PDA

View Full Version : Front dash airbag removal

MnGalant
08-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Ok im painting the interior of the ride and i was wondering when i go to take off the dash what is the best way to remove the airbag. I know you have to hit the car for it to go off but i have heard of them going off when being messed with.

Nosgalant
08-14-2002, 06:32 PM
I took mine out a couple of weeks ago to paint. There is nothing to it. When you take the glove box door off , take a flashlight and look up into the dash to the bottom left of the airbag unit you will see a yellow plug and bundle of wires wrapped in yellow tape. (1st take neg. bat. cable loose from batt.) now unplug the yellow plug. Now if I remember correctly there will be 4 (10 Mill. ) blots holding the air bag in . They will be gold shiny bolts. Take them out and then push the whole air bag unit up out of the dash. the plastic cover on the dash will be attached to the top of the unit. Just be carefull where you put the airbag unit and don't get it around static electricty. Put back in reverse order and hook neg. batt. cable up last. Hope it helps.

MnGalant
08-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Very nice. That exactlly what i need to know. Thanks

Fishboy55
08-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Just make sure you wait about 5 minutes after you remove the battery cable before you touch the airbag. There's a capacitor in the circuit designed to fire the airbag for a few minutes after the battery is disconnected. Also, make sure you store the airbag face up and don't let it get over 93 degrees, according to the service manual.

Chip

MnGalant
08-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Thats good to know thanks