn, looks like I can save some cash if I purchase the ES and save cash on insurance =]

cdipier2
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
insurance being cheaper definitly depends on where you get it. i have had the same company now for almost 4 years. i just got my new bill and its $997 for the whole year. of course it was at around $1100 last year and $1675 two years ago. i also didnt get collision because it would of went way up

komodo
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
insurance being cheaper definitly depends on where you get it. i have had the same company now for almost 4 years. i just got my new bill and its $997 for the whole year. of course it was at around $1100 last year and $1675 two years ago. i also didnt get collision because it would of went way up

Hmn, sounds pretty good. No collision is always good...

So let's see, Galant ES is capable of an easier Evo 8 engine swap and has cheaper insurance compared to the GTZ... plus it's almost the same thing --- and I'm also assuming the Galant has cheaper insurance than a 'o2 Celica GT/GTS (in manual). Sweetness. Thanks a lot everyone.

split.5050
04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
hey bro the insurance in british colubmia with icbc for $1 million liability, $300 deductible for collision and $300 deductible for comprehensive = $3,250 without any discounts.. i'm getting 30%

looks like you're in canada, so hope that helps..
btw the car i wass looking at easlier had 200k kms, or 130k miles and it's a 2000 i4, going for $7.2k.. this is waay overpriced.. but it's still hard to find a 1999-2001 in canada..

komodo
04-13-2007, 12:19 AM
hey bro the insurance in british colubmia with icbc for $1 million liability, $300 deductible for collision and $300 deductible for comprehensive = $3,250 without any discounts.. i'm getting 30%

looks like you're in canada, so hope that helps..
btw the car i wass looking at easlier had 200k kms, or 130k miles and it's a 2000 i4, going for $7.2k.. this is waay overpriced.. but it's still hard to find a 1999-2001 in canada..

Thanks a lot split, I am in Canada (Ontario right now, at the end of the year I'll be back in Quebec---blahhh). The main thing I am hoping for is that.. my household right now has two vehicles, both my parents, and that I get a vehicle before my older sister for a while so I can have the option of "secondary driver"...

I found a few Galants in the Montreal region for 9-13k with quite low KMs... I'll have to check on them sometime. All except one are the i4s, the other is the GTZ.

6G72gearhead
04-13-2007, 02:02 AM
The Celica GTS is a nice car and are a lot of fun in autocross, the thing I dont like about them is that they are too small, well for me. I have the seat in the galant slammed down as low as it will go and my head still hits the roof on occasion. The other thing I dont like about the celica is its lack of torque just doesnt equate to much fun for me, I like cars that are a violent handfull to drive and the celica is a little too timid. This can be fixed but I like the torque curve of the V6. The fact that you can get the celica in a manual is a real plus and many times I've kicked myself for settling with an auto, but from what I've driven of the eclipse V6's when my tranny swap is done it will be pretty bitchin'. If alpine will sell me an M80 blower kit then lord help us all.