PDA

View Full Version : search function broken/changed?

qnz
04-15-2007, 09:45 AM
is anyone having trouble with the search function? it seems that older posts arent coming up in searches or maybe im imagining these posts exist.

also, i thoguht the search function worked like this: if someone asks "what type of WHEEL you have", and then I reply "rays",

and then if i wanted to search for that post again by searching "wheel" and "qnz" as the author will not bring up that post. only the posts QNZ said WHEEL in. didnt it used to be different where it would seach the whole post?

Qs
12-22-2008, 01:25 AM
im also having problems with the search button

like where is it ? lol

starh4x
12-22-2008, 02:35 AM
i was flamed the other day and i told the guy the same thing. search never finds shit.

jimmy_o2
12-22-2008, 03:50 AM
First of all i didnt flame u i told u nicely to use the search dont make up crap of lies

dwjp90
12-22-2008, 03:55 AM
use the google search feature

google.com

what ur searching for site:thegalantcenter.net

starh4x
12-22-2008, 04:31 AM
First of all i didnt flame u i told u nicely to use the search dont make up crap of lies

lol it wasnt you that flamed me, and i never lie. ;)

Qs
12-23-2008, 11:54 PM
im kinda of ashamed to ask this but

i mean on the TGC webiste , i cant seem to find the search button....

starh4x
12-24-2008, 12:07 AM
ROFL!! its on that red-ish strip near the top! its not a button it appears as a normal hyperlink.

click it and a text box will pop up.

Qs
12-28-2008, 12:06 AM
User CP Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Quick Links Log Out

thats why im getting at my top red bar

on quick links i got

Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
Networking
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile
Who's

but no search !!!!

sry for being such a newb

il go hide in a corner now :(

starh4x
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
User CP Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Quick Links Log Out

thats why im getting at my top red bar

on quick links i got

Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
Networking
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile
Who's

but no search !!!!

sry for being such a newb

il go hide in a corner now :(

hmm.. i logged in with internet explorer once and the layout was slightly different. Download firefox and then login.

IceDouTGaLanT
12-28-2008, 12:44 AM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/lexani18zz/Picture3-10.png

Qs
12-29-2008, 01:57 AM
ahah i knew something was wrong

yes i am using internet explorer

il try firefox

lor_tek
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes, I agree with the search not working properly. The search is NOT really helpful. Plus not only that, when a noob comes in and ask for parts or where to find parts. Some members that have been here longer than we noob tells us to view the FS Thread or find the FS thread. The problem is, us noob can't view the FS thread due to certain requirements you have to fulfill to be able to view the FS thread. I was flamed on that. But don't take it personally. Some TGC members don't even notice it.

Proto
01-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I just saw this but if you click on search and enter text in the search box it searches posts, thread titles, etc. If want an EXACT search click on Search then Advanced Search from the menu.

qnz
01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
this post was about a year ago. I just did some testing and it works the way that it should, i guess.

i remembered on the old forum, if someone posted a keyword such as "math" and then I post "ok", if i did a search for "math" and the arthur "qnz", that thread would show up.

with the new search, only the threads were "qnz" says "math" shows up.

I dont know if the old search was broken or this is but I liked the old search better. It broguht up more topics that were still relevant.

peanotation
01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
i've been trying to find a thread all night, the search function is broken. i dont know if it's different for other users, but its fubar for me

Proto
01-26-2009, 12:04 AM
what thread?

peanotation
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
i found it anyways, but whatever i put into the search box, anything, everything, every combination, nothing comes back. i put in MOD, turbo, coilover, words that i know exist in excess in thread topics and posts, all search results = 0

Proto
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Rebuilt the search completely so it should work better.

RAZ_76
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I think all the noobs were searching too much and broke it...:lol:

peanotation
02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
i just verified the same results from 5 different computers from 3 completely different ISP connections.

per this thread:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34518

i tried pretending i was the dude and searched as if i wanted to the pursue the 4 to 5 lug swap.

(all of this done under advanced search with search titles only selected)

ideally i want to find this thread:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14351

(disc is mispelled as disk, so kept that out)

searched for '4 lug to 5 lug'; nothing
searched for '7G rear drum'; found it
searched for '7g 4 lug'; nothing

if he searched for 7g rear disc, he'd only find my thread, not blue ice's because of the mispelling, but if he was searching for the lug conversion, never gonna happen

Proto
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
The search is built into vB. We don't develop the software all we can do is try to better it with some modification.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : 4, to, 5

Galant306m
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
The search is built into vB. We don't develop the software all we can do is try to better it with some modification.

Usually i can remember who started the thread. so i find them and just go through their threads. the search tool is ok but it pulls up every thread that has the word you searced for in it.

If you search TO every thread on this board would come up in the search. Thats why everyone has a problem with it.

Proto
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm going to rebuild the search index one more time..

peanotation
02-05-2009, 11:19 PM
maybe the 4 to 5 lug part was a sub title? didn't we use to use that back a while?

Qs
02-21-2009, 02:33 AM
u guys are just great :D :P

everything works numero uno

!!!